Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Road bike recommendations (the best bang for your 'buck)
  • hora
    Free Member

No flex I’m 95kg’s and quite top heavy (oo err) but light, handles great etc. Not a bargain carbon frame with a fancy rear mech and pony brakes and wheels.

Something that (in roadie circles) riders say ‘thats a bloody good purchase/ride etc etc.

Ideas? 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Depends on how much you want to spend

The £2k Storck got some sort of accolade from Cycling Plus, very nice with 105 and sub 19lb build. Nice bit is, the frame is the major factor so upgrading over time would be worthwhile

The Ti Cube (GTC?) is mega VFM, Ultergra bits, decent wheels and the frame is lovely.

Olympia also do some nice stuff, as do Canyon

What’s your budget?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Ribble or Boardman

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flange
    Free Member

Storck

This one, although I think its now slightly north of £2k (not by much though)

titusrider
    Free Member

I was trying to make the same decison a while back and got a cannondale six 105
    the current eqiv is the supersix 105 and very smart it looks too.

otherwise id look at canyon, maybe Giant. maybe just find a good local road shop and get something they stock and recommend?

ericemel
    Free Member

Anything Specialized personally

For me awesome brand if you don’t have specific requirements/knowledge.

phil.w
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Budget? TBH I’m tight on budget. The reason being is if its a ‘fashion’ bike (and a bad purchase) its money wasted.

If it was a bike you could upgrade etc around a brilliant chassis- hold onto then I probably would look at 2k+.

I just don’t want to buy some nice named bits built around a mediocre chassis for circa 1k. I want it to ride so bloody good that it makes me grin no matter how unfit or fit I am.

jimc101
    Free Member

Buying from a direct supplier like Ribble or Planet X will normally get you ‘the best bang for your buck’, Boardman at Halforss, would depend on what stock your nearest branch has. Others to look at are the German brands & shops, Cube (on CRC) and Rose can be very competitive as well.

For everything people here like to say that direct bikes aren’t any good, look at how many people ride them, they can’t all be wrong.

flange
    Free Member

Boardman, Cube et al are all well spec’d bikes on mediocre frames. I’d go for a really good frame with ok’ish bits and upgrade over time.

Enigma are another to consider, their steel frames are lovely.

hora
    Free Member

Boardman, Cube et al are all well spec’d bikes on mediocre frames. I’d go for a really good frame with ok’ish bits and upgrade over time.

Enigma are another to consider, their steel frames are lovely.

Your on the same page of what I was trying to say (what I couldn’t articulate!).

MrBlond
    Free Member

A mate has just got a Planet X Ti Pro Road (not the sportive) which is extremely nice

flange
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with 105, or for that matter Sram Rival/Force. Personally I wouldn’t go lower than 105 as the lever shape changes but thats a personal thing.

Most bikes between £1k-£2k come with Fulcrum racing 7’s or a variation of, they aren’t great but will do for training wheels before you buy something more bling.

Also, what do you intend to do on it. If its racing then some of the Giants are heavily discounted and are pretty good for racing on. In fact, the PX/Ribble frames are decent for racing on, but in my opinion you lose out a bit on comfort. The more expensive frames are comfortable but still stiff where you need it…*cough*

clubber
    Free Member

flange – Member

I call BS. In what way are Boardmans at least, mediocre?

Oh, you mean the brand name, right?

meehaja
    Free Member

bear in mind that road bits don’t wear out as fast as MTB bits. Those lower spec hubs/mechs/shifters may not seem as lush as the higher end stuff, but it lasts for ages and ages and ages, this is why every club has an old guy on an old steel frame with suntour mechs!

flange
    Free Member

Call what you want my man. One of my club mates has a boardman with Sram and SLR’s. I’ve had a go on it and we both agree that its a bit harsh over longer rides. Its also not especially light considering the kit.

I’m not saying its a bad bike in any shape or form, he’s done plenty of rides on it and loves it. Each to their own…

And no, I don’t mean the brand name at all. I couldn’t care less what name it has on it which is why I have both a cube and an On-one.

clubber
    Free Member

Its also not especially light considering the kit.

Boardmans are very light for the money. Maybe the frame itself is relatively heavy but I’m not convinced that that would amount to a light bike.

My point is, if you want to ride a brand bike because it’s that brand rather than a run of the mill one, by all means do so (I ride a Bianchi road bike partly for that reason – I blame Pantani…), just don’t dress it up and pretend it’s for any functional reason…

will
    Free Member

Giant Defy.

Slightly more relaxed than a TCR yet stil a great frame, good spec and good price.

You do relaise that you’ll have to wear Lycra and shave your legs now though 😉

hora
    Free Member

Lycra? I wont offend anyones eyes with bod in lycra. Cough, make myself ill!

flange
    Free Member

just don’t dress it up and pretend it’s for any functional reason…

I had a Cube GTC Pro last year, good kit on it and a decent enough weight. If memory serves it came in at £1900. I test rode the £2k Storck which had the same wheels but a slightly lower spec (105 vs Ultegra) and it was a much nicer bike to ride, much more comfortable but seemed to climb better. It was also slightly lighter. Brand was irrelevent, I actually think the Cube looked much nicer than the matt finish on the Storck that was a bugger to keep clean.

If you’re more fussy about having a branded rear mech, then buy a boardman/Cube. Or for the same money, buy something where the investment is in the frame. You pays your money…

carbon337
    Free Member

TCR advanced are bloody lovely the SL even more so but more money.

Defy less so – they wont inspire you with the grin you want but it will be comfy.

Shifters/levers cost loads so if you want to upgrade later it will cost you get the best you can. Mechs are cheap and the lesser brands will throw a good one on to catch your eye but will then scrimp on calipers or levers.

If it was my money I’d be looking for a nice TCR Advanced or maybe a composite (lesser quality carbon than the adv) running 105 minimum but maybe try and get some Ultegra on there especially levers on a least years model.

ajc
    Free Member

Might I suggest something that has a resale value in 2 months time when you realize its got the wrong head angle.

hora
    Free Member

Might I suggest something that has a resale value in 2 months time when you realize its got the wrong head angle.

😉

Mountain biking is my main hobby but I want to avoid buying something that doesn’t intrigue me etc when I ride it roadwise. I don’t care for groupsets etc.

After all my rear mech is a 10yr old XTR thats been on every bike I’ve owned and my shifters are something like Sram Attack? (I can’t even remember the names!).

clubber
    Free Member

ajc – Member

😀

flange – big difference between what you’re posting and talking about mediocre frames…

flange
    Free Member

Would it be better if I said ‘great frame but not as good as xxx’

clubber
    Free Member

Much better 😀

I don’t disagree with your point, mind. Typically I’ve always gone for the best frame I can though if I’m really honest, beyond a certain point, frames feel fantastic and noticeably better than ‘lesser’ but still excellent frames but don’t seem to make any difference to actual real world results.

hora
    Free Member

I like the idea of an Enigma frame etc (or good/well made steel frame etc etc)

flange
    Free Member

Diminishing returns and all that. Still, I wouldn’t knock a free Parlee…

flange
    Free Member

I can’t see these being cheap, but they do look lovely…

Sancho
    Free Member

I think Giants are hard to beat pound for pound, though Scott Addicts are pretty good value too, discounted as its replaced by the Foil for 2012

NonStopNun
    Free Member

supersix 105 is a good frame and you can always upgrade bits as and when as it needs.

honourablegeorge

Rose Bike sent me a catalogue lately, with what looked like very high spec, ridiculously cheap road bikes.

Have it in my hand – their Di2 equipped one is 2349 Euro

wwaswas

their Di2 equipped one is 2349 Eur

blimey, that is good.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Road bike recommendations (the best bang for your 'buck)’ is closed to new replies.