Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road bike: sweaty head – dripping / stinging eyes – any recommendations?
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

During these hot days I have been suffering with a sweaty head and on long climbs it can drip down on my glasses or in my eyes making it somewhat unpleasant.

I have been looking into the standard ‘cotton’ cap that people wear under helmets but worried this is just going to boil my head. I also like the look of the Mavic summer cap or the Castelli headband but I also like the idea of a ‘peak’.

Can anyone recommend a ‘cap’ that isn’t too hot and can be worn under the helmet on hot summer days??

tracknicko
    Free Member

try a standard roady cloth cap. not too hot.

stop the sweat in summer, stop wind chill in winter.

cracking bit of kit. and cheap as chips.

Lummox

merino (material and extra length) buff pirate style or headband, my giro xen pads are rubbish and this fixes it.

Extra benefits are, no sun tanned stripes on your head and the tail protects your neck from the sun too.

jota180
    Free Member

I wear a bandana
    Mainly to stop strange sun tan patterns on my bald head but it also stops the sweat and isn’t at all hotter than without

cheers_drive

I use one of these. Does the job well, without looking to ‘special’ when just below the helmet. Good at preventing glasses from steaming up to.

wwaswas

any buff in a pirate style.

You can tuck the tail in for a less Foriegn Legion look.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Another vote for the Buff,no streaky tan lines on my cone head & stops sweat dripping into my eyes

Wookster

Simlar to the gutter thing try a halo head band.

perthmtb
    Free Member

+1 for Halo headband. I regularly ride in 30deg+ conditions and this keeps the sweat out of my eyes/off the sunnies for a good hour before it needs to be wrung out!

monksie
    Free Member

Vaseline (Not Assos Minty Arse Lard) smeared above your eyebrows and slightly to the side of your eyes.
    Just a smear mind.
    Works wonders, doesn’t look daft, costs pennies.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

cut down buff for me under helmet works by wicking away sweat

aa
    Free Member

+1 for a standard cotton cap

prendas ciclismo do a range at really good prices

Cycling Caps

MadBillMcMad

I use the Squirt Sweatsucker.

That sweat gutr might be a better option though as the sweatsucker does get saturated after a while.

jonba
    Free Member

does a full buff in summer not make you really hot I sweat wearing one in winter!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I sweat wearing one in winter!

+1

jota180
    Free Member

does a full buff in summer not make you really hot I sweat wearing one in winter!

Seems cooler if anything at road bike speeds, I guess a combination of keeping the sun of your head and some chemistry with – magicery – evaporation stuff going on

crankcrusher
    Free Member

I use Halo Headbands. They are the only solution that has really worked for me and I swear by them. They have headbands and beanies that fit relly well under a helmet and redirect all of the sweat away from your eyes. The beanies are really good as they stop your head getting burnt in the summer if the thatch is thinning and also stop the bugs.

Link below
    [/url]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jSezcUlS-jo[/video]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road bike: sweaty head – dripping / stinging eyes – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.