Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Road bike that climbs
  • njee20
    Free Member

Which is basically what I said – riding to a power is good if you want consistency, I ride faster when I ignore the number though. If you always climb at 300w you’ll never push yourself. Don’t get how that doesn’t vary with climbs though. I did 460w up a 2 minute climb today, but that’s my lot, that would’ve come down if it had been much longer! Certainly wouldn’t aim to climb Barhatch at that.

In fact these days I use my PowerTap far more for post ride analysis than real time. It’s totally wasted anyway, I don’t train anymore, just ride my bike.

jonxmack
    Free Member

TiRed – Without sounding rude, I’ve been riding with a power meter for 2.5 years, I’m aware of how much power I can put out for how long.

njee20 – I agree completely, I set my Garmin to just show cadence when I’m on a hard interval, that way I can just concentrate on the riding and not look down every few minutes at the power reading, and I also use my power meter less than I used to, purely because I know from all the time I’ve spent riding with it what certain power levels feel like, so I can easily ride on feel without having to look at the Garmin once. Being able to analyse post ride is incredibly useful though, even though I’m not training for anything.

TiRed

Well obviously, the 300W is for me and is relative to my FTP, I wouldn’t claim 300W for everyone, just that when climbing it helps to know and maintain one’s effort.

When I ride intervals I’m counting pedal strokes and trying to keep the big number over 330W.

njee20
    Free Member

Well obviously, the 300W is for me and is relative to my FTP, I wouldn’t claim 300W for everyone, just that when climbing it helps to know and maintain one’s effort.

Not sure I get it though. If you know you can do all climbs at 300w then surely you’re spending your whole life pootling around below your FTP and not really getting much out of your power meter?

Surely the whole point is that you establish your x minute power (which of course varies by duration) and use that to avoid blowing up… I’d not ride a 10 mile TT and the same power as a 25.

TiRed

If you know you can do all climbs at 300w

I don’t 300 is 10% above my FTP. Hence i’m pushing it but not dying. If I’m just doing intervals up and down my nearest hill, I just suffer at as many watts as I can put out – but that isn’t a strategy for long rides. If I sprint over Le Col de Colnbrook (M25 bridge) on the way to work, I’m well-over 400W.

But I find that on longer climbs keeping to 300W or 110% of FTP is a reasonable effort for long rides in the Surrey Hills and a power meter helps my climbing by stopping me going to hard. And I select a gear for that power.

njee20
    Free Member

We are saying the same then. You made it sound like you just do all your climbing at 300w!

If I sprint over Le Col de Colnbrook (M25 bridge) on the way to work, I’m well-over 400W.

If that’s a sprint there’s an area to train 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Road bike that climbs’ is closed to new replies.