Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Road Bike usage – Can I use MTB shoes and MTB pedals?
  • B@rney
    Free Member

As above it works obviously as using it now – but what are the benefits of using road shoes and pedals on my road bike?

Currently using Gaerne Carbon’s with Crank Brothers.

many thanks

aP
    Free Member

Stiffer, lighter, more comfortable, more moto.

Tiger6791

You can walk around in the tea shop without looking a complete idiot.

MTB shoes work fine unless you’re a hardcore roadie.

I’ve done Time Trials though in my MTB SPD shoes and pedals, they are just better for everyday riding.

cudubh

I use my MTB shoes and SPDs on my road bike for my commute. I think the recessed cleats are easier to walk in than road shoes would be.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I use an mtb setup, shimano mt41 shoes, or Specialized super duper something or other depending on the weather. I find on longer rides, 60miles plus, that I get slightly numb feet. I think it’s because the MTB SPD has a smaller platform than the road SPDs and therefore the pressure on the foot isn’t spread out as much. It hasn’t been enough to stop me doing it though. I do it for the convenience of being able to swap shoes easily.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If your happy with what you have and you shoes are comfy and your feet are not falling asleep or giving you pressure pain then I wouldn’t worry 🙂

cp

as foxy really. day to day, or if you’re doing anything other than a pure road ride, then mtb pedals are fine.

I do find the extra solid feel of good road shoes and pedals gives me a psychological boost if nothing else, and I definitely prefer wearing them for a pure road ride.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Yes you can, we do in this house – 3 of us.

B@rney
    Free Member

Ok..thanks very much people

rootes1

yep, works fine

though in the end for my road bike i went for the compromise option of:

these:

plus:

best of both ‘worlds’

tragically1969
    Free Member

You can walk around in the tea shop without looking a complete idiot.

Hmmm, hardly like walking up Oxford Street on a Saturday morning is it ?

I’ve done Time Trials though in my MTB SPD shoes and pedals

That’s too funny, i reckon 9 out of 10 riders who saw you thought ‘look at that idiot’.

fourbanger
    Free Member

That’s too funny, i reckon 9 out of 10 riders who saw you thought ‘look at that idiot’.

I reckon 9 out of 10 riders were too busy hauling arse.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yep, if your mtb shoes are good then pair them up with some A520’s and those pedals will offer a lot more support than mtb spd’s as the shoe grip has a bigger platform to rest on – no problems here on 50 mile rides with foot comfort.

foxyrider
    Free Member

And who cares? 🙄

glenp
    Free Member

In pure road riding circles it’s considered a style no-no. Mind you, that’s talking about people who take offence if you have your riding glasses inside your helmet straps.

I use the Shimano pedals above, which are single-sided, light, and mtb spd compatible. I have some Shimano brown suede touring shoes, which are close enough to a normal trainer shoe in style to just wear with jeans and have a recessed cleat. Plus I can jump on the road bike with my other spd shoes on (hang what anyone thinks).

The recessed cleat is essential really, considering the certainty of slipping sooner or later if you clump around in road shoes.

Having said all of that, if I had a full racer (rather than my Audax style bike) I probably would become the style victim and use proper road shoes and pedals.

Kahurangi

tragically1969 – I did a TT on my commutter (alfine geared touring bike with full mudguards and panniers). I got a few encouraging comments and no sneers.

maybe others are just more accepting?

I have to walk around in my commutting SPD’s and don’t midne the bit more flex that they give on the bike.

2tyred

I use road shoes and pedals on my road bikes, SPDs on my fixed commuter.

I find the road setup much better to ride in – bigger contact area with the sole of the shoe, feels generally more secure, stiffer and lighter with less float – but the SPDs better for day-to-day resilience. Reckon I’d wear down road cleats on the commute in no time, just the amount of walking about I do off the bike. Speedplays offer the best of both worlds, but they’re a bit too pricey for me.

I know some good road riders who routinely wear SPDs for non-race riding, I say go with what feels best.

Haze

Couldn’t afford the outlay early on so used my mtb shoes/pedals and I got on fine.

Switched to dedicated road stuff when I got the funds together, only one ride with them so far.

Crank Brothers have a fair bit of float compared to the Time I just bought. I feel far more connected to the bike, particularly on out the saddle stuff.

My advice, get road stuff if you’re using the bike lots.

e2a: agree with the commuting comments, still use the CB’s on my relatively short trip.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tragically1969 – Member
    I’ve done Time Trials though in my MTB SPD shoes and pedals

LOL at the rule-follower…those peoples’ opinions are meant to matter?

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve got spds on my winter bike and Northwave GTX goretex boots (I get very cold feet). I pulled my foot out doing intervals last week which could have been nasty, i’m looking forward to going back to my Time RXEs when spring arrives.

rOcKeTdOg

Mtb shoes, pedals, peaked helmet and baggy shorts most of the time, who cares apart from those who think “the look” is more important the the.ride?

BillOddie

Ask Jo Burt and watch him slowly turn purple and then cry.

aracer
    Free Member

I use an mtb setup, shimano mt41 shoes, or Specialized super duper something or other depending on the weather. I find on longer rides, 60miles plus, that I get slightly numb feet. I think it’s because the MTB SPD has a smaller platform than the road SPDs and therefore the pressure on the foot isn’t spread out as much

More because those MT41s are pretty flexy – if you used high end MTB shoes with carbon soles you’d not notice much difference.

I have best of both worlds – proper roadie shoes

with proper road SPDs (not like those compromise things above)

…and these (no longer available new) on my TT bike

The advantage being that I can also ride my road bikes with MTB shoes if I want – as I did for a year or so between my previous road shoes dying and buying those above. As for people thinking “look at that idiot”, they do tend to think that a bit less from a rear view – I won* a sportive wearing MTB shoes.

* yes I know it’s not a race – was fastest finisher after dropping the rest.

Tiger6791

Probably 🙂 bet they were more bothered by the fact I was on my Mercian Touring Bike with racks and guards though.

Still didn’t post bad times though and had fun 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

And who cares?

I did a TT on my commutter (alfine geared touring bike with full mudguards and panniers). I got a few encouraging comments and no sneers.

LOL at the rule-follower…those peoples’ opinions are meant to matter?

Oh dear, Oh dear, there there, did everybody get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

Smile people, it was meant to be tongue in cheek……

cynic-al
    Free Member

Smile people, it was meant to be tongue in cheek……

Atcha!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike usage – Can I use MTB shoes and MTB pedals?’ is closed to new replies.