Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road brake help
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

The rear brake on my defy is driving me crazy.
    Basically I cannot get the thing setup. The side where the cable is, doesn’t seem to want to return i.e. it’s always in contact with the rim.
    Can anyone help out a road calliper biff??

oldgit
    Free Member

Right this isn’t exactly a technical approach, but it’s what I’ve been doing for decades.
    Calipers don’t like to be over tightened. Loosen it then centre it. Tighten up slowly whilst holding the caliper in place. Just pinch it up and test it, it should be fine. Over tighten it and it’ll ‘squash’ the caliper making it sticky.
    Edit: I assume it’s cock-eyed and sticking? some calipers have an adjuster on the side, but it probably over tightened.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Is it the bolt in the arch you are on about???
    Cheers.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes the bolt that attaches it to the frame.
    Another problem can be the pad sticking on the rim. Sometimes if the pad ‘misses’ the rim it can get stuck under it. Make sure when you apply the brake the pad hits the rim face on.
    Don’t worry, calipers are simple mechanics – you’ll get it working.

oldgit
    Free Member

You should see the whole caliper start to move toward the rim when you start to over tighten it.
    Hold the caliper in place with your finger, as you tighten it up you’ll start to feel the caliper moving, that’s when you know it’s too tight.

Obvious things like un-lubed cables and unevenly worn pads won’t help.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Thanks for your help 🙂

Will have a looksie in the morning.

djc1245
    Free Member

There should be a nut with 2 flats, similar to a cone type thing on the side nearest the brake. Should be able to turn that using a spanner to centre the brake.
    Not a very good description i know

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Mrs was watching x factor so meandered out to the garage.
    Oldgit you are a star!!! Loosened the allen bolt, then compressed the brake and tightened and et voila springyness!!!! I do need a new brake cable though 🙁
    Thank you again for your help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road brake help’ is closed to new replies.