Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road Club Recommendations Newcastle / SE Northumberland?? (sorry!)
  • LardLover
    Free Member

I’m wanting to join a road club in the Newcastle / South East Northumberland area and was wondering if anyone could recommend one. My riding buddy was severely injured following a motorcycle accident a couple of months back and now that I don’t have a regular riding buddy I’m finding it harder to get out for a ride, severe lack of motivation etc.
    So thought I’d give a club a go, something to give me the motivation to get off my arse and get out.

I know of:

Wansbeck
    Cramlington
    Gosforth
    Tyneside Vagabonds

Wansbeck would be ideal as I live in Morpeth but someone who rides for them puts me off asking if I can join them for a ride 🙄 (someone I used to work with for years).

Is it the done-thing to ‘try’ out a few clubs before committing??

Does anyone ride for any of the above clubs?

Thanks for looking.

Neil.

Drac

Use to be one at Amble I think, the bike shop there would give you better details.

Or you could come out again on your MTB, Wednesday evenings have started back up.

Oh or and keep this quiet, I sometimes do road rides. Shhh!

You have my details.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

many many years ago road a couple of times with Gosforth, usually up to Rothbury and back kind of distance, think they meet at Regent Centre, at the time seemed nice bunch.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

First choice has to be the Newcastle Vagabonds, firstly it’s named after a city, so must be biggerer and besterest and also, who doesn’t want to be a vagabond? A second and perfectly valid approach would be to pick the club with the best looking kit. I applied a combination of the above and it worked out well for me.

toons
    Free Member

Ask Carbon337 he’s started shaving his legs

paul78
    Free Member

Gosforth are your best bet for a mixed ability group … always get 20 plus riders whatever the weather and the group splits mid ride to shorter longer (read normal pace and race for the cafe)…

… they do however have their fair share of crashes due to a very ‘mixed’ ability group but if you know how to ride in a group you will be fine

Drac

Ask Carbon337 he’s started shaving his legs

Oh aye I guess he’ll know about the Amble one.

LardLover
    Free Member

Breeze Bikes Lee? They’ve got some fast boys, might struggle to keep up, especially if Quentin is still riding for them…………..!

LardLover
    Free Member

Never rode in a group paul78, so a club that would be patient with a beginner would be good, albeit an older beginner.

Drac

Yup Breeze, not sure of their abilities as I only ride with friends still.

jonba
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware there was a club called Newcastle Vagabonds. There are the Tyneside Vagabonds as mentioned in the OP. The only one that springs to mind other than those you’ve mentioned is Barnesbury CC.

As a member of Gosforth RC I can only really give an opinion on them. I don’t ride with them a massive amount although I know the guys who race the TLIs and do the odd Sunday training run. We do Saturday Cafe runs of about 50 miles, nice to do but not strenuous or preparation for racing. Sunday long rides of about 70 miles normally in two groups, a training ride and a social ride. Although this time of year it’s all social. You could happily go along to the wednesday chain gangs but they are not organised by Gosforth they seem fairly informal although Chris Bush seems to take charge and offer good advice when he’s there. I’m giving them a miss this year as I didn’t find them much help with fitness last year as I was struggling in the fast group and spinning in the medium group. I prefer to train on my own I think.

There are a few mountainbikers amongst them, some occasional riders, other, like me who are actually only part time roadies. We normally get half a dozen people out at the TLI races on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and a few at the Wednesday night Timetrials. No idea about BC because I don’t do them.

I’ve enjoyed riding with them. The club runs are well thought out and safe (not sure about the comment above haven’t heard of many at all in the last three years). They are very active in that people do all sorts of riding. Club chairman Peter Harrison is very good. Runs the NR Cyclone every year and this year got us the national championships on the same weekend which was excellent. Club competitions each year and social events.

It would really depend what you’re after. I’d say they weren’t hardcore racers and if you want training rather than riding you might want a more competitive club.

Breeze bikes- seem quick in races, no idea if they are a proper club or an informal team. There are a few others like this that regularly turn up at races but the names escape me.

Membership is £10. You won’t need to pay for a while so you can come out on a good few rides to decide if you are happy. Saturday mornings for a start and then ask whats going on on Sunday. I’ll be out this Saturday if you want to say high Focus Cayo. I only really know the guys that ride Sunday and race though.

Website has more info. Peter will probably respond to any direct questions through the site or I can tell you what I think on here.

jonba
    Free Member

LardLover – Member
    Never rode in a group paul78, so a club that would be patient with a beginner would be good, albeit an older beginner.

Come out with Gosforth on a Saturday. Ideal, no one is left behind the pace is moderate and people will happily give you tips on bunch riding.
    Often some very experienced riders out, especially now the season is ending for most.

carbon337
    Free Member

Im here – shaven and everything – Toons – i think you secretly want a stroke of them dont you?

I ride with Breezes on a Tuesday night – they do a Sunday run too starting from Alnwick. Normally 2 groups 1 slow, 1 fast – I started in slow with good MTB fitness and quickly progresses to fast group now.

Its very relaxed and there isnt any race training so im looking to do some riding with another group aswell next year so i can get some racing in. We normally just ride for a laugh and sportive training.

If Dieter is there or Neil Baxter then it normally is quite hard but a good laugh too.

toons
    Free Member

I can’t get my head around men saving their legs! Why would you bother (I’ve heard the crashing argument) and the only reason I can think is been a transvestite.

carbon337
    Free Member

But where do you stop when your shaving your pubes Jamie?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Hairy underpants anybody?

LardLover
    Free Member

Can’t make it tomorrow jonba, sadly, said I’d keep a colleague company on a ride. When are you next out jonba?

I’m not looking to race although I’d let to get some sort of structured training rides so that I can get some better times on sportives. I like the longer rides, up until my mate had his accident we would regularly do rides of 70 – 80 miles, done a few 100+ miles as well. Not race pace but quite quick imho. Just been off the bike for a few weeks so feeling unfit. . Managed this years Cyclone (106 miler) in 6hr 45min ish.

paul78
    Free Member

Lardlover, riding in a group is common sense .. be mindful of the person in front of you.. let people behind you know of any obstructions/pot holes etc 🙂

Gosforth would be a good intro to club riding.

jonba, I know of at least one decent sized Gosforth crash that left bikes in pieces last year… I ride right off the back or on the front when riding with the group ..

LardLover
    Free Member

Can I just turn up on the day paul78? Or do I need to ask someone if can tag along?

Cheers

paul78
    Free Member

I’m not part of the organisation but I think the accepted method is just drop Peter Harrison an email and let him know you are turning up .. otherwise I see no harm in you just turning up on a saturday morning and riding .. its not that formal and group changes week on week…

Will be organising an alternative saturday ride when winter hits using cross bikes if you have a cross bike and wanna tag along … gets riders off roads and onto network of good offroad trails we have in North east

LardLover
    Free Member

I dont’ have a cross bike………………….yet, but it is on my radar!

Just emailed Peter expressing an interest in tagging along. If you see a new face on a red Bianchi please say hello.

Thanks

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road Club Recommendations Newcastle / SE Northumberland?? (sorry!)’ is closed to new replies.