Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Road bike shorts that aren't skin tight lycra
  • nach
    Free Member

+1 for Giro’s new road shorts. They’re not baggy, just not skin tight. I did a load of road riding in the alps last year in some, they were comfortable, not flappy or annoying.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Rapha Touring shorts here too – been using mine everyday for over 3 years and still going strong. No signs of wear which is really impressive.

really? do you ride much? I’ve gone through 3/4 pairs in the last couple of years, I’m down to 2 pairs now, more or less 1 pair is always away at Rapha for repairs

Gary_M
    Free Member

really? do you ride much? I’ve gone through 3/4 pairs in the last couple of years, I’m down to 2 pairs now, more or less 1 pair is always away at Rapha for repairs

I’ve gone through one pair and I’m on my 2nd. 1st pair lasted around 3 years, I commute 20 miles each way 3-5 days a week and wear the rapha touring shorts at least 50% of the time. I have gore waterproof shorts for wet days.

I certainly wouldn’t send them back to rapha for repair as I wouldn’t expect them to last forever.

nach
    Free Member

It might be the difference between your saddles.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t send them back to rapha for repair as I wouldn’t expect them to last forever.

why not? part of the reason i justify the high cost of some Rapha items is the repair service, shorts are almost a consumable item and if they want to repair them for free great, thrown too many shorts away from other brands

Repair Service Policy
    Rapha offers a free repair service where a crash or accident has damaged a garment or a failure has occurred even after significant usage.

It might be the difference between your saddles.

Fizik Antares 00

Gary_M
    Free Member

What does the repair consist of? Stitching a seam where the threads worn through? I can do that myself. I’ve used the repair service before for crash damage but wouldn’t bother for a bit of stitching.

Flite tranalp and flite kit carbonio

hora
    Free Member

Those Navo shorts look good. Unless you are smashing out a world class century covered in advertising slogons (why the **** do people ride wearing those?) – why would you wear skin tight lycra?

Walking into a cafe with your cock obviously outlined isn’t fun- now I know how girls feel with a large chest= very conscious.

ANYONE in lycra doesn’t look good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

why would you wear skin tight lycra?

Why wouldn’t you wear it?

Its not about looks, its about purpose. I don’t go out on my bike to attract the laydeez.

I wear overshorts when commuting for a reason, I don’t need them on nromal road rides so don’t wear them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Who the hell cares? It’s very functional.

Lycra doesn’t outline my cock, there’s just a lump, it’s no different to tight jeans. There’s a thick bit of towelling at the front that covers it, it’s not just thin lycra down there.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What does the repair consist of? Stitching a seam where the threads worn through? I can do that myself. I’ve used the repair service before for crash damage but wouldn’t bother for a bit of stitching.

they patch it up using the same fabric

Gary_M
    Free Member

they patch it up using the same fabric

Yeh they did that with the top I holed in a crash. No holes in my shorts though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Not cheap but I find my Endura MTR baggies work really well for road riding. Very lightweight, slim on the legs / barely notice you’re wearing them. Feel a bit delicate for off road – single tracks better there.

hora
    Free Member

Lycra doesn’t outline my cock, there’s just a lump, it’s no different to tight jeans. There’s a thick bit of towelling at the front that covers it, it’s not just thin lycra down there.

Your jeans aren’t thinly sprayed on with a lump centrally placed.

mrchrispy

seriously hora.
    I for one look awsomez in figure hugging cycle wear, despite not being on the schwerpz, I’m sure the ladies love it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hora I don’t know what sort of lycra shorts you’ve tried but all the ones I have have a pad that goes up the front a touch covering the offending ‘lump’. Maybe you’ve tried padless lycra running shorts or the issue with clearly visible male genitalia is in your head

maccruiskeen

I have have a pad that goes up the front a touch covering the offending ‘lump’

Its the lump poking out the back thats offending me

molgrips
    Free Member

Neither are my lycra shorts. No cock on display here:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No cock on display here

So having a small knob does have its advantages after all ?

philjunior
    Free Member

OMFG! People might know I have a willy!

I ride far enough to work to get changed, so I wear cycling clothes on the bike. I’ve popped into pubs for a quick pint on the way home, and whilst I’ll put some overshorts on if I know I’m gonna do so, I don’t think anyone imagines I’m trying to show off the budgie when I don’t.

(I think that pose photographed above is a bit strange looking though, possibly to avoid bulge, who knows.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Google for pictures of cycling shorts, they are all like that.

I know there are some wardrobe fails out there though amongst pros – maybe it’s the podium girls.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I got the Polish cycling team and it wasn’t anything like that 😐

Gary_M
    Free Member

Think I’ll leave it for now ta

prezet
    Free Member

Yep, commute about 15 miles every day and the occasional weekend ride (when I don’t fancy getting the mtb out). I wear them year round.

_tom_
    Free Member

The DHB shorts are good and cheap. Dunno why you’d pay more. They last ages as well, I’ve had a few crashes in mine and they’re still not ripped. The sizing is alright, small fits my 32″ waist fine.

roryo07
    Free Member

The GBW Element Shorts are fairly lightweight and give you plenty of breathing space in these hot summer temps! I use them for my half hour commutes every day 🙂 http://www.tgstore.co.uk/element-shorts-p-6404.html

GrahamS

I got the Polish cycling team and it wasn’t anything like that

Indeedy!

djambo
    Free Member

on my daily commute (8 mile each way) I wear cycling shorts (not bibs) with some cheapo sale ‘hiking’ shorts that I got from Katmandu/Cotswold or somewhere similar. light weight, cheap, proved durable so far..

richardthird

Decathlon’s cheapo B’Twin 300 series are even better than Navos (Got both, always reach for the B’Twins). Lighter, thinner, narrower, handy poppered pocket.

ransos
    Free Member

Just as an extra question – what do you guys normally wear along with your non-lycra shorts? I’m tending to favour a Howies merino top.

Yep. I have two – short and long sleeve so can double up if it’s a bit chilly.

Why wouldn’t you wear it?

I don’t put on my walking gear for a stroll to the shops.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Road bike shorts that aren't skin tight lycra’ is closed to new replies.