Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road Brake Caliper/Lever Compatability
  • AngusWells

My wife’s road bike requires new brake calipers to be paired with 2004 Tigra STI levers (ST4400). None of the current brake calipers (Tiagra upwards) are listed as being compatible with the levers. Is the cable pull really that different on the newer calipers or do I need to go with the generic R650 calipers?

I’m not prepared to save the cash and let her hurtle downhill to certain death. Just thought I’d get this in before anyone suggests it.

njee20
    Free Member

5600, 6600 and 7800 will all work fine, sure you can track some of those down.

AngusWells

Very prompt. Ta.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re all similar cable pulls*, using the ‘wrong’ one won’t result in death. I’m running planet-x callipers with 7800 levers and have no problems with the power, the swisstop pads probably have more to do with that than the callipers through.

*Otherwise how would 3rd party CX cantis, TT mini-V’s, disks, or just 3rd party road calliper brakes work? the worst you’ll get is a bit more power and less modulation, or more modulation and less power.

If you need some cheep i’ve probably got some old tektro ones that came on a bike with 4400. Pads are a bit old and probably hard, but they still worked.

AngusWells

TINAS, thanks for the offer. I have my eyes on some 105 5600s as I might as well match things properly if possible. If it doesn’t work out though I might be back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road Brake Caliper/Lever Compatability’ is closed to new replies.