Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Road biking for fun – not commuting or training
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

is this why proper roadies dont acknowledge me?

No, we aknowlage no one except the holy trinity of pain, suffering and tan lines.

But seriosuly, get some decent cycling shorts. Riding in baggies is like driving a car that’s only firing on 3 cylinders, you’ve forgotten to put any pants on than the seat is made from sandpaper.

Unless this is you.

mindmap3
    Free Member

all that full Lycra nonsense too, not for me either

Always thought the same, but when I bought a road bike I indulged and wouldn’t want to ride a road bike in baggy gear. Everyone looks a bit silly in lycra (especially when you step away from the bike) but it just works on a road bike. Bib shorts / tights are so comfy.

ads678

Yep, I’ve fully embraced lycra now as well, it just feels so nice against the skin!! Better in the rain as well, you just don’t feel as wet.

Still ride the MTB with baggies though.

funkhouser
    Free Member

i wear my padded lycras.. under my tightest mtb shorts! and quite a fitted nike running top so not too bad. i will never go all out roadie!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I spend most of my time on the road now. I bought a touring bike for long tours and it has now become my main bike, I love just going out in baggy shorts, t-shirt and exploring or looking for a nice pub.

Found some lovely spots not far from home.

hora
    Free Member

3cylinder cars beat many hands down.

stumpy01

hora – Member
    Use it purely for fitness. On a level of hate, I view the gym as by far far worse, riding on rollers for idiots. A road bike allows us to get outside into the beautiful evening air. It drives out the stress and you comeback more relaxed.

Ready for the weekend.

This is my take on road bikes. I got one purely as a means to get fitter and get evening rides in after work.
    I used to do this by means of a slick set of wheels on my Inbred, but eventually decided to do it properly.

I do enjoy road rides when I’m out with a group of mates, but that’s because I’m out with a group of mates, not because it’s a road ride.

jam-bo

3cylinder cars beat many hands down.

but generally not when they are designed to be running on four…

mindmap3
    Free Member

OP, not being funny but you seem to be viewing the concept of road riding with s bit of contempt and negativity which will never help with the enjoyment.

Did you try it / buy one because you wanted to it because you felt that you should?

Again not trying to be funny just asking as it seems a lot of people are doing it because others are or because they think they should rather than seeing the appeal and wanting to.

hora
    Free Member

When I swing my leg over my road bike I like to glance sideways, watch the countryside, then look ahead- wiggle the steering slowly down the lane, over humpback bridges I’ll lean abit more to see how much Ican with time on the bike, I like the feeling that rather than 40mins in a car- I’m straight out of the door and already on my ride. After 2hours I can do other stuff.

Its not contempt. Its just the sister of your wife. You like her, you like spending time with her but you don’t sleep with her and get all ‘nasty.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

This may be why you’re not enjoying it. 2 hours in baggies on the road bike would leave anyone grimaceing.

Why?

hora
    Free Member

This may be why you’re not enjoying it. 2 hours in baggies on the road bike would leave anyone grimaceing.

Missed this bit. I ride in padded lycra with green cargo shorts over the top. I don’t even notice the pants are on when riding.

I really do think unless you are a pro, in a competition or hitting a huge/all day ride either in the rain or scorching sun why do you need to look like a giant clingfilmed-sausage?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I really do think unless you are a pro, in a competition or hitting a huge/all day ride either in the rain or scorching sun why do you need to look like a giant clingfilmed-sausage?

because some of us look good in it 🙂 …

I did an early road ride in a baggy jersey, and quickly got sick of being flapped to death. Wear what makes you comfortable. For me thats lycra on a road bike.

ceepers

I thought i’d never buy a road bike but a year after getting one, i really enjoy it, although id still rather mtb if i could only do one. My rides fit into 3 categories, much like the posts above. i reckon there’s something to embrace in there.

1) strava on, punish yourself for an hour, enjoy “working out” outside instead of in the gym and enjoy strava telling you you’re getting fitter. There’s no faff or hours of de-mudifying afterwards and stuff doesnt break as often. Your mtb rides will improve from added fitness

2)social rides with friends on quiet country roads. It’s much easier to chat cruising on a road ride than a singletrack epic.

3) the distance you can cover under your own steam, seeing places close to home you would never have been to otherwise.

I’m lucky, i live in a rural location with plety of scenery straight from the door and little traffic.

summing up, this was halfway into a 50 miler on exmoor on monday, you cant argue with a view like that, from the coast all the way to dartmoor! I could have be up there off road but would have spent 40 minutes in the car for the privilege instead of enjoyiong the sunshine and fresh air

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s nothing really to get. If you don’t enjoy it, then that’s fine. Not everyone likes the same things.

That’s it in a nutshell really. There are things I don’t like doing, I’m not confused or annoyed about it. I would struggle to be motivated to play crown-green bowls, but some folks love it.

I absolutely love riding my road bike, I like getting up early at the weekend and doing long rides on tiny wee roads, seeing the countryside. But it takes me about a minute to get on small country roads from my front door. Don’t suppose it would be much fun if I had a 10 mile ride through a city before getting on the open road then I guess I wouldn’t find it so much fun.

I guess that depends how fit you are, at 68kg I’d need to wear kids clothes to look like an cling filed sausage.

mogrim

You’re going to look like a **** anyway, even if you wear baggies, so you might as well wear the most practical and comfortable clothes. Which is lycra.

hora
    Free Member

Ceepers thats the sort of top that I’m after- what is it/model?

True- I just don’t want to be reminded of my fun-sized marsbar everytime I glance down 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Castelli Gabba jersey? although I think its a bit more muted.

ceepers

hora, thats not me but my friend Rob who has much more disposable income than anyone who hasn’t retired at 40 after years of bonuses!

I think its one of the new Gabba tops by castelli, its a sort of neoprene kinda feel and is waterproof. I think lots of pros were using them in the giro. It might well be hideously expensive! He says it’s really good!

He is exceedingly quick on a road bike so he might have all the gear but has the speed to back it up!

hora
    Free Member
    ceepers

Yikes!

althogh i should have guessed, it’s about the only thing he wears that isnt Rapha!

It did help me keep him in sight as he disappeared up the road on a couple of climbs!

Duggan

I’m far from iron-man but even I can tell how much comfier lycra is if you’re really pushing yourself.

If you can’t understand it just go and enter a race or ride flat out in the sun for an hour with baggies on, you’ll soon realise.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

pleased to see its not just me then…

Nope, same here.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Gabba is well worth the money, a great bit of kit. The same cut as their aero jerseys but made out of a softshell type fabric that sort of repels water, deals ok with showers. Great for winter and spring rides.

riding on rollers for idiots.

I spend rather a lot of time on rollers/turbo 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Edit- hi-caramba!

You’re not in the roadie mindset.

I’ll hallpily wear a T-shirt on the MTB, however on the road bike it’s about buying the clothes that make you as comfortable as you can be, then riding just a little bit longer/harder to make it uncomfortable again.

Hence £180 is perfectly reasnoble for a jersey that lest you ride in shitty weather.

I’ve a £70 Endura FS260 jersey that does similar and ends up being my most worn bit of kit.

Missed this bit. I ride in padded lycra with green cargo shorts over the top. I don’t even notice the pants are on when riding.

Weren’t you moaning a week or so ago about how you couldn’t find a comfortable saddle?

hora
    Free Member

Werent you the one that me and other posters corrected on said topic?

Its about the saddle v your sitbones for you not a thin layer of fabric ontop. Feel free to re review said topic again.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry Im surly. THREE different young females tonight tried killing me on the bike.

scotroutes

Road biking is shit.

For a start, there’s nothing work looking at….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/moMERa]Untitled[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8aF882]A Druidh – and some stones[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

…you never get to anywhere interesting…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8cgeQM]20062010312[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8cjzmm]20062010307[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

… there’s all those crappy nutritional supplements you have to eat …

… and nothing exciting ever happens.

JCL
    Free Member

Road riding = Pedalling.

Mountain biking = Riding.

I use the road bike for training but it’s pure crap from an enjoyment point of view. If that isn’t the way you see it your mountain bike trails suck.

5thElefant
    Free Member

what is it I’m missing? I’m not trolling, i genuinely want to ‘get it’ ??

I’m doing lejog in a few weeks so I’ve had to get a road bike. I don’t think you’re missing anything. Road riding is a just dull way to get between pubs.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

JCL’s poor effort at trolling even more weakened coming after Scotroutes post. Road riding, single speeding, fat biking, every subset is valid if it works for you, if it doesn’t theres others that hopefully will.

hora
    Free Member

Road cyclings good. I was lost in thoughts/daydreaming yesterday and was passed by a few roadies, one said a warm hi, another (on a Lapierre so I’m assuming a mountain biker) didn’t but he was also shit at overtaking two other riders too.

Anyway, I was lost in thought but then the usual happens. This is partly why mountain biking will always win.

I don’t want to die because Liam’s now going out with Jane and Kev’s jealous and wont leave it. Oh and the hair appointment has now been moved to Tuesday.

Why should I die painfully and never see my loved ones again because some stupid **** bint who will end up having more stupid mouth-breathing versions of her lives on and I die?

They say men are the most dangerous on the roads. I disagree, I think the figures are based on 17-21yr old males (who are proven to roll/crash more than anyone else even though they make up a tiny percentage of drivers on the roads). Its females that cause the most accidents IMO.

Therefore no matter what you roadie-fans will say ‘I like to see the countryside’ – HOW? You cant look/admire whilst pedalling because you’ve got to make sure you don’t veer out. You can only glance and think death may come from behind.

mindmap3
    Free Member

You’re on the wrong roads…I’m further south than you and even I can get onto some nice empty roads where I don’t see any cars. Lovely. Get right out into the sticks.

Not wanting to get into the driving debate too much but even the STW driving gods must make the odd error from time to time.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re doing it wrong, or maybe I’m really lucky with the roads around Sheffield. But I go straight out of my door and can ride some fantastic winding roads around the hills. I’ve done rides of 20+ miles where I see less than 10 cars. Usually it’s a bit busier than that example, but I certainly don’t fear for my life as you seem to be suggesting.

I dunno, I love riding my road bike. And then I get back on my MTB and I remember I love that too. If you don’t enjoy it, don’t do it. Simple.

Edit: Actually, don’t you live in Sheffield, hora? Go out around dungworth/bradfield/strines. If you don’t enjoy that then I’d probably just give up.

mindmap3
    Free Member

If you don’t enjoy that then I’d probably just give up.

Exactly. There’s lots of things that I don’t get or enjoy so I, er, don’t do them. Simples.

But this is STW were logic has no place.

Bregante

I love hearing how hora’s been out on his road bike again but diced with death and has endured it rather than enjoyed it.*

I live just a few miles from you and in 18 months of road riding I think I’ve only had two “moments” with drivers. Are you sure you’re cut out for this hora?

*Every time you use that bike I’m knocking £25 off my final offer 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Bregante its females too. Ex-Girlfriends? £25 less? The good thing is PlanetX are raising their prices to counter you 😉

You’re on the wrong roads

if only I lived nearer the good stuff? 🙂

I don’t live in Sheffield, just hang around the Peaks most weekends.

but even the STW driving gods must make the odd error from time to time.

I made one in Trafford Park- it’d been a serious/fatality if I hadn’t turned my wheel at the last moment. I pulled over and apologised though. Thats all a driver has to do, even if its a raised hand.

Anyway…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You’re on the wrong roads…I’m further south than you and even I can get onto some nice empty roads where I don’t see any cars. Lovely. Get right out into the sticks.

I live just north of Oxford, a couple of miles from the junction of the M40. Within 5 minutes of leaving my door I’m on quiet rural roads. The few drivers I do meet are in the vast majority patient and courteous, and get a thank-you wave accordingly.

Did a 75 mile loop with a mate on Tueday, occasionally took us on some pretty heavily trafficked A and B roads. Closest we came to death was having a red kite take off from its kill on the grass verge as we drew alongside and startled it, missing the front wheel by inches 😯

jonba
    Free Member

Went out last night for 2 hours with one of the guys I race with. Tried to rip each others legs off, averaged 23mph over 45miles. Didn’t notice the scenery it was either his back wheel or stinging sweat and red mist.

Tomorrow I’m going to do some Crit racing.

Saturday I’m off to climb some pretty hills and eat cake.

The week after I’m planning a 150mile ride over to Scotland

loads of different ways to ride a road bike – you just need to find one that fits you. If you are the type of mountainbike that pushes your “rig” up a hill to “shred” it on the way back down then maybe you’ll struggle.

When I started I wore baggies. Then I went out on a long ride in the wet and realised I was wearing a soggy parachute for no reason. These days I go for the spray on lycra look. And think twice about wearing baggies on the mountainbike. Don’t for racing and xc. There is a reason everyone wears lycra.

molgrips
    Free Member

why do you need to look like a giant clingfilmed-sausage?

I think enough people have seen enough cyclists that a person in lycra on a bike now just looks like a cyclist.

Re road safety, I have to say that when I’ve been up North, near the cities at least, much of it looks very crowded and congested so you might need to be a bit more creative with route choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Road biking for fun – not commuting or training’ is closed to new replies.