Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Road Bike Wheels?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking for a set of wheels for the road bike, something reasonably strong and light, budget up to £600.

I’m heading to The Alps with some friends next year on the road bike so it needs to be something suitable for big climbs as well as long descents.

Any suggestions?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Mavic Ksyrium SLS?

You’d get them for under your budget in a sale…

jockhaggis
    Free Member

For that price you could consider custom build? If you are in the Alps on long descents braking power and heat should be a consideration.

Theses guys make some good stuff. http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S’s with mp3 cover and some quality tyres.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just bought a set of these from JRA. Build 3 option.

The conversation went along the lines of:-

Me -“explain to me why I should spend more money on fancier hubs”

Jon @ JRA. “I can’t”

At 1440g, they’re not silly light, just pretty light. The Pacenti rims are supposed to be the dogs danglies, and with 24/28 spokes, they should be plenty solid enough. Tubeless ready. Not ridden them yet, so I can’t give a proper review, but I trust JRA’s component selection and wheelbuilding skills, so don’t anticipate any problems.

aP
    Free Member

Camapgnolo Shamal Ultra should fit in under that budget. I’ve ridden them in the Pyrenees, the French Alps and the Dolomites riding things like la Marmotte and the Maratona dles Dolomites. I’ve never had a problem with them, the 2007 wheels went onto my cross bike in 2012 and I bought a new pair for my road bike.

bob_summers

aP, you still haven’t worn out the rims? I’ve got a pair doing nowt because the front rim is finished and it’s too expensive to replace.

600 quid for me would be handbuilts with easily available rims and spokes, or Chinese carbon. I wouldn’t touch factory stuff.

pacef8
    Free Member

Dt 440 rims hope mono hubs dt spokes. Or sl23 rims. You cannot go wrong . Get handbuilt

TiRed

Handbuilts. Anything under 1500g is light enough. You’ll easily get under that weight for your budget, including decent tyres.

American Classic Hubs, Ambrosio rims and Sapim spokes. Finished off with a set of 25c Schwalbe Ones for absolute confidence descending in the corners.

Or Kysrium Elites for factory build, similar weight but less serviceable.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How much do you weigh OP? If you’re reasonably light, those ones JonEdwards linked to look good.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Fulcrum 3s for me! Never had a problem for the last three years in a row. Great buy for around £350to£380.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

How much do you weigh OP? If you’re reasonably light, those ones JonEdwards linked to look good.

I’m only around 75kg so not too heavy.
    The wheels int eh link from JRA look pretty promising for the price.

aP
    Free Member

Bob_summers – not yet, they’re obviously worn, but that’s one of the reasons why I moved them to the cross bike. 25psi is less disturbing than 90 and I won’t be going as fast when they finally fail.

tomaso
    Free Member

Superstar do roughly the same thing as the JRA wheels for less.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I built up a set of Pacenti SL23 rims on DT Swiss hubs with CX rays (24H/28H) for my alps trip this year. They build into really nice stiff but light wheels and using Schwalbe One 23c tubeless tyres was a winning combo. Can highly recommend!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Superstar do roughly the same thing as the JRA wheels for less.

I’m not sure where, the cheapest wheelset I can see is their custom builds using the SL23 rims which comes in at £565 which is a fair bit more than JRA are charging.

tomaso
    Free Member

They did have them for under £200. They seem to be £300 now. Custom Pacenti SL23s with sapim race spokes and top notch DT240 hubs comes in under budget.
    And when the rims wear out the hubs will still be going strong.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

If you want them built right first time I would go with JRA or Wheelsmith.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Have a look here.

Put these on my Mrs bike. Cycling Weekly has a code that takes them to £169.99. Set up with Schwalbe One Evo Tubeless Tyres 700c x 25mm. Weigh around 1500g.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

They did have them for under £200. They seem to be £300 now. Custom Pacenti SL23s with sapim race spokes and top notch DT240 hubs comes in under budget.
    And when the rims wear out the hubs will still be going strong.

Have you got a link to them as I can’t find anything like that for £300 on their site, DT240’s with Pancenti rims comes in at £660 when I’m looking.

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve been really happy with my Dura Ace C24’s, they’re light and been trouble free for the year I’ve had them, most of the people I ride with have them and no one has been disappointed.

pryally
    Free Member

I’m selling a nearly new set of C24’s….

tomaso
    Free Member

Burnsyboy found the ones I bought SS pacenti deal
    Really pleased with my set

tomaso
    Free Member

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Todays Superstar deal is 20% off everything so makes these even better at £159.99

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m not too keen on the idea of the Volta hubs but with the 20% off code I could get a set built up with DT Swiss 240’s for £520 or 350’s for £380 which seems to be a good price.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I don’t know the quality of the superstar builds, I would trust JRA to build you a good wheelset though, I have had plenty from him and most have been spot on.

IF JRA recommend those hubs in their wheels, then I see no reason to get anything else. THey probably build into a very good set of wheels. The only issue I see is the alloy nipples, but if you’re not using them through winter then they should be fine.

At 75kg, I’d say a 24/28 combo is bang on. I’m about the same weight as you and have a 24/28 set of A23s which are fine. I’ve also got some Archetypes on DT 350s which are 28/32 and these are absolutely solid. But a bit overkill. The 350s only come in 28 or 32 hole.

There are basically only two rims worth considering I think; Pacenti if you’ve got the cash, or Archetypes.

If you’re going to get a fancy set of hubs, have a look at White Industries – they look to be about the best.

I’ve never used CX Ray spokes, but I think they’re the same dimensions as Sapim Lazers/DT revs. If this is the case, I’d go for something a bit sturdier on the driveside rear such as Sapim Race or DT Comps. They feel much stiffer and will probably last longer as well, plus they cost less. HTH

nicksar
    Free Member

Mavic Ksyrium Elite

tomaso
    Free Member

I think the Volta hubs are just rebranded Novatechs which look similar to the ones JRA use.
    DT would be better and give you more reassurance.
    As for Suuperstar’s wheel build skills I am pleased with mine. Good tension and true and after 6 weeks just the same and I am a delicate 90kg. Can really feel that the only thing holding me back is the rider with only 1500g to spin round!

Fantombiker

Best option is to go custom. I just got a carbon set from spokesman wheels for about 550, v good quality and long warranty. One overlooked advantage of custom is that the parts are easily available, contrast that with magic or Shimano parts and service costs.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

My Ghost road bike has Mavic Aksium wheels, they have been on two alpine hols, up and down many huge climbs. Shimano 105 brake set. Descending one col in a thunderstorm will wear out a set of pads, so pack spares when you go out.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’d definitely recommend anything Mavic

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

At that price, handbuilt for sure. I’d highly recommend Wheelsmith but have also heard good things about Strada and of course JRA who are mentioned plenty above.

I got some Royce on Wheelsmith own brand rims a year ago, great wheels.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Personally I’d not bother with radial, especially on the rear.

Just seems a real comprise to save **** all weight (apart from factory wheels, which I’d prob avoid too).v

I like stans alphas, 45gm each lighter than those Pacentis, and cheaper.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.