Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road closures for Tour of Britain
  • BigR

Hoping to go a watch the TOB as they climb past the Devil Beeftub but can’t work out if the road will be shut. As I am dragging the family to watch Cav et al probably going to drive. Anyone know if road will be closed?

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t know the definitive answer but normally the ToB uses a rolling road closure.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

There is no climb on the beeftub its a decent into Moffat.

MoreCashThanDash

Rolling road closures usually, iirc.

crazy-legs

Rolling road closure, usually enforced about 15 mins before the actual race appears.

Forward announcer is about 10 mins in front of the race, he stops at intervals and tells the crowd what is going on with the race, then there’s yet more NEG motorbikes, forward convoy (often including judges and maybe VIP guests who will leapfrog ahead to sprint points etc), then the race, then the rear convoy of team cars, Commissaires, more motos and eventually a rear police presence to lift the road closure. Depending on the terrain the road can be closed for up to 30 mins. Plan well ahead, get there in advance and park up.

OCB
    Free Member

The relevant local authority should have fixed road closures listed on their website, otherwise it’ll be a rolling road-closure – from memory last years Dartmoor crossing was from about 20 minutes before the lead rider, then opened again not too long after the broom-wagon went through (which was maybe 10 minutes behind the race itself?).

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Finsih in Dumfries is closed all day, the Dalbeattie extension loop is closed for part of the day (10-2.30pm I think). Interesting that an article in the local paper says that a bus is being put on to take people from the finish area up to the Beeftub to watch riders and will be back in Dumfries for the finish so it sounds like a temporary closure aswell.

Mind you, the weather forecast is miserable at the moment, I don’t think I would want to be up teh beeftub watching the race in up to 50 mph winds and rain, especially if I wasn’t a cyclist!

Hoping to be on (or near) the finish line though!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its going to be a tough cycle for them tomorrow, the decent at Talla Res is very steep and narrow, gets pretty bleak out there if the weather is bad.

I see a cyclist died out there last week.

OCB
    Free Member

Wow, just ignore this, it was weird duplicate post that turned up 34 minutes after the first one. Where had it been all that time?

😯

project
    Free Member

Down load the press pack, a lot of very interesting reading along with all the timings etc.

http://WWW.TOUROFBRITAIN.CO.UK
    Its also on ITV4 on sunday after the veulta, at 18.00, and 19.00 for the tour

BigR

Thanks, no info on traffic Scotland when i looked. Planning to get there 45 mins before they are due.

Steve – there are points for a climb on the Moffat road – hard to believe I know as it is more of a steady drag before the drop into Moffat.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It sure is a steady drag, road it a few weeks ago and didnt realise in the car just what a drag it is from tweedsmuir to the top of the beeftub. Its about 150m ascent over 8 miles. Legs were burning.

BigR

Wind is more likely to be a hindrance than the gradient.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road closures for Tour of Britain’ is closed to new replies.