Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road bike sizing question..
  • renton
    Free Member

Im looking at buying a road bike to commute on but am not sure how to size them up for correct fit.

Im 6foot2 and ride an xl turner.

What sort of size roadbike should I be looking at and how can I tell if it fits correctly or not?

Cheers

STEVE

RustySpanner

Most of the websites from the biggies have size charts.
    Should narrow down the choice at least?

Go and sit on a few, ask LBS?

Loads of complex fitting guides available but you can’t beat just slinging a leg over one.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve not really sat on a road Bike so nit sure how they are meant to fit.

Plus was really looking secondhand so can’t really throw a leg over one?

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m 6″2 and ride a M/L giant TCR 2, think that equates ~56cm in normal sizes. I usually ride a 19″ HT.

Kato

I’m a long legged 6’1″ and ride a 56cm Specialized

My MTB’s are 19in

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

a 6’2 you’d be in 58cm territory. depends on how you like your bikes, I’ve always ridden the road as well as mtb so I like a long top tube, I have an XL Anthem 29 with a 110mm negative stem and a size L TCR Advanced with a 135mm 0 deg stem if that helps any.

Personally I’d say unless you’ve got really short arms/torso a 56 is too short.

LardLover
    Free Member

Snap, I’m just over 6 foot and ride a 56cm (effective top tube) – compact geometry, I also ride a 55cm traditional geometry frame (long legs – short torso).

Would still recommend going and slinging a leg over a few, perhaps even hire one to try?

cynic-al
    Free Member

58/60

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

All depends on inside leg & arm measurements.

Im 6′ 3″ with a 34 / 35″ inside leg, average arm length.

Even after a trip to my lbs, I opted to go against what they suggested (58cm) & ended up with a 61cm.

I can honestly say im glad I did – the bike is unbelievably comfortable (Specialized Roubaix)

tsurani
    Free Member

I found this pretty helpful when i was looking
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Typically, 58cm or less (depending on your flexibility, size of your belly, leg and arm length etc)

There’s loads of adjustment in saddle/stem/bar position though, so don’t wont to much.

If you’re unsure, err on the side of caution and go with a smaller size. There’s nothing worse than a road bike that’s to big for you as you’ll end up with your bars as high as your saddle, a short stem and your saddle all the way forward to make it fit.

But, if it’s just for commuting, what about a hybrid?

househusband

I’ve got a 58cm/XL Scott CR1 and am just a bit shorter than you; I was 6’2″ but seem to have lost an inch in middle-age…

Renton; you’re at Leuchars now..? Welcome round (fifteen minute drive) if you want to come and have a sit on it.

captain-slow
    Free Member

56/58 and possibly 60 depending on limb lengths and riding style. really important to try a few before spending too much, although bikes bought second hand on ebay can usually be sold second hand on ebay at not too much of a loss…

renton
    Free Member

Househusband …. I will take you up on that offer when I get back off this course I’m on in the UK!!

Had thought aboit a hybrid, I’ve got a carrera subway with 26 inch wheels at the moment and I’m finding it very uncomfortable and cramped compared to my 5 spot! The subway is a 21 inch frame to but visually looks a lot smaller than the spot!

I may also look at a rigid 29er with slicks to see if that’s any better!

What hybrids are there aboit?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road bike sizing question..’ is closed to new replies.