Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 250 total)
  • Road bikes with disks are ugly?
  • ElShalimo

I think this looks quite nice but I don’t know why.

globalti
    Free Member

Synapse disc is the disc road bike by which others will be measured in the future, if the rave reviews are anything to go by. I’ve just ridden the ali 105 disc version and it handled as well as my Roubaix SL4.

ElShalimo

globalti – Member
    Synapse disc is the disc road bike by which others will be measured in the future, if the rave reviews are anything to go by.

Can you point us to these reviews? I was looking at this bike earlier today and I’m strangely drawn to it ….. must resist

kcr
    Free Member

It’s all about the cycling though, isn’t it? What matters about a bike is whether it enhances your cycling by being lighter, or faster, or more comfortable, or more reliable, or more fun, etc. I can’t ever remember riding along in the moment thinking about how my bike looks!

brakes
    Free Member

how’s about this then.

rogermoore

Synapse disc is the disc road bike by which others will be measured in the future, if the rave reviews are anything to go by. I’ve just ridden the ali 105 disc version and it handled as well as my Roubaix SL4.

This is interesting – as above a nudge in the direction of some reviews would be great. All I saw when I previously looked were ‘preview’ type write ups.
    It caught my eye on line and I took a quick peek at one over the Easter weekend – didn’t feel particularly lightweight, but maybe I was expecting too much.
    RM.

eulach

Floating rotors. That is all.

bob_summers

Sloping top tube is never going to look pretty.
    Discs neither improve the looks nor make them uglier, certainly no more than Shimano chainsets and derailleurs with big ugly motors.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Those cannondales both look hideous, the front wheel looks like its a mile from where it should be. The angles look all wrong.

ElShalimo

Gary_M – Member 
    Those cannondales both look hideous, the front wheel looks like its a mile from where it should be. The angles look all wrong.

Okay, let us benefit from your wisdom; post a picture of what a road bike should look like

oldnick

The Synapse looks like a hybrid with drops retro-fitted.

I’m very conservative re bikes looks, until I ride something that works demonstrably better, at which point some switch in my head flips and it instantly becomes better looking*.

*The bike, not my head.

drofluf
    Free Member

Something like this?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/iLLtBj]Singlespeed Peregrine[/url] by paulfulford, on Flickr

ElShalimo

The peregrine is nice in an old style classic way. Looks great for touring or audax but it doesn’t conjure up images of speed, just comfort.

Its very subjective but what do you lot expect to see when you think of road bike?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Meh, you’re all picking the wrong Cannondales…

emanuel
    Free Member

What’s the point of such a big cutaway?

ninfan
    Free Member

Seems like a terrible engineering solution to me

Frame and fork built heavier to cope with the stresses of the brake forces & torque being applied at the furthest point, Wheels have to be heavier to cope with the same so the spokes don’t rip out of the rim.

Quick wheel changes pretty much gone (obviously an issue for pro riders, not the rest of us)

The ‘hidden’ brake on the Trek shown above was a genius idea – the brake is positioned at the stiffest point of the bike (Ah, U brakes, there’s a memory!)

Lifer
    Free Member

Why are quick wheel changes gone?

Weight not an issue unless minimum weight limit comes down.

crazy-legs

The BMC is nice – looks like a proper racing road bike should look, fast and aggressive and low.

Problem is that because disc road bikes are currently illegal for racing, the only disc road bikes out there are “sportive” models with stupid angles, short top tubes and long head tubes so that fat mamils can fit on them. So none of them look “right”.

What I’d love to see is a Di2 and full hydraulic equipped bike with full internal routing including having the hose run inside the fork leg, popping out just above the caliper. And the bike should look racy. Low front end, proper angles, close clearances. When I win the lottery, English Cycles will be getting a call from me to make a bike to that description!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tell them to make two!

aracer
    Free Member

Is this thread a competition to post the most gopping disk brake road bike, because they’re steadily getting worse!

simondbarnes

I think they make a nice option for a winter / commuter bike. I’d have something like this…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nothing has to be built stronger for discs, unless the braking force that they can provide is increased….assuming you have the grip available from the tyres to use that extra braking capability. The bottom of the forks may have to be stiffer, but the crown of the fork doesn’t have to be as strong as no caliper is being bolted there, so you gain a bit of weight in one part of the fork, and loose the same in another.

When you are braking you’re trying to twist the rim around the hub. This is the same with disc brakes as for rim brakes, the spokes will not see a difference.

The thing I struggle with regarding disc brakes on road race bikes, is that you’re limited to the grip available from the tyres. In can easily lock up with rim brakes, so the extra braking force of disk brakes is useless. Also from an aerodynamic point of view I can’t see how you can make a disk setup as aerodynamic as calipers which can be faired in on sculpted carbon bikes, especially TT bikes.

But for normal recreational bikes disc brakes make sense. They’re better in wet conditions, easier maintenance and with bigger tyres with more grip, offer better braking performance. Horses for courses, there is no one size fits all solution.

thehustler
    Free Member

This kinda disputes the OP’s theory

RustySpanner

Lots of things make a bike ugly:

Any frame design other than thin, straight round steel tubes.
    Deep section rims.
    Black components (not including cables, saddles, tyres or bar tape).
    Slammed stems.
    Stickers.
    Cross levers.

But discs?
    Discs are fine, providing all the above rules are followed.

bob_summers

When you are braking you’re trying to twist the rim around the hub. This is the same with disc brakes as for rim brakes, the spokes will not see a difference.

Think about that again 😉

aracer
    Free Member

If anything, the crown of a disc brake fork has to be beefed up even more than the bottom, as not only do you have the reaction torque from the brake acting there (which you don’t get with a rim brake), that force is also asymmetric resulting in a twisting at the crown which has to be resisted. The strength required to support a rim brake at the crown is minor in comparison. It’s not a huge, huge difference, but like for like a disc fork will be noticeably heavier.

bob_summers

just noticed that synapse a few posts up has radial spokage on the front 😯

aracer
    Free Member

It does indeed 😆 – though that is possibly a photoshop job or some other sort of mockup, as the otherwise identical show bike doesn’t seem to have that problem

(I note there’s also no sign of any valves in the pic above)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Okay, let us benefit from your wisdom; post a picture of what a road bike should look like

That comes across as though you sound very offended. I apologise for not liking the look of a bike that you clearly do like

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ok bob, I did think about it again and see where I went wrong 😳

sputnik
    Free Member

Not a brake in sight, simply stunning.
    No disks on (proper)road bikes please.

bob_summers

A clubmate has one of those ^ and was saying the brakes felt a bit vague. Also, the OE Look chainset seemed to confuse the Di2, though that might be sorted by now. Not a bad looking thing though, certainly can’t see how discs would spoil it.

bob_summers

The paint and decals are too lairy for me but this is lovely

Zach’s road race disc

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Bob, you have to be taking the piss…that’s GOPPING.

bob_summers

despite, or because of the discs? 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Despite, it’s truly awful

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I hadn’t noticed the discs…I can’t get past the God-awful rims!

ElShalimo

most of us could never afford the most of the bikes on the photos
    So saying they look great or shit is academic, you’ll never ride it anyway

emanuel
    Free Member

it’s not tho, saying they ride shit would be.

aracer
    Free Member

As Rusty says, the one advantage of the rest of it is that you don’t immediately notice the discs.

Rubbish. Most of us could easily afford all the bikes in the pictures. Plenty of us own and ride bikes more expensive than a lot of them. In any case that issue is totally irrelevant to the point.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes with disks are ugly?’ is closed to new replies.