Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Road bike slowing me down
  • bikeman1
    Free Member

Used my road bike over the last few days for various local journeys, but don’t use it as often as I like in fear of it being pinched in cities etc. Use my mountain bike about twice a week for off road riding at trail centres/natural woodland and my hybrid to get around town, with added benefit of pannier racks, more space for extra lights and lower chance of punctures/theft. Traveled up the mighty hills of north London on Friday night and found a real lack of power in the hybrid and felt slower than before. Road bike has been put away most of winter, with doing more trips on weekends and Wednesday afternoons off road on the MTB. I also find that traveling fast on roads easier on the hybrid and MTB with the greater stopping power of disk brakes/V brakes, as well as better visibility.

aP
    Free Member

I don’t understand your point I’m afraid.

stufive
    Free Member

Hmm me neither..are you saying that because you used your road bike for a couple of days you some how lost performance?

scaredypants

so you’ve used the road bike a couple of times recently and it has made you slower ?

Doubt it – you may feel slower in comp to the road bike but I can’t see how it can have affected you in general terms

trail_rat
    Free Member

The point from reading the gibberish is – man doesnt ride alot and has lost fitness ….but i could be wrong its about as clear as mud

taxi25
    Free Member

I think I know what you mean. A road bike isn’t always the best around town bike. But if you push harder on the pedals it will go faster.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed to work it out , I’m off for a pint

mikewsmith
    Free Member

perception vs measurement?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If your road bike is slowing you down then you are doing it all wrong.

DrP

Has he become the road bike? hence his forum name?
    Or had the bike taken control of his personality, and is now berating other bikes?

It’s definitely one or the other…

DrP

glupton1976
    Free Member

Was there a headwind? Did you have a hangover? Do you have the lurgy in the post?

Road bikes dont make you slower.

Edit: Do you have a BMI >30?

mokl
    Free Member

I find the mtb feels a bit slow and sluggish if I’ve been riding the road bike a lot, but I soon readjust to it. Dunno if that’s what you mean?

rascal
    Free Member

Bonkers post.

onandon
    Free Member

No, I gave it a shot by cant work it out either.

svalgis
    Free Member

because dragons

nosherduke996
    Free Member

You need to put at least 100 miles per week on the road bike. After a month of tired legs and aches an pains you will see the rewards.
    I am 58 years old this year and still do between 4 to 5000 miles a year

psling
    Free Member

Pump the tyres up.

You need to put at least 100psi per tyre on the road bike. After a winter of storage it will see the rewards 😉

aracer
    Free Member

From what I can work out, riding a road bike made him unintelligible. There’s a warning to you all.

mikey74
    Free Member

You need to put at least 100 miles per week on the road bike.

I call bull-plop on that one. It’s not the distance, it’s the intensity that counts. To put an arbitrary figure, such as 100 miles/week, on it is pointless.

Trimix
    Free Member

What he meant was the road bike is slowing down his thinking – thats why his post makes no sence.

smell_it
    Free Member

Is bikeman1 some form of STW bot that randomly selects bits of other posts when forum traffic is slow? it’s like a less ranty one of those posts after 11pm when 99% of STW’ers have gone to sleepy time, which are then neatly mod’ed out before breakfast, drunkbikeman2 bot.

nikk
    Free Member

I think I worked it out.

I condensed the text and tried to form correct sentences. The confusion seems to lie primarily in the highlighted section:

My road bike is slowing me down. I don’t use it as often as I’d like. but I have tried it over the last few days for various local journeys.

I normally use my mountain bike about twice a week for off road riding, and my hybrid to get around town.

I went for a ride on Friday night and found a real lack of power in the hybrid (????) and felt slower than before.

I find that traveling fast on roads is easier on the hybrid and MTB, as they have better brakes and better visibility.

I think it’s a typo, and that the highlighted ‘hybrid’ should be replaced with ‘road bike’.

However, it is a strange post overall. It seems to simply be a statement that hybrid is faster than road bike.

So, the TdF et al need to be informed that they are using the wrong bikes?

Bez

You’re supposed to be taking EPO, not LSD.

mikey74
    Free Member

I actually think what the OP is saying is that he does not feel confident on his road bike and therefore goes faster on his hybrid, which he feels more comfortable on.

njee20
    Free Member

No I think he’s saying he rarely uses his road bike. Used it a couple of times, then went back to the hybrid on Friday and felt slower, ie riding the road bike has slowed him down.

It’s total bollocks either way.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

he’s clearly pissed.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Road bike slowing me down’ is closed to new replies.