Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Road bike saddle for the less naturaly padded
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Im trying the specalized seat. had the measurement done but not impressed with it.
    What are people using then. Might try Fizik something anysuggestion welcome havnt got alot of funds around the £60 mark so should be a few out there.

jonba
    Free Member

Saddles are personal so it is hard to recommend one. You can try a lot before you find the right one. If you do buy several.

The charge range seem to be comfortable for me. If you are doing serious miles then less is more when it comes to padding. More padded saddles have more chance of chaffing.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For what little use it is I’ve never got on with Spesh saddles but always use selle itaila
    But that’s just me.

Some brands do an exchange / return policy
    Spesh are doing a 30 day return thing on there’s at the moment I think
    And sure fizik used to do somthing similar

You just need to try a few

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Yeah, no right answer- I really like the Charge Knife, but I bet it could be a torture device for some folks (I reckon the skinnier you are, the less padding you should have- padding creates uneven pressure and lack of support, a firm one that fits you doesn’t need much padding)

mrmo
    Free Member

if by less naturally padded you mean skinny, it makes no difference. I use SLRs, the 135gram ones so almost no padding they are fine, used a Fizik and just didn’t get along with it. Nothing wrong as a saddle just not the right shape for ME.

Fizik did offer bright green demo saddles from some shops so you could try before you bought.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

SLR – wear your padding in your shorts

zangolin
    Free Member

Also SLR – the 135g ones on my road bikes. It basically has no padding – but after a while the carbon composite shell moulds to your shape and gives plenty of support.
    As mentioned before it’s such a personal thing and can be a case of trying different models/makes.
    Of course padded bib shorts are a must if you are putting plenty of miles in.

jonk
    Free Member

I use a spoon on MTB’s and a prologo nago on mi road bike. The prologo is really good

ac282

Its more about shape than padding. SLRs are too narrow and rounded for me. All my weight ends up on middle.

PMK2060

According to my wife I have no arse but find the charge spoon comfy.

mlke
    Free Member

Brooks – specially good on a full carbon road bike to wind up the followers of “the rules”

crikey
    Free Member

Less is more as far as padding goes; the most uncomfy saddles are those with lots of padding.

SLR for me..

smell_it
    Free Member

66kg here, and i love the slr’s and aspides. Prologo scratch i found ok, but not good enough for it to nearly be twice the weight of my slr’s. For comparison i can’t stand spoons and those sdg things that mtb’ers love, both have way too much padding for me. I doubt mind the specializeds in 130mm width, but don’t like the 145mm ones. Never tried a fizik saddle.

edhornby

I used to use spoons but I find that they are a little on the wide side, I am now using Ragley mtb saddles (on both my mtb and road bikes) and they are spot on, as long as they fit your backside then it really shouldn’t matter about the branding

shorts are the important bit of the padding, don’t be afraid to go for lycra bibs without pants underneath or baggies over, they really are the most comfy option

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What Specialized saddle is it? I have a Romin and a Toupe. The Toupe is horrible in comparison to the Romin.

sputnik
    Free Member

And just to add to the confusion , I prefer my Toupe to my Romin .

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a San Marco SKN on my road bike and rather like it.

Got a SDG duster on my HT, I love it my mate hates it

TiRed

Flite Titanium. I’ve retired one of mine after 15 years. Currently running an Arione, but it’s not the same (nice colour though 😉 ). And no, I have no natural padding.

seizednuts
    Free Member

Right, tried the spesh on a 35km ride NO NO NO arss feels like im A wings bitch.

That was saturday morning, Sat afternoon bike shops to see what they have. First off dont go to any of the bigger places They mostly didnt have a clue what they where talking about and trying to get sense out of them wasnt going to happen. Could just be me but ithink experience is really useful.

Anyhow ran out of time so ended up with a bontrager afinity its on sale and return.

Tried it yesterday and its better than the spesh but it still not great.
    I think people are right and i thinking about this wrong, padding doesnt mean comfort.

Some great suggestions. SLR seems to be a popular choice.
    Anyone know where to buy one in the bristol area?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the one that fits. It’s the only answer (and nice shorts)

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve got a lovely slr which you could have for well below your budget. It’s the one with the green decal. I used it for 2 rides before a change of frame forced a change to a white slr….has some clamp marks but other than that looks like new.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Could try a dead chicken…

njee20
    Free Member

Again… Which Spesh saddle? They do a range from armchair to razor blade?

chakaping
    Free Member

Got the Madison Prime with the last bike I bought, very impressed with it.

Cheaper than most, light, v comfy.

(I have medium natural padding btw)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve always used flite/slr saddles and I’ve never found another saddle that suits me as well.

My newest bike came with a heavyish prologo saddle which was comfy enough but not a patch on the selle italia c64 saddle I use.

I have a white/blue Prologo Nago Evo saddle for sale for £80, never used if interested. Looks like the one on this bike

mattsccm
    Free Member

Brooks. You will find one that fits.
    It may take a while that that is a totally different issue.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good shorts is the key.
    Though I use SLR or Flite Ti’s on the road and mountainbikes. With the exception on a Concor Team on my crosser.

The repro Concors, Turbos and Rolls might be worth a re visit? The Concor had a great reputation.

And strangely the Fiziks are the only saddles I can’t get on with, they all seem to have a slightly curved raised centre profile that my bott doesn’t like. Gobi was the only saddle I’ve ever ditched.

stufive
    Free Member

My spesh toupe on my road bike is the best sadlle ive had

clubber
    Free Member

I might be interested in your spesh…

One thing though. Are you definitely sitting on the saddle in the right place. A lot of people I know have found spesh saddles uncomfortable at first until I pointed out that they’re not actually sitting on the spots you’re meant to. Moving the saddle forward a cm then made a huge difference.

TiRed

I found the SLR to be too wide and flat, hence have always stayed with Flite Ti. Was delighted when they brought it back. It is still class leading for comfort.

lunge

Find a shop that does trial saddles, John Atkins at Leamington do Selle Italia and Fizik. You can try as many as you want until you find one that fits. I ended up with a Flite Gel Flow which is really nice for me, your arse may disagree though!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Road bike saddle for the less naturaly padded’ is closed to new replies.