Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Road bike versus commuter:How much quicker?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Woodywoodbine – what’s that actual scientific evidence OF? That guy has two road bikes for a start, and it doesn’t say if his commute is flat or not.

We’re not debating bike weight here.

25mph, slightly quicker than the average speed of last year’s TdF winner then. hmmmmmmm……

Well clearly 25mph for a few miles isn’t the same as averaging 25mph for three weeks through mountains, is it? No-one’s pretending that.

I will concur, 25mph is hard but doable on the flat for a 10 mile TT for a good amateur biker I’d say.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Could you fit some 700c disk wheels on your GT?

And what kinda of glass/garbage do you currently run over on the commute? Time changing the thin punctured little road tyre will eat into you average speed…

molgrips
    Free Member

Get kevlar armoured road tyres then…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Well clearly 25mph for a few miles isn’t the same as averaging 25mph for three weeks through mountains, is it? No-one’s pretending that.

It’s not 3 weeks through mountains though is it. Plus they’re ridding in a pack on some of the best bikes available with full team back up and a team of doctors and nutritionists behind them. Oh yeah, and they’re the top athletes in their field at the top of their game.
    The point I’m making is that a commuter on a road bike with panniers or a backpack or whatever, is going to have to be a seriously strong ridder to average 25 miles an hour on a commute, or maybe their speedo is wrong, or they hit 25 once downhill with a tail wind, or they don’t actually cruise at 25 mph at all, but a bit slower.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Road bike versus commuter:How much quicker?’ is closed to new replies.