Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road bike..6 punctures – one ride !!??
  • brack
    Free Member

Rode out with mates today..and blimey had 6 yes 6 punctures on a 40 mile loop.

Wheels fine
    New tubes each time, correct tube size
    Pressures – 110 – 110
    5 to rear 1 to front

No thorns/ flints found each time

Most of the holes appear to be more of a slit rather than a puncture, and I’d say 4 out of the 6 are all on the inside of the tube.

Bad luck ??

I doubt it but really cannot find a cause.

Vortexracing

try the rim tape, it buggered me up last week. 3 punctures, all at the bottom of the tube.

A spoke hole was showing through.

jim25

Sound like pinch flats or from a spoke protruding in to the rim, but then they would all be in the same location.

crikey
    Free Member

Take the tyre off, turn it inside out and with a good light, examine it all the way round.
    I had 5 punctures in a week last year; it was a piece of wire stuck in the tyre that only caused an issue after an hour or so of riding.

brack
    Free Member

Cheers chaps…the bike is currently unlovingly dumped in the back of the car…like a naughty child..

Will check the rim tape and tyre theories tomorrow.

What a frustrating ride!!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had something similar on a road bike a while back, the rim tape was off center, exposing the sharp edge of a spoke hole.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve had the same with almost invisibly small shards of glass before. In at an angle so the point only becomes exposed when the tyre flexes under impact. They were a complete pisser to find, I basically ran my fingers over every cm of the inner and outer of the tyre with it flexed in all sorts of ways. Still took two or three runs before I found them all. I now try to avoid riding near breakers’ yards.

kcr
    Free Member

Next time it happens, line up the puncture site with the wheel/tyre and find out exactly what caused it. There will be something at that point that is responsible. From what you’ve described, I would go with the rim tape/rim bed theory.

radoggair
    Free Member

i’m more impressed u carry 6 tubes with you on a run

radoggair
    Free Member

although, i once did the black descent at GT from the mast and managed to get 17 holes in my tube at once. didn’t patch that one up

scotroutes

Run a thin tissue around the inside of the tyre. It’ll often catch on whatever sharp object is stuck in the tyre, leaving a little thread of tissue.

soulboy
    Free Member

If there’s no protruding spoke end on the inside or a piece of flint/glass/thorn embedded in the casing, you could be trapping the tube with the tyre bead when you’re installing it. Check that you’re not pinching it when you’re seating the tyre (especially if you’re using tyre levers) and check the bead/rim interface for trapped inner tube before inflation.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i had that once on my road bike… looked inside rim and there was thorn spikes lol..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road bike..6 punctures – one ride !!??’ is closed to new replies.