Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bikes for about £500?
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

Giant defy, specialized allez or look for second hand?
    I'm basically looking for a good starting point for a beginners road bike.
    5ft 6in, normal proportions. Ride 15 or 16in mtb….. Bit of a tenuous qustion but what size road frame?

longwayup
    Free Member

I've bought myself a road bike to try and was after an allez before I settled on a spesh tricross as wanted something I could take off road/bridleways. Go second hand as you will get a better bike for that money. I'm 5.11 and a 56cm frame is perfect for me.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I'm 5'9" and ride a 54cm Specialized which is suited to someone between 5'6" – 5'9" so I'm between sizes. Looks like you are too so i'd say try both and see what feels better.
    I also have a 56cm Bianchi but have a shorter stem on it as the standard 100mm one was a bit to much of a stretch.
    Edit; it seems each manufacturer measure their frames differently so be careful with sizing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2nd hand, get a cannondale R500 from arround 2004/2005 or later for about £300-£350. Then spend the remainder on 2nd hand wheels and a new saddle if you need it.

They aren't the lightest (loses about 0.5lb-1lb to the trek 1000), but most of the excess is in the big bits like wheels/innertubes/tyres and the cranks/BB.

tails
    Free Member

Whats the difference between a cyclocross and a road bike other than tyres? Is the geo that different?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Looks like i can get discount of 20% on bikes via work which means an allez 16 or 24 for as little as £400 or a defy 3.5 for £395. It seems like a good deal so kind of makes the second hand route less attractive. What about old Giant OCRs? Seems like these can be had cheaply.

DT78
    Free Member

I'd like to know the same – must be a bit more than just one has bigger tyres?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes for about £500?’ is closed to new replies.