Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Road bike weights – What do the Pro's do?
  • mboy
    Free Member

The 6.8kg weight limit is daft.

Quite the opposite IMO.

It makes for an effective level playing field. This isn’t motor racing, where the manufacturers are competing for honours as well as the drivers. This is cycling, where it is supposed to be all about the rider. The UCI weight limit helps in this respect.

Besides, how much faster do you think they would be on a 12lb bike rather than a 15lb one?

steve_b77
    Free Member

This’ll tell you the average speed for every tour.

It’s not got much faster since the early ’90’s – but then again drug use is slightly less prevalent nowadays.

How much lighter are today’s bikes than those of 20-25 years ago?

cynic-al
    Free Member

weight makes little difference to speed!

Oh and **** me what is Bauer riding 😀

njee20
    Free Member

It makes for an effective level playing field. This isn’t motor racing, where the manufacturers are competing for honours as well as the drivers. This is cycling, where it is supposed to be all about the rider. The UCI weight limit helps in this respect.

Except that’s not the point of the weight limit. When most manufacturers are adding heavier parts then it’s not reducing the budget either, we’re not seeing some teams struggling desperately to achieve 6.8kg, it’s easy.

I think it’s good in that it’s driven innovation in aerodynamics, and perhaps things like Di2/EPS and power meter technology wouldn’t have come in the same way if the weight limit were scrapped, but I’d happily see it taken down by a couple of pounds to see what happens.

aracer
    Free Member

So how is it fair, or a level playing field that Emma Pooley has to ride a bike which is just as heavy as the one Fabian Cancellara rides?

RickyRah
    Free Member

A few years ago that Cancellara was using cheaper (heavier) FSA gossamer cranks rather than carbon. I guess this helped with the weight and stiffness.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Apparently that was down to their stiffness.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Road bike weights – What do the Pro's do?’ is closed to new replies.