Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • road bikes…tell me more
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

hmmmm why is my head keep telling me to get a road bike ?
    not that i want to give up mtb of course as i have the best bike in the world ! 😆 but i keep looking at road bikes at the mo ? picked one up in a shop today and crikey they are light as a feather ! looked at a 2010 cannondale synapse in a major shop today and asked for a size small in it and they said they wouldnt be getting anymore in till next year ? (ooh)…. that solved that then…. anyway just browsing but agin as im only 5ft in height would i have another problem in getting a road bike to fit me …

_tom_
    Free Member

haha I'm looking as well since all I have to ride locally is country lanes. I want a Cotic Roadrat at the minute – they seem to have a more "mtb" feel so might be better for us shorter riders who don't like to feel stretched out.

oldgit
    Free Member

The weathers nice. They don't look so appealing when it's minus five, dark and the roads are covered in ice.

druidh
    Free Member

At only 5', I suggest you also have a look at some 650C wheeled road bikes.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I had a go on one a few weeks ago for the first time and loved it. I am currently looking at "classic" ones on ebay. A good old steel one.

oldgit
    Free Member

Giant XS off the peg.

vdubber67
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

The weathers nice. They don't look so appealing when it's minus five, dark and the roads are covered in ice.

Nonsense! 😉 There's nothing like the sheer joy that a <0 winter commute on off camber roads on 23mm tyres can bring. It makes summer feel even better! 😆

h4muf
    Free Member

Get a cross bike,perfect second bike imo.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i like the look of those super thin tyres tho on the road bikes,,,.duno much about 'cross bikes' not looked at those…geez descisions decisions… i blame my son for wanting another bike ! tho i started looking b4 him..nah nah.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Totally agree with druidh at 5' 650c is the way to go.

domino

Elaine – I am 5'3 and ride a 48cm Bianchi. I reckon I could probably ride something a little bigger. My cross bike is an XS Giant and is only just small enough. I struggled to find road bikes to sit on for getting an idea of size, let alone try out on the road and I had to take a chance on an internet purchase with my road bike. The time of year appears to dictate how easily it is to try them and if shops can get hold of one.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Should be able to find something that fits easily enough. Emma Pooley's tiny and she manages ok.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Elaine I'm only 5' as well, and tested a lot of road bikes. The one that had the best fit was the specialized dolce, 48cm frame (they do an even smaller 44cm as well, but that was slightly too small for me) comes in a range of different specs to suit your budget. I got mine last year and love it! Even got into the drop bars thingie so much that I now have a cross bike as well (another tiny specialized – a 48cm tricross, not as perfect a fit as the dolce, especially re things like crank length and brake reach, but a good enough fit, and loads of fun)

At 5' you don't have to have 650 wheels, and I'd avoid it if you can as it's harder to find inner tubes etc. Make sure you get short cranks (preferably 165), narrow bars, and check the reach to the brakes when you're in the drops. Some people say you can have problems with toe overlap with small framed bikes, but I don't have a problem – short cranks and small feet make this not an issue.

Go get one, you won't regret it 🙂

Ed2001
    Free Member

Emma Pooley is 5'2" and as any woman will tell you those extra 2" do make a difference.

tthew

I'm not entirely convinced about that argument RT. I'm thinking Emma Pooley doesn't ride an LBS sourced Giant or similar 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Road bikes are brilliant, there's nothing like the sensation of the lack of rolling resistance and pure acceleration you get on a skinny tyred bike.

Can't wait to get back on mine as soon as I get back from Argentina.

The only problem is that the more time you spend on your road bike, the sooner you realise how heavy your MTB actually is and then you spend even more cash making your MTB lighter and quicker!

It's a viscous circle 😆

RustySpanner

Hello Elaine.

I'm a shorty and had to look around for nearly a year before I found a decent secondhand road bike locally.

Eventually found one that fitted in Harry Ingham's, opposite Morrisons in Tod. The shop is very old fashioned, Harry is 'getting on a bit', but is very, very helpful. Cheap too 🙂

Alternatively, have a look in the Cycle/Recycle place in Hebden on the banks of the canal, where the alternative technology centre is. Run by a very pleasant chap called Ben, who will keep an eye out for a suitable frame and bits for you – it's a great place, full of interesting bits and bobs and well worth a visit.

Vale cycles in Tod, opposite the college, sell secondhand road bikes
    occaisionally, might be worth having a word.

Blazing Saddles in Hebden would be worth speaking to as well – they generally know what's for sale locally.

Last one I can think of is the bike shop in Mytholmroyd, on the left on the way up to Cragg Vale – they very occaisionally have secondhand road bikes in, but they tend to sell quickly.

Good luck!

elaineanne
    Free Member

thanks for that rusty…yeah i know about harry inghams… will have a good luck round..

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I'm 5'2" ish and my 48cm trek 5000 is a superb fit. The thing you will probably struggle with is finding any in that small a size to sit on in the shop to see what you think, but you will be able to buy one small enough.

elaineanne
    Free Member

so what you recon 43/44 cm frame ? was in leisurelakes yesterday and there was a child size road bike (only it was alittl TOO small it did look kinda cute tho !

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Road bikes are brilliant, there's nothing like the sensation of the lack of rolling resistance and pure acceleration you get on a skinny tyred bike.

Can't wait to get back on mine as soon as I get back from Argentina.

The only problem is that the more time you spend on your road bike, the sooner you realise how heavy your MTB actually is and then you spend even more cash making your MTB lighter and quicker!

It's a viscous circle

This is EXACTLY what I have done recently!!

aP
    Free Member

You could intitally try an islabike if you are petite as they are designed for small people.

wwaswas

If you're just looking for cheapish toe in the water to start with my wifes 'as new' carrera road bike is for sale – she's the same height – mail in profile if you want soem details.

london_lady
    Free Member

or in a couple of weeks I shall probably have a 2006 trek wsd 5.2 madone 47cm frame+fork for sale……

rig
    Free Member

+1 for a cross bike – & get some slicks to use on the road.

tragically1969
    Free Member

+1 for a cross bike

Why exactly ?

london_lady
    Free Member

It is actually quite difficult to get a 48cm cross bike that does not have a stupidly long top tube (women tend to have shorter torsos than men) – it is easier to get a 48cm wsd bike than a small cross bike – been there.

rig
    Free Member

Why exactly ?

Because it gives you the best of both worlds.

I use mine with slicks for TTs & road, & with nobblies for XC & cyclo-cross.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Is a mountain bike and a road bike not the best of both worlds ?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I looked at CX bikes but came to the conclusion that a "proper" road bike would be better – lighter, more focussed, quicker.

Having a light xc hardtail means a cx bike would just be too close to the MTB. The road bike I have is completely different and despite being fairly low end (£800) it weighs naff all.

MrSmith
    Free Member

haha I'm looking as well since all I have to ride locally is country lanes. I want a Cotic Roadrat at the minute – they seem to have a more "mtb" feel so might be better for us shorter riders who don't like to feel stretched out.

if you want to ride on the road why have an overpriced heavy hybrid when you can get a proper road bike? (and a WSD one that will fit you properly too)

rig
    Free Member

Is a mountain bike and a road bike not the best of both worlds ?

That depends on how many bikes you wish to collect Tragically – we currently have 13 in our family, which is enough!

Also, should you be off on a trip/holiday, taking a cross bike with a spare set of tyres allows you to do a wider range of cycling.

Although I take your point … 🙂

dickie
    Free Member

YGM re 48cm Litespeed vela.

tragically1969
    Free Member

we currently have 13 in our family

10 and counting here for just 2 of us…..

I was just curious why a CX bike instead of a road bike, for someone who has a mountain bike and fancies a go on the road a road specific bike makes more sense IMO…

molgrips
    Free Member

Only thing a (full) road bike is good for is covering a lot of ground quickly. This has many knock-on benefits.

How much enjoyment you can get I reckon depends heavily on how nice your local road biking is. There are roads everywhere, unlike trails, but many of them are awful and busy.

elaineanne
    Free Member

and why are the stems longer too on road bikes ..(abit too stretchy wot with the drop handlebars too…i could have major problems here with a road bike with my all round short torso….im such a midget ..honestly what was god thinking whn he handed out midget people. Tsk Tsk….
    not sure id want a cyclo cross ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

and why are the stems longer too on road bikes

weight distribution and handling.

molgrips
    Free Member

and why are the stems longer too on road bikes

Everything's different. So the longer stem goes with all the other different stuff – don't worry about it. The typical stem sizes are just different although they do overlap.

Should be shorter on a women's bike tho, but if you are worried then just change it, like you do on an MTB 🙂

I wouldn't go for a CX bike unless it was for urban commuting. They aren't as quick, which removes the only advantage road bikes have. They are only good for a) CX racing, b) commuting or c) if you have a lot of road to cover, then some somewhat less technical off-road, then another load of road. Which can be useful in certain areas… South Wales Valleys perhaps.

elaineanne
    Free Member

something like this looks ok for a beginners road bike ? i will shop around alot tho if decide to get one…. but its going to be hard to try one in the shop for 'size wise'…. can i be cheeky and ask a shop just to get an extra small size one in (just to look at initially ? for trying my short torso on.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/12-compact-2010-road-bike-ec019678?query=womens road bikes#reviews

aP
    Free Member

I'd disagree – cross bikes are pretty much just as quick as dedicated road bikes, they just tend to handle slower. Which is different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘road bikes…tell me more’ is closed to new replies.