Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road cable disc brakes, advice please
  • MrBlond
    Free Member

Have recently acquired a disc compatible frame and would appreciate any advice on disc brakes for use with road levers (campag ergos).

From a bit of searching and googling I get the impression that although tektro Lyras are 100g lighter per end (and cheaper) Avid BB7s are the way to go – thoughts?

This is for my touring bike so I’m thinking power and reliability is more important that weight, but I imagine a few more people have used the Lyras now as they seem to be on a lot of bikes.

Also it sounds like cabling is reasonably critical, so I may actually get some decent cables for this rather than the usual generic outers and inners. I’m using ergo levers, and interrupt levers on the flats so am thinking something these:

http://road.cc/content/review/6044-jagwire-racer-gearbrake-cable-set

with the extra flexible sections would be a good idea

TIA

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think I’ve heard some bad things re. lyras, I use BB7 and BB5s and love both, seems most do.

Std cables OK here, if I was to upgrade it would be to full metal jackets (or a DIY version), but I don’t feel the need.

kiwijohn

BB7s have been around for years virtually unchanged. Says something about the original design. & the pads aren’t hard to find either.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Another BB7 user here (on 105 and Versa levers). As Al says, std cables are fine – for minimum maintenance go for full length outers (have yet to touch the brake cables on the 105 bike in 3 years…. last time they were changed was when the outer rusted through)

Peyote
    Free Member

I’ve used BB5s and Lyras, both pretty much the same power wise, i.e. a lot better than cantilevers, on a par with well set up road callipers in the dry. Excellent (and better than the others) in the wet.

BB5s and Lyras are pretty much of a muchness as far as setting up and using (changing pads, adjusting etc…). The only difference I’ve noticed is the discs on the Lyras encourage fork judder.

Road BB7s are on my wishlist, never used them, but they have a remarkably good reputation and a few additional features over BB5s and Lyras. If you’ve got the cash, I’d plump for these, personally anyway!

_tom_
    Free Member

BB7s are brilliant. Mine locks up and modulates as well as both a Juicy 5 and also a Formula K18. Only difference is the lever feels a bit flexier due to the cable stretching. I’m taking a BB7, lever and length of cable to Canada with me as a backup in case one of my hydros fails 🙂

tobymc

I have lyras on the Roadrat and BB5s on the Rig. Standard cabling, havent carried much luggage on either, but i’ve no problems. perhaps BB5s are a bit more powerful? Would recommend both TBH…

MrTall
    Free Member

My Road BB7’s have been great on my Fargo (paired with 105 levers). Standard cabling as well. Good modulation and power, couldn’t ask for more really.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I use BB7’s on my commuter/touring/audax bike. They’re great, apart from the banshee squeal in the wet. Std cabling here too. Power-wise they’re very good … happy stopping me plus 110litres of compost.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s no way to speak of the GF, ADH.

Oh and isn’t everyone forgetting the std stw opinion that there’s no point in discs on road bikes? 🙄 😛

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

lol. She’d be about 40l of compost anyway …

cynic-al
    Free Member

compost is less dense than humans Shirley?

Not calling her thick or anything 😛

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

This compost was moist. Positively damp in fact.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Thanks all

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

BB7’s here too, work great, easy to adjust. I actually bought the MTB version for my MTB after using them.
    Watch the youtube video for setup advice.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

there’s no point in discs on road bikes

I think thats why people have replaced the phrase “road bike” with commuter, tourer, audax, or just “bike with drop bars” etc.. 😉

thehustler
    Free Member

Tektro Io’s? on my boardman,v powerful and been utterly reliable for over 3 years now (not even a pad change)

roady_tony
    Free Member

checkout the US based stored for BB5/7’s as i found them cheaper than UK.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road cable disc brakes, advice please’ is closed to new replies.