Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike size question….
  • stumpy01

I finally have come to the conclusion that swapping to slick tyred wheels and riding my Inbred on the road is a ball ache, so am contemplating getting a road bike. Never bought one before so don’t really know what I am looking for…
    A mate of mine can get me a very good deal on a Raleigh Airlite 200; the 2011 version. It’s a 51cm frame. I am 5’6″ with a 30″ inside leg (not particularly accurately measured).
    I think this frame size will be OK, but am not 100% sure.

I am struggling to get any decent info on the frame geometry or even a decent sizing guide on the Raleigh website. Their sizing guide seems to relate more to mountain bike frames, as it’s all in inches….there doesn’t seem to be any reference to road bike sizes.

Any assistance would be great. I know that I can make tweaks with stem length etc. but I’d rather get it as right as I can to begin with.

Ta in advance.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Is it a compact frame or a regular frame? Compact frames have shorter seat-tubes but the top tube still has similar sizing to regular ones in the S/M/L sizes. If it is a regular, then that frame sounds a bit too small for you. I’m 5’8″ and usually ride a 54/55cm or size M in compact, if that makes sense?!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try before you buy unless you can answer the question yourself.

Top tube length is what matters tho.

mudsux
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you and think the effective top-tube is a tiny bit long in the 51cm size.

I’d prefer to go with smaller frame / longer stem.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Road bike fit is more important than for mountain bikes as you tend to be more stationary on the bike in the one position for longer. Really unless you want to make an expensive mistake try before you buy. Ideally buy from somewhere you can get a proper bike fit and test ride. You might fit the bike but not like the way it rides. Not ideal but better than nothing you could get a bike fit somewhere then once you know the measurements of your riding position you can see if they can be accomodated on the Raleigh.

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

I think the Raleigh is more of a semi-compact frame. The 53.5 top tube sounds about right, as does the 51cm seat tube, but you need to try it before buying.

stumpy01

Cheers for the advice chaps…..

Currently trying to be sociable with the family, so excuse the lack of replies…

I will try to try before I buy…
    I found that size guide posted above, but it doesn’t tell you the size for a certain height range, which while not perfect it would be a good start…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any size guide is only someone’s opinion – may not be any better than folk’s on here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike size question….’ is closed to new replies.