Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Road bike with discs , whats new/ out there
  • robidoo
    Free Member

After a nice road bike, but wanting a hydraulic disc one.
    Whats new out there?
    Any recommendations?

Onzadog
    Free Member

People seem to like the giant defy advanced. I’d like saracen to do an upspecced avro and I’ve got an eye on the focus cayo disc.

Lifer
    Free Member

Saracen Avro is lovely, liking the thru axles both ends.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the avro had hydro discs, and maybe an upgrade to ultegra and tubeless wheels, I’d have one, maybe even two (one for the wife).

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am waiting for the Genesis Equilibrium Disc 20 to come into stock to replace my curremt Equilibrium for commuting duties.

rj
    Free Member

The Cannondale Synapse or CAAD 10 disc are both solid choices. KTM Revelator Sky looks nice. Good round up here:

Road.CC Disc Roundup

and here:

Road.CC further roundup

ransos
    Free Member

People seem to like the giant defy advanced.

Do you know if it takes proper mudguards?

TiRed

It doesn’t. Fork and rear seat stay yoke not drilled for mounting. Wait for the next generation 😉

ransos
    Free Member

It doesn’t. Fork and rear seat stay yoke not drilled for mounting. Wait for the next generation

Thanks. That’s extremely annoying – something like the Defy with discs and guards would be my perfect year-round road bike.

velomanic
    Free Member

Felt Z4 Disk looks nice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t think that the Defy disc bikes will take a full, proper mudguard.

My Diverge will, though! 🙂

velomanic
    Free Member

The Whyte Cornwall can take full-length mudguards.

MoreCashThanDash

I saw a Cannondale with discs and mudguards the other week. Looked great but not sure what model it was.

Well, it was the one that comes in black and white….

monkeyp

I love my Synapse. Have had the 105 version for a year and have just ordered some guards for it. Full hidden mounts so should be easy by all accounts. Considering a hydro upgrade, either proper job or Hope V-twin as the rear brake routing means there is a lot of drag, although that may just be the calipers it came with.

globalti
    Free Member

Cycling Plus mag has a good review on this in the October issue.

robidoo
    Free Member

I have a CaadX and I’m using it on the road over winter. I have just fitted some chromoplastic longboards so not bothered about mudguard fitting on the new road bike as it will be used in the dryer months.
    Liking the look of the KTM especially as it has bolt through wheels.

nickhart
    Free Member

Thru axles need to be the norm, they offer so much more security and stiffness if they’re designed correctly.

mboy
    Free Member

Riding a Whyte Dorset at the moment as my winter road bike. So far, very impressed. It’s not a light bike (over 10kg) but given how light my carbon road bike is (just over 7kg so 3kg lighter!) I thought the difference would be much more noticeable than it actually is. The old cliche “it rides light for it’s weight” definitely applies in this case. The brakes are fantastic too (TRP Hy-Rd’s) and though it’s only got Sora 9spd and a wide range cassette, given its intended use as a winter/commuter road bike these are more of a bonus than a setback IMO. I did a fast ride a few weeks ago on it where the 11-32 cassette made itself known in terms of ratio gaps, but that’s easily changed anyway if it bothers you. As the weather turns though, and average speeds drop, it’s a blessing.

The facility to fit fill guards and up to 35c Tyres is a real bonus too, though mine will be sticking with 28’s… Just building some tubeless rims into new guns and going to run the 28c Hutchinson Sectors on mine.

FWIW I can’t wait for the KTM Revelator Sky to arrive. Lots of hype over this one, and my summer road bike is a Revelator anyway… If it is half as good as it looks, it will be ace!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mboy, if you’ve not got the sectors yet, might I suggest schwalbe ones instead? The bead snaps far less frequently and Hutchinson customer service is non existant.

mboy
    Free Member

Got 25c Tubeless Schwalbe One’s on my Summer bike already. I want more of a winter training type of tyre (which the Sector supposedly is) on the Whyte. In absence of a Tubeless Durano or similar (and I’ve been bugging the Schwalbe rep who has confirmed nothing of the sort until at least 2016! Seems like a missed opportunity to me), I’ve been forced to look elsewhere. The One’s are fantastic, but they’re already showing good signs of use after only about 1000 miles. I really rate the Schwalbe Durano as a winter tyre as they roll fast, grip well, last a long time and have good puncture protection. A tubeless version of the same is what’s needed IMO to get a lot of roadies to think about converting to tubeless…

Onzadog
    Free Member

All true. Just thought I’d offer my experience with the sector 28. Itscacgood tyre while it’s on the rim, seems pretty durable. However, so far, its 50/50 whether it stays on the rim and Hutchinson will flat out ignore you if it doesn’t.

turboferret

Clearly you need one of these 🙂

Cheers, Rich

robidoo
    Free Member

Looking good turboferret, cant wait to see it finished.

titusrider
    Free Member

I’d have a colnago v1-r disc. It’s my current dream bike

scaredypants

reckon I’ll just be buying a disc fork for my frame once the “standard” becomes apparent

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Whyte Stowe

jacob46
    Free Member

Whyte suffolf £1199

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Road bike with discs , whats new/ out there’ is closed to new replies.