Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road bikes – is it all about carbon? Another what bike question
  • rocco

Looking at a new road bike to replace my Scott CR1 which can then be retired to purely commuting and I find myself only looking at carbon frame bikes. Should I bother looking at alloy frames? I’m not looking at spending loads, max £1000 and ideally less so I can get it past the other half.

Have seen the Defy composite 3 with Tiagra for £879 however have just seen this GT which gets good reviews and has the added bonus of coming with Ultegra for £699

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p3838/GT-GTR-SERIES-1-2012

If alloy frames are as good should I also look at CAAD8? Comes in at £699 with Tiagra or Cube Peloton at same price.

I’m not looking at racing, just a nice bike to ride.

taxi25
    Free Member

Plenty of good alloy bikes, but can’t say I’ve heard of someone moving a carbon frame to commuting duties and buying a cheapish alloy bike for Sunday best.
    Why not revamp the CR1 and get a cheapish alloy bike ( decathlon ect ) for the commute ?

rocco

Thought about buying a cheap commuter but to be honest the CR is a bit rough around the edges and ideally needs a new group set so thought I’d get a better deal on a new bike, and who doesn’t like new!

daftvader
    Free Member

if you are looking at the CAAD make sure you try it for size… I have a synapse 105 in 56cm and thought that the same size caad would fit, I ended up going a size down as it was far too big… HTH

tomkerton
    Free Member

My opinion is that at this price range it’s all about wheels, frame material less important. In order to get a bike with Ultegra out for £800ish something’s gotta be cheap and a bike with a £100 wheel set is going to be crap no matter how good the frame/group.

I bought my first road bike last year with £1k. I got full 105, disc brakes, carbon forks but rubbish rubbish wheels which nearly made me give up road riding. New wheels have turned it into a different bike altogether.

Bregante

What daftvader said. I’m 6’2 and a 58 -60 with most road bikes. Tried a 58 caad8 and it was massive. I’ve had my (56) for 18 months and am very happy with it. Upgraded wheels definitely make a difference though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes – is it all about carbon? Another what bike question’ is closed to new replies.