Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road Bikes – Rack/Full guards
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Looking to replace my commuter in the coming months.

What is recommended in terms of road bikes that have clearance for full guards? Having searched about plenty of people seem to think that an Audax bike is ticking all my boxes, some light touring and some long rides.
    Or a winter/trainer – Ribble
    Or a cross bike – Spesh Tricross, Genesis Croix de Feu (sp?)

I would like this to be as light as is practicable, so im unsure of the ‘cross’ options. I do want drop bars, I do not want disc brakes

What is available, off the peg?

Low end budget (£1k)
    Lack of full guards/rack would be the deal breaker, this is first and foremost a commuter.
    Any comments on component spec gratefully recieved, i know nothing about road bikes.

will
    Free Member

Has to be the Ribble surely? I really do like mine, not the lighest, but it’s a great ride, cheap and has room for full guards, which I love.

soobalias
    Free Member

probably have to look at the ribble closely from home tonight

Are these two in the right sort of ball park, any experience of either?

Dolan Preffisio – right price bracket, comes with SRAM Apex or Rival… is that a roadie equivalent of Deore or SLX?

or a Tifosi on CRC, which only gets a double on a Medium…and the size chart is in cm, so no idea if im a Medium or a Large?

jameso

My Equilibrium’s come back into service in all this wet weather. Only one eyelet at the back, but takes either a light Tubus Fly 3-point (a more elegant solution for light tours) or a rack with a seat-clamp adapter, since compact frames + caliper brakes and racks don’t always fit together that well. The SKS P35s are a permanent fixture on it, but I have popped a rack and light rack-pack + bar roll on as a try-out for a trip to France / older age 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

The Genesis Croix de Fer is not exactly lightweight. Something like the Genesis Vapour would be a bit lighter.
    Or Planet-X Uncle John?

thomthumb
    Free Member

dawes clubman

jamis quest

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road Bikes – Rack/Full guards’ is closed to new replies.