Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Road bike wheel set £120ish budget
  • ogden
    Free Member

Got the frame set sorted Giant Defy 0 £250

Got the Groupset sorted
    Shimano 105 (5800) Black 11 Speed Double Groupset
    Bottom Bracket
    1 x Shimano BB-R60 11 Speed Cups (Ultegra 6800/105 5800) Eng £0.00

Brakes
    1 x Shimano 105 Black 5800 Brake Set £0.00

Cassette
    1 x Shimano 11 Spd 105 5800 Cassette 11-32 £2.99

Chain
    1 x Shimano 11Spd 5800 (HG600 105 Chain) £0.00

Chainset
    1 x Shimano 105 Black 5800 11Spd Chainset Compact 170 34/50 £0.00

Front Derailleur
    1 x Shimano 105 Black (5800) 11Spd Front Braze-on £0.00

Rear Derailleur
    1 x Shimano 105 Black (5800) 11Spd Rear Gear Medium (GS) £3.49

Gear Shifters
    1 x Shimano STI Levers 105 Black 5800 11Spd with cables £0.00

Got it for £270 with a discount at Ribble

Just need to get the wheel set sorted my first idea was to just buy some Giant PR-2’s that come with the Defy 0 off ebay but what could I get for around £120 ish?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Mavic’s or Superstars.
    Mavic you may pick up a set with tyres brand new.
    Superstars will be a higher spec wheelset but you’ll need tyres.
    You may even get Fulcrums new.

scaredypants

be sure that wht you buy is 11sp compatible – lots of cheap old stock freehubs won’t work

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at Fulcrum 7’s, team vision 30’s around £120 but found mixed reviews on both

MarkyG82

I got a set of tiagra hubs built onto mavic open pros a couple of years ago for that sort of money. Maybe not the lightest but a great ride and hand built.

cookeaa

Shimano RS010?

Not super sexy or light but do the job better than some costing twice as much, the pair can be had for under a hundred sheckles and leaves you some change to think about tyres with…

jkomo

Pacenti rim, superstar hubs were £125. They’ve been great.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id go with either shimano factory wheels or maybe fulcrums (ive never had them but lots of people seem to like them). For shimano you want the ones ending in **1 for 11speed e.g. rs-11, rs-81 etc ending in a zero is the old 10s freehub and they cant be swapped AFAIK.

I avoid superstar for anything requiring skill or moving parts.

Shimano hubs and mavic rims (open sport on that budget) would be a great setup too. And robust enough to demote to training/winter wheels if/when you upgrade again rather than chasing cheap / light / strong on a budget.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d maybe take a punt on these for £99, as long as you’re not a biffer…
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/clearance-icon-ultra-11speed-wheelsets-2024.htm

Or there are some Alex rimmed wheelsets for £150 on sale too…
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/road/wheel-clearance-sale/

I avoid superstar for anything requiring skill or moving parts.

Those of us who don’t avoid them have found that they turn out some really good quality wheelsets at almost unbeatable prices.

tpercy
    Free Member

I have some shimano rs31 wheels with less than 100mile use £100
    Email if interested

ogden
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nah, shit tyres.

ogden
    Free Member

What about the wheels without tyres?

seems my price range its between the fulcrum 7’s team vision 30 or them?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about these? £120 for some Campag wheels seems pretty good. You need to add it to your basket to see the discount

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPCAVEN/campagnolo-vento-asymmetric-wheelset

ogden
    Free Member

They wont work with my Shimano groupset will they?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about the wheels without tyres?

Yeh, they’ll be solid, if a little heavy. Same as any of the cheaper Shimano wheels really.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They wont work with my Shimano groupset will they?

😀 no

SaxonRider

I just bought these Campagnolo Khamsin wheels on sale at Wiggle for £113 (down from £166), and have not had enough time on the road to put many miles on yet. But having ridden them for the last two weeks, I have to say I am very pleased so far.

Might be worth a look for you. Besides, they look very cool, are compatible with your specs, and actually fit your budget!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id avoid the vision 30’s or rs-31, both are ‘deep’ by alloy standards which makes them very heavy but without being aero enough to offer any advantage.

Rs-21 would be a much better all round wheel.

Campag own fulcrum so for a given price point they’ll be just as good. Depends whether you like the the spoke pattern of either.

Probably boils down to:
    Mavic askium – you’ll look like every other sportive-ist whether you are or not
    Shimano rs21 – need a bit of TLC to keep the bearings happy
    Fulcrum – the thinking mans askiums, but the bearings do need pre load adjustment so not completely maintenance free.
    Campag – with shimano, there are rules about this!

ogden
    Free Member

They look cool, weigh less than the team vision’s but little more than the fulcrums.

How do you compare wheels without riding them? or weight

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Just about to put some Campag Zondas on ebay complete with tubes and 25mm Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres if you are interested? Let me know and I’ll set up the Buy it now price as £125. Postage will be around £15

ogden
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Id avoid the vision 30’s or rs-31, both are ‘deep’ by alloy standards which makes them very heavy but without being aero enough to offer any advantage.

Rs-21 would be a much better all round wheel.

Campag own fulcrum so for a given price point they’ll be just as good. Depends whether you like the the spoke pattern of either.

Probably boils down to:
    Mavic askium – you’ll look like every other sportive-ist whether you are or not
    Shimano rs21 – need a bit of TLC to keep the bearings happy
    Fulcrum – the thinking mans askiums, but the bearings do need pre load adjustment so not completely maintenance free.
    Campag – with shimano, there are rules about this!

Thanks for the help! the Campagnolo Khamsin look like a good option then despite ‘rules’ lol

ogden
    Free Member

What about tyres for commuting? what do people recommend?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

BristolPablo – Member
    Just about to put some Campag Zondas on ebay complete with tubes and 25mm Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres if you are interested? Let me know and I’ll set up the Buy it now price as £125. Postage will be around £15

These

funkrodent

This is a great deal for the price – Merlin Shimano 501s + Conti tyres bundle

The R501 is a perfectly good wheel. unless you’re planning on dropping everybody on the climbs, riding TTs or addicted to strava you’d be pushed to notice the difference from the other wheelsets mentioned above. Good tyres too and all for less than £100.

In answer to the tyre question, the answer is standard Conti Gatorskins..

SaxonRider

Thanks for the help! the Campagnolo Khamsin look like a good option then despite ‘rules’ lol

I’m glad you think so. I’m running them in spite of the ‘rules’.

ogden
    Free Member

This is a great deal for the price – Merlin Shimano 501s + Conti tyres bundle
    The R501 is a perfectly good wheel. unless you’re planning on dropping everybody on the climbs, riding TTs or addicted to strava you’d be pushed to notice the difference from the other wheelsets mentioned above. Good tyres too and all for less than £100.

Not available as 11 speed

Mr_C
    Free Member

The Campag Khamsins can be had from PlanetX for £83.99. The Headline price is £139.99 but using the code PXPPP40 takes 40% off the price. I don’t really need them but at this price it’s almost rude not to.

Linky

ian martin
    Free Member

501’s are 11 speed, the 500’s are 10. I liked my set.
    I’m currently running planet x guttersnipe on my croix de fer for commuting, they are £7.50 at the mo. I rode 205km on the guttersnipe the other Saturday and they were great with the muddy wet roads and had zero punctures.

ogden
    Free Member

When I select them through the link it says 8-10 speed. I thought it would be 11 as someone mentioned that the ones ending in 1 were all 11 speed

ogden
    Free Member

The Campag Khamsins can be had from PlanetX for £83.99. The Headline price is £139.99 but using the code PXPPP40 takes 40% off the price. I don’t really need them but at this price it’s almost rude not to.
    Linky

Are they the same as the ones on wiggle planet x say 2010 model?

wilburt
    Free Member

Mich Lithoins for tyres, my personal preference for inexpensive wheels are mavic aksium. Bulletproof and easy to service.

ian martin
    Free Member

The sad thing about wheels at that price is they are disposable because new rims are so expensive. I know they’re over budget but I’d go for these

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/road-wheel-set-28700c-mavic-open-pro–shimano-105-5800/aid:401809

They’ll match your groupset too.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of the Cero AR24’s that I’m happy with. Also come with a pair of free conti tyres that I use as my winter tyres. Oh, and looks like you now get some free clothing as well.
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/products/wheels/cero-ar24-alloy-road-wheelset-bundle

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Road bike wheel set £120ish budget’ is closed to new replies.