Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road brakes – 5700 -105 or Ultegra 6700
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

Will I actually notice a difference between the 2 options for upgrading my no make brakes on an old steel Giant that I am commuting on along a very very hilly route.

I currently only have sora 3300 levers but I do have a set of Tiagra 5500 when I can afford a 9 speed rear wheel and mech to make the change from 7 speed block.

The 105 brakes are £22.49 from CRC

The Ultegra are 29.99 from CRC

ransos
    Free Member

Think the Ultegra 6700 calipers use a different pull ratio to the older models – not sure your levers would be compatible.

scotroutes

5700 and 6700 have the same cable pull

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Got both and pretty even on stopping power.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Does anybody know if their is a table of pull ratios etc so I can see what might be compatable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’ll be no difference.

6800 has longer cable pull and presumably others.

FWIW Campag calipers are cheaper and IMO offer good performance.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I replaced the in-house calipers on my bike with 5700 series 105 calipers, mainly because the rest of the groupset was 105 & the original calipers terrified me.
    Very happy with the performance and build quality of the 105’s although the stock pads aren’t great it very wet conditions.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

from a similar Q on bikeradar

Just got off the phone with Madison.

Ultegra 6700 & DA7900 are not backward compatible – both STI’s pull different amounts of cable due to the new cable routing.

So newer calipers wont work optimally with older levers. Not aware of any mechanical difference between 5700 and 6700 calipers, but neither is designed to work with your levers.

6800 is different again I believe due to the change in pivot design.

palmer77
    Free Member

As it happens I have a pair of 5700 for sale for £25 posted 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-sping-clear-out-isla-bikes-a-thomson-easton-etc

mboy
    Free Member

5700 to 6700 brake difference is the same as with the rear mechs. No appreciable difference when new, but slightly higher quality hardware on the Ultegra means it will keep performing well for longer. At only £7.50 per caliper more, I’d buy the Ultegra.

6800 calipers are a whole new kettle of (extremely powerful!) fish though.

Campag calipers do work very well as cynic-al says, normally better than their Shimano equivalent. BUT… They don’t have any form of opening mechanism on the caliper (it’s on the lever on Campag) so you can’t really use them with Shimano shifters unless you deflate the tyre first each time when you remove a wheel. Might not be an issue if you’re running 20c tyres, but as most people are moving from 23’s to 25’s now, it would matter.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Palmer are they black or silver.

palmer77
    Free Member

Black

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road brakes – 5700 -105 or Ultegra 6700’ is closed to new replies.