Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road bike wheel rider weight limit
    Free Member

I had been think of upgrading my Alu Defy 1 to a carbon Defy but now think I will just upgrade the stock wheels and have been looking at some thing like the Falcrum Racing 3 but As I am 82 kg I now see Falcrum say they have a max rider weight limit of 82 kg on there wheels before they may need to be checked a lot. The carbon Defy I did look at has the next Gaint wheel set up from mine but I was seeing people saying the wheels are breaking spokes which put me off the bike could this just be people being over the max weight for a given road bike wheel. I have been looking at Falcrum ,Mavic , and Shimano wheels as an upgrade.

taxi25
    Free Member

Loose 1kg and your sorted LOL. But seriously 82kg isnt heavy. I reckon Fulcrum are being ultra cautious ! Real world they’d be fine

mrmo
    Free Member

But seriously 82kg isnt heavy,

Its 13stone. I know BMI is flawed but for a 6foot man your just overweight, just to give some perspective.

There are alot of people kidding themselves that they are lighter than they are.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

All Campagnolo wheels are constructed to meet the highest standards of resistance and durability.
    If you weigh over 109 kg/240 lbs we advise you not to use this product. Non compliance with this warning can damage the product irreversibly. If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs).
    Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections. Using tires with a larger diameter and a frame that respects the standards will help to increase the lifetime of the wheels.

I’m about 82kgs and ride on Campag Zondas, they have been fine to date and roads around Bristol and South Glos are nothing like smooth… you just need to be a bit careful and not hammer straight into things like kerb lips and avoid potholes as you would with any wheel.

If you are concerned, I’d look at something with a regular spoke pattern and 32 holes though a badly built wheel with 32 holes is still going to be liable to buckle or break a spoke.

pingu66
    Free Member

That seems light, I will have to make a note to check weight limits for wheels when in the market.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano wheels have no rider weight limit.

Rscott
    Free Member

I’m currently 84kg, and ride on wheels suited for 82 and they have been fine.

But seriously 82kg isnt heavy,
    Its 13stone. I know BMI is flawed but for a 6foot man your just overweight, just to give some perspective.

There are alot of people kidding themselves that they are lighter than they are.

On a chart maybe they are over weight, but A BMI is some ones opinion on paper, (I am over weight and a bit chubby at the min) but i Know a guy who’s shorter than me and weights 16 stone but hes far from fat. I wich people would stop referring to this and look at body fat Mass Which means a whole lot more

MrOvershoot

Better tell Chris Hoy he’s a chubber then @ 6’1″ & 14.5st

tinribz
    Free Member

BMI is the average right? Means you are above or below the mean weight for your height. I look emaciated at ideal BMI, body type should come into it really.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I was 14 stone riding on my Fulcrum racing 5’s now 12st 4 and as far as I know wheels are fine. About to get them serviced before they go on my new bike so will find out if there’s ought wrong with them. Never new there was a weight limit though.

njee20
    Free Member

BMI is the average right?

No…? Nothing to do with average.

I’d not have any specific concerns about being on their lower weight limit, but I’d wonder why they’ve put one in.

Toasty

I know BMI is flawed but for a 6foot man your just overweight, just to give some perspective.

Putting those numbers into:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

24.7 on here and the NHS website, “normal weight”.

tinribz
    Free Member

No…? Nothing to do with average.

Adolphe Quételet Creates The Body Mass Index (BMI)
    Who:Adolphe Quételet
    When: 1830
    Why: In an attempt to describe the average man
    How: Quantifying mean values of measured variables that follow a normal distribution
    Where: Brussels, Belgium

His most influential book was Sur l’homme et le développement de ses facultés, ou Essai de Physique Sociale, published in 1835 (In English: A Treatise on Man). In it, Quételet outlines the project of a social physics and describes his concept of the “average man” (l’homme moyen) who is characterized by the mean values of measured variables that follow a normal distribution.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shimano wheels have no rider weight limit.

Neither do Bontrager

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road bike wheel rider weight limit’ is closed to new replies.