Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road bike wheel question.
  • skink2020

Was given a pair of wheels by an old friend. Dura ace hubs mavic 30mm v rims.There’s an 8 speed cassette on. They were built my Alister Gow some years ago.
    Problem is they are for tubulars? He also gave me 8 Tubular tyres. Some brand new, some used a bit.
    Can anyone give me a guide price for them?
    I’ll never ever use them .
    I appreciate all advice.
    Thanks in advance.

oldgit
    Free Member

The retro boys will love them. 8 speed is just a little way back now. Sound bloody nice though and I might be interested

skink2020

Where do i find these Retro boys?
    I own enough junk as it is and if i bring these wheels and tubs into the house i will be beaten soundly by the wife.

oldgit
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

OP you can fit 9 and 10s on them

Price…not huge, the hubs are 20 odd years old, but should still work great.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

retrobike.co.uk my good man there’s of us over there nice place too

skink2020

Thank you all very much.
    Appreciated.

puddings
    Free Member

IIRC 8 speed DA hubs can only be used with 8 speed DA cassettes – Shimano were going through one of their non-compatibility fazes. Retrobike is place to head for the wheels.
    As for the tubs – if they are well aged and have been stored correctly you will find that the time trial boys will be very interested – the theory is that they roll faster as they age (pro teams have wine cellars full of the things maturing)

cynic-al
    Free Member

the theory is that they roll faster as they age

LOL, not a go at you, tubs have more myths around them that Paris Hilton’s sex life…I’ve even heard that you should deflate them between rides WTF!

puddings
    Free Member

The aged thing holds so much sway that vintage Hutchinson Supersprints go for a couple hundred each – still if a fool can be found, they can be parted with their pennies according to the saying

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road bike wheel question.’ is closed to new replies.