Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike tyre help please
  • jwab
    Free Member

I have an issue with my road bike that i built up recently.

I got a resonably old but light steel frame and added wheels that used to have 35c tyres on.

As these did not fit the frame i swapped the tyres for cheap 25c ones which just about fit. However, i two issues:

– the tyres always seem to have a flat spot and no matter what i try they dont seem to sit prefectly round on the rim. Is this down to the cheap tyre or the rim being too wide?

– i (or at least my son) keeps getting punctures, so, i guess replacing the cheap ‘test’ tyres will help. Does anyone konw of a resonably price, puncture resistant tyre?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

What you calling a reasonable price? Schwalbe Durano Plus, as ‘puncture resistant’ as you can realistically get for a smooth road tyre and can be had for £25/£30 a go in 25c.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like your tyre isn’t seated properly, take it off and try again, soapy water on the bead helps. Dunno re duranos but some puncture proof tires kill the ride.

scaled
    Free Member

more pressure/bigger tyres+new wheels.

Punctures all snakebites?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Al – RE:Durano Plus, I’ve been pretty impressed. No they aren’t race tyres, but they are not as dead as Marathon Plus’s but have the same puncture resistance.

TiRed

Durano plus are superb. I rode in a chain gang on my fixed last night at an average of 20mph on 23c pumped to 110psi. Very good in the wet too.

And they are a world away from Marathon’s (which I have on other bikes).

thehustler
    Free Member

Speech armadillo 25’s and I ride an old rail track don’t get any punctures if pressures are kept right, the speech shop in Stafford say they would swap the tyre/ inner foc if you manage to puncture It. In a different way

jwab
    Free Member

Cheers bristolbiker, it is more than i hoped, but you get what you pay for, and if it stops me having to fix punctures all the time it is the way to go. My current ones were a cheap guess at the max size i could get away with.

I will also try the soapy water, hadn’t thought of that and hopefully it will work as it is currently a nightmare to only get close. Give me a decent mtb tyre / wheel anytime!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike tyre help please’ is closed to new replies.