Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road brakes question
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Is it worth paying more for higher-end calipers?

Say Ultegra vs. 105 or Tiagra

firestarter
    Free Member

i had 105 then ultegra and now some the shimano deep drop ones think they are 105 standard maybe tiagra all pretty much of a muchness to me

geoffj

Biffer with Tiagra here – nicely set up they are great.
    Obviously not disc stopping power, but then again you don't need discs on a road bike 😐

simondbarnes

Not really. Anything from Tiagra up works very well (not tried sora brakes). When the pads wear out then fit some decent replacements – something like the dura-ace cartridges or some swiss stop greens.

JoeNation
    Free Member

Main difference is weight and pads, unless you're talking super-pricey (Dura Ace, Record, Red, boutique stuff). Go for decent ones if you can afford it, if not upgrade pads on the cheaper ones when they wear out.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Get something with a cartridge pad in a metal shoe. The difference between a block such as Sora and a cartridge such as 105 is noticable. My 105 were miles better than my Sora.

zaskar
    Free Member

Guy I rode with changed his Tektro to Ultegra and nothing changed.

I did notice a difference from buying decent pads especially in the wet and keep your rims clean.

I hate going dh on my roadbike in the wet at 30mph+ you brake and squeeze equally and still have time to think of your loved ones and whats on in the cinema…

Mister-P
    Free Member

One thing to consider if you are buying brand new calipers then new Dura Ace 7900 series and new Ultegra 6700 series are designed to run with a different cable pull to the older stuff so mixing will not give the right performance or feel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road brakes question’ is closed to new replies.