Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike question: Evening rides out of South Manchester?
  • chambord
    Free Member

Have got myself a fairly old road bike to muck about on as I’m fed up of having to drive out of town to ride the MTB.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 2-3hour loops out of Fallowfield/Withington area to keep me entertained in the evenings?

Would prefer smaller roads as frankly drivers in Manchester scare the bejeezus out of me (And that’s when I’m driving a car).

Thanks.

Bregante

Not a million miles away here in Trafford and I have a few loops out through carrington and High Legh, Great Budworth, Knutsford including Tatton Park then out towards Hale, Altincham way. Around 40 – 45 miles. Not many hills that way though (which is a good thing in my case).

Sorry don’t have a GPS type thingamajig but there are loads of lovely quiet lanes in that neck of the woods.

If it were me I’d head out towards Hale, Wilmslow past the airport and then just do your own thing from there. Loads to go at.

chambord
    Free Member

Yeah I’m just looking on the map at that area now. Also Poynton/Wilmslow way looks quite good. I was hoping for a few hills as I’m riding more in evenings to improve fitness, but maybe it’s not doable in a couple of hours from the doorstep.

Bregante

Dunno really but in general for hills n stuff you’d be better heading out through Stockport way . Looks like you could get out towards New Mills/ Hayfield maybe?

stratman
    Free Member

Try bikeroutetoaster to plan routes. Gives profiles as well as distances and easy to use

chambord
    Free Member

I’ll just ride out that way and see how far I get tomorrow evening after work.

And thanks thats a decent site stratman, the elevation chart will be handy.

hora
    Free Member

Shedloads. Why not do the Airport loop first from S.Manc. From there you’ll see some lovely lanes in all directions going out from the airport.

You could spot them in your car first?

chambord
    Free Member

Yeah the more I look at the map and play with that routetoaster site the more I realise how daft a question it was. I’ve already got a loop round New Mills in the works which should be ridable in 3 hrs (Maybe after a few goes at it anyway)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike question: Evening rides out of South Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.