Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Road bike… Rim brakes vs discs.
  • alpin
    Free Member

Would you rather higher end wheels with rim brakes or lower end wheels with discs?

Not quite sure where to go with this one.

Looking at my first proper road bike.

My last single speed had a disc up front and was better around town and in the wet. It was however just used for 10-15km commutes.

Want a relaxed ride for 50-100km rides down to the foot hills of the Alps.

I’m unlikely to be riding in real crappy weather, but an likely to ride down (and up) big mountain passes.

I’m not worried about UCI rules. I won’t be competing.

Your views welcomed!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can replace wheels but you can’t easily add discs to a non disc frame.
    Got discs, love them, easy on rougher mountain road here.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

only got my 1st ever road bike this year… it has discs, i’m used to discs, i’m happy with discs, discs are the one for me…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wilburt
    Free Member

Ah good, a rim vs disc thread, there hasnt been one for a couple of weeks.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Having been a roadie for years, I was never bothered by disks, however having borrowed a friends Giant road bike with them, in my opinion they are good. Add this experience to not wearing out my expensive rims just disks, my next bike will definately have disks…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Disc Debate Quokka is interested in this thread.

njee20
    Free Member

What’s high and low end?

I’d have a Dura Ace rim brake equipped bike over a Sora cable disc one. In fact I’d have any rim brake equipped bike over anything with cable discs.

Hydraulic discs are excellent though, I’d probably compromise on spec to have hydraulic discs if you’re going to be riding down mountains.

PMK2060

As above I would compromise for hydraulic discs but not cable discs. I bought a new road bike 2 weeks ago with hydraulic discs and the brakes are great.

anagallis_arvensis

If I had a nice bike bike without discs I wouldnt bother upgrading just for discs, if I was getting a new bike it would have discs.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’m not really fussed either way but if someone handed me two identical bikes that weighed the same etc…

Disks would be difficult to turn down.

onandon
    Free Member

Depends.
    I like discs and I like rim brakes. If I could only have one, I’d probably go with discs unless they were RS 505;shimano as the levers are bloody aweful and don’t fit my hands.

785S are great, as are sram force levers.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m just buying my second road* bike, it’ll have discs, I’d forgotten how annoying wearing rims out is.

Probably actually a CX bike, as road bikes with discs seem to have forgotten that I might actually want to fit mudguards

sheck

If I wanted carbon rims now or in the future I would go for discs…

kilo

I’ve been looking at a possible n+1 and I’m still looking at rim brakes, in fact discs are probably a slight no, no. if I go for a single purpose nice road bike (cervelo, etc) for what I need a road bike for rim brakes are simple, easy to set up and fix, quiet in the wet, provide sufficient braking and rim wear hasn’t really ever been an issue. I’ve also been long at another decent cx bike and fitting it with road tyres if I went this way I’d definitely go hydraulic discs

kerley
    Free Member

Would you rather higher end wheels with rim brakes or lower end wheels with discs?

How much higher end and how much lower end?

I would take a rim brake bike with £1,000 wheels over a disc braked bike with £100 wheels on it but guessing the differences are not as great as that so I would go with disc (especially if using in wet / on gritty roads)

mooman
    Free Member

After a recent trip to Gran Canaria I have changed opinion on discs. I managed to pop a tyre off a rim descending. First and only time it has happened, but one that can be avoided – so why not.

When I replace the summer bike it will definitely have discs on it; I am hoping they will have made the shifters the same size as Di2 shifters by then too, because hydraulic shifters are big & ugly at moment.

globalti
    Free Member

For a bike that’s only ever going to be ridden in the dry, current best rim brake technology is superb. My hooligan bike has DA with the soft blue pads and the braking surface has that black plasma treatment and they are stunningly effective as long as you keep everything clean by removing brake dust regularly.

For a bike that’s going to be used in wet conditions, discs every time, no contest.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Got my first hydraulic disc road bike this year, was/is a revelation, albeit I got my first hydraulic disc mountain bike in 2008.

Given my RTA from Xmas 2013 was a rim brake fail that resulted in me trying to turn my maxilla/teeth/hand into a jigsaw, I might be slightly bias. 😉

BadlyWiredDog

The rim brakes on my road bike with Exalith rims, matching pads and Yokozuma cables are amazing, significantly stronger and with better feel than the TRP Spyres on my cross bike, but if I were buying a new road bike I’d go for hydraulic discs for…. no rim wear, wet weather reliability, peace of mind on alpine descents.

I wouldn’t choose a crappy road bike with dics over a really nice one without, but I’d compromise a little on spec on the basis that I could always upgrade the wheels later.

njee20
    Free Member

I must say I eschewed my very nice rim-braked bike to take my (still pretty good) disc-braked Bike to the Alps. I wasn’t sure it was the right choice, but the first descent proved it was, they were bloody awesome!

lunge

If I had a nice bike bike without discs I wouldnt bother upgrading just for discs, if I was getting a new bike it would have discs.

This, though with a proviso that they’re hydraulic discs. Having tried the 105 level levers, I’d also likely be wanting Ultergra level and above.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

V interested in this

Verging towards discs but aware that I am terrible about contaminating them on my MTB!

IHN

This too.

And decent cable discs (i.e. BB&s/Spyres) with decent compressionless cables are great, and give a wider choice of levers.

ads678

As always it all depends on how much and how you want to spend you money.

I’d rather spend my money on my mountain bikes, so I don’t have a high end road bike. I have a Planet X London Road with Sora cable discs which are way better than the Sora rim brakes I had on my previous Btwin Triban 5. They have been used on road rides in the pyrenees, including actual moutnains, and where fine.

I also have a single speed MTB with Clarks cable discs and tektro levers and they have great stopping power.

Those saying cable discs aren’t worth the bother are wrong. But other peoples priorities are different to mine and they are entitled to spend their money on whatever they like.

submarined
    Free Member

I had this very dilemma – Choice between an 105 bike with discs and Aksiums, and an Ultegra bike with rim brakes, Kysrium Elites, and over 1.5kg lighter.

I went with the 105 one, haven’t regretted it for a minute, especially when commuting in the peeing rain at 6am and still being able to haul up fast first time. I just prefer the predictability and consistency, plus the power when on the hoods is brilliant, especially as my hands numb up fast in anything remotely cold.

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you’re not likely to be riding in crappy weather, i’d go with the better specced rim brake bike. A well set up pair of quality rim brakes provide more braking force than you can actually use anyway (for a light rider on narrow tyres at least – may be different for a heavier rider on wider tyres).

downhillfast
    Free Member

Discs every time for me.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I went with Ultegra/Di2 hydro’s on my latest bike over slightly lighter rim braked options. I wasn’t convinced there would be a noticeable difference in braking in the dry (wet of course being a no-brainer) but in fact the disc braked bike is noticeably better.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a given these days that for new road bikes you’d go disc. Exceptions being if you want to race, have some investment in wheels, or just don’t like the aesthetics.

I have both and breaking on disc is better but, for me with the sort of riding I do, it’s not a life changing experience and certainly not worth the cost of upgrade. Maybe if I commuted in traffic in all weathers I might feel different.

I’d not worry too much about quality of wheels either as they’re usually crap on new bikes anyway and one of the first things you look to upgrade.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would you rather higher end wheels with rim brakes

All day long, especially as you say you’ll be avoiding the worst weather.

mboy
    Free Member

For me it’s all a question of priorities, what and where you ride…

I’m more of a fair weather road rider, and all my road riding is in the UK on not especially big terrain. I want a bike that’s light, fast, responsive and makes me feel like a pro when I’m riding it even if I’m not one. With that in mind, I’m still on rim brakes (although have dabbled with discs).

If you ride in adverse conditions, on big hills, or you simply don’t mind a bit of a weight gain (or spending a lot more money) for the reliable braking power of discs then they’re a no brainer…

EDIT: For me, the wheels make far more difference to my overall riding experience than the brakes ever could. But I suspect that has a lot to do with most of my riding being trying to keep up with faster guys on flat or rolling terrain over 30-40 mile blasts when it’s not raining.

mrblobby
    Free Member

(or spending a lot more money)

Looking at the Giant TCR Advanced 1, premium seems to be around 200 quid for an equivalent disc braked bike (1799 vs 1999).

For me, the wheels make far more difference to my overall riding experience than the brakes ever could.

+1 for this, but the wheels with most new bikes are crap anyway, it’s just the disc one you get may be a little bit more crap than the rim one.

chakaping
    Free Member

the disc one you get may be a little bit more crap than the rim one.

OP is inferring that he’s not upgrading the wheels.

I think we need to see the bikes under consideration if we’re gonna progress this discussion in a meaningful direction.

grim168
    Free Member

I have a scott ally road bike with non series calipers and swissstop pads. I recently bought an orro with ultegra series discs purely because the wheels looked nicer without the silver brake track on rim (all black rims on disc wheels on an all black bike) Braking in the dry is no different. Havent ridden new bike in the wet yet. I could have got rim durace for similar money and bike would have been lighter but thought discs will be more future proof.

brakes
    Free Member

I have a fast road bike and I’m not fussed that it has rim brakes.
    I have an all-rounder bike and I wanted discs on that for clearance for bigger tyres / mudguards and also for better braking in all conditions and if the bike was laden.
    Horses for courses.

If I was buying a new fast road bike I would consider discs but expect that it would cost me too much compared to rim brakes for similar spec.

mooman
    Free Member

… now if only I had the £6500 asking price

mrblobby
    Free Member

Think I’d probably go for one of these…

Only a shade over 7k. Though would be happy enough with a TCR or the new Tarmac.

njee20
    Free Member

This, for me, in a different colour, with Dura Ace:

fifeandy
    Free Member

This, for me

[img]https://athousanddaysandnights.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/keep-calm-and-go-to-specsavers-3.png[/img]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you can get rim v disc for the same weight than I cant see why you wouldn’t go disc, however are we at that stage yet on ‘normal’ priced bikes.

In the summer I never feel wanting for stronger than rim brakes, now its wet, I can sort of see it, but then again on a road bike on the roads around our way I think you would run out of grip before getting the advantage of the disc power.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Road bike… Rim brakes vs discs.’ is closed to new replies.