Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road brakes, bars, stem etc – what's decent these days?
  • RustySpanner

Looking to replace a 1996 quill stem road frame with something a little more comfortable.

New frame will be 1/18th threadless, so I need a new 44cm bar and matching stem.
    Quite like to try a modern bar, pretty open as to shape but nothing too long or deep.
    Need a post and new brakes too.

Thing is, I have absolutely no idea what’s decent value and quality in roadie kit these days.
    Could stay with the retro stuff, but fancy a change.

Easton for carbon posts?

And rim brakes.
    I assume things have moved on from my 80’s Tektros?
    🙂
    105 ok or worth spending a bit more/better alternative?

All advice welcome,
    Thanks in advance.

jimc101
    Free Member

For bar & stem, pick your price point, and favorite brand, nothing really bad out there nowadays. Easton make good stuff, just like many others.

For brake calipers, these really need to match the brake levers, ID what you have and either get appropriate, or why not look at just replacing the pads with a modern compound.

RustySpanner

Levers are 8 speed Shimano.
    Wasn’t looking at replacing the transmission as it’s all decent and newish.

jimc101
    Free Member

Without knowing what 8 speed Shimano you have, if you were looking at 105, would be looking for 5600 or 5500, both are going to be hard to find as they have bee OOP for many years now, if looking at current Shimano Tiaga (4600/4500) or Claris calipers would work fine with older shifters

RustySpanner

Ah.
    Bugger.
    They’re 8 speed 105.

How about Campag/SRAM – do they work with older shifters?
    Might just keep the oldies.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road brakes, bars, stem etc – what's decent these days?’ is closed to new replies.