Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road bike tyres, what do I need to know
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hello I bought my first road bike last year it came with Scwalbe Lugano tyres. I have no experience of road bikes and want to replace them, they have performed ok but I don’t have a comparison to know if they are any good compared to others, going off price I’m assuming they are budget. What can people recommend? Budget approx £80 for a set

TiRed

Luganos aren’t bad. Yours will have wire beads. I’d recommend Schwalbe Durano S for lighter, more supple and better puncture resistance. If you want faster then Schwalbe Ones are excellent but not really a “winter tyre”. Doesn’t stop me riding them though. And some decent inner tubes. I like latex and don’t mind pumping my tyres every couple of days (they lose 8-10 psi/day). But really cheap heavy inner tubes will make a dull ride.

Go for 25c. Yours may be 23c Luganos. The wider profile makes a more comfortable ride, lower rolling resistance and a little more pothole protection.

I also rate Mavic Yksion Pros in 25c and Vittoria Open Pave in 27c. The latter are out of your price range – must like green too. A Continental fan will be along presently…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks, yes they are 23c. I commute 4 days a week currently on the bike but have a charity ride in March so want the new tyres for then and to stay on over spring into summer. I think the current ones will last till then.

fasthaggis

What you need to know ..is that now is a very good time to buy tyres for the summer 🙂

I like the Vittoria Open Corsa CX

scaredypants

those are 20mm tyres – ouch 😯

mwg58

Continental grand prix gt perfect all year round only available in 25mm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road bike tyres, what do I need to know’ is closed to new replies.