Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road bikes – what size stem?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Simple question

Ive been struggling to get comfy on my dark side bike

What size stem do you use and what are your vital stats and frame size?

I'll report back on mine when I can find a ruler

Cheers

Coleman
    Free Member

Height 5' 11"
    Frame m/l Giant 53.5
    Top tube 565mm
    Stem 100mm -6 deg.

JoB
    Free Member

Height – 5' 10.5"
    Frame – Enigma
    Top tube – 568mm
    Stem – 120mm -6 deg

i feel you're not going to get any worthwhile answers by looking at other peoples stats, your best bet is to go to a road bike shop that knows their stuff and get them to look at your position as it could have nothing at all to do with your stem length.
    or as you're using the phrase "dark side" i'm going to assume that you're new to road riding and just need to get used to it and/or do some stretching

njee20
    Free Member

Height – 5'9.5"
    Frame – Trek Madone SL 56cm
    Top tube – 560mm
    Stem – 90mm -6 degree.

Just to prove Jo's point, there's three people of a reasonably similar height and we've all got rather different set ups! To be honest mine's probably a bit short, been meaning to stick a 100mm stem on for a while, but it's extremely comfortable. Don't fix what isn't broken and all that…

DezB
    Free Member

Aren't you expecting a bit much? To be comfortable on a road bike?

( Oh: 😉 just in case anyone gets all upset)

thomthumb
    Free Member

i had a fitting and the guy reccomended a shorter stem, and losing a couple of spacers – made so much difference. no spend 50% of the time in the drops wheras before it was 10%.

get some proper advice whilst you are on the bike – not the internet – we really have nothing to offer but somer numbers. Height obviusly plays a part but more so the ratio of torso: arm: height and you flexability.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes – what size stem?’ is closed to new replies.