• This topic has 51 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cupra.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Road bikes. Mudguards. Fu*$*%%*$"($!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Klunk
    Free Member

there still seem to be the narrower versions about for up to 23c tyres, but I’m running 25c (no stock anywhere AFAIK)…

the narrow versions fit 25c just fine.

legend
    Free Member

I’ve heard that, but I’ve also heard that they don’t really have the clearance for riding in tow paths and other places that get properly mingin’?

TiRed

I’ll see your 25c and raise you 27c. Vittoria Pave 27c fitted under my standard Raceblade Longs for the rainy Tuesday club ride. You may need to loosen the allan bolt on the stay mount to move the stays out a mm or two.

eskay

Just fitted a pair of race blade longs to one of my son’s bikes. Very impressed with the ease of initial fitting. They seem to be really well thought out.

Tried to order some for my recently demoted ciocc and was told that they are out of stock and a new design will be available early next year. Managed to get another set elsewhere.

I have also ordered a set of these for my other son’s bike (with cantis so race blades will not fit). May have to bodge fitting a bit, will report back.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-shield-r30-strap-on-road-mudguard-set/

mazz
    Free Member

Put my raceblade longs back on. Last year, when I first got ’em all fine, little bit of drag. This year,no matter what I do to adjust I can’t keep them away from the tyre!! Resigned myself to draggy, noisy rides through the winter. Will make it better when I take them off in the new year.

simondbarnes

It’s probably not the wisest move on SKS’ part to let the available stock for the extant version run out, without the replacement product being available, especially as winter rolls round… Sort of missing the peak period for selling one of their most popular products…

They’ve discontinued the original raceblade longs as they weren’t reliable enough for their high standards. SKS are hoping to have a new model available for next winter.

squin
    Free Member

The Raceblade longs 23 fit 25 conti 4 seasons just fine.

eskay

There is a place on Amazon (Sheffield Cycles) that is still selling raceblade longs. Ordered some Friday and they turned up today £33.99 inc postage. I was a bit dubious because the picture was for the standard length ‘guards but they are the long version.

eskay

I fitted the Zefal Shields last night to my son’s TCX1 (which has canti’s and no brake drillings front or back).

Overall I am quite pleased with them, they were more of a fiddle to fit than the raceblades but seem relatively sound once mounted. They have metal stays and attach to the frame with either the supplied rubber mounting bands (quite substantial) or cable ties.

I had to do some cable tie wizardry to attach them to the rear bridge and needed to drill a couple of holes in the front one to enable me to cable tie across the top of the fork bridge.

My only niggle is that there is a small amount of side-to-side movement on the stays (seems to be by design). Apart from that they seem like a viable alternative to raceblades and crudcatchers.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Crud catchers here – store my bike vertically so the rear flap lasted one ride but have shoved a bit of old inner tube on the end does the job – sort of. They’re good for what they are. Not bad to fit either although having read the bit about the zip tie i’m off to the shed to back mine off a bit

austen

It’s worth noting that on the Crud’s there are a load of spares available on the website. I’ve managed to smash both of mine in the last 12 months, one on a large stick that got jammed in there and one drivetrain catastrophe.

£6.50 get’s you a new centre section, which is obviously much better than having to fork out for a whole new set!

cupra
    Free Member

Crud race guards here. I used the shorter ‘tail’ on the rear guard so wheeling it on the back wheel isn’t a problem. This is the third bike they have been fitted to and I have never had any issues with them other than to replace the brushes after the winter.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes. Mudguards. Fu*$*%%*$"($!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.