Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Road bike Qs
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just started “training” (in the loosest possible sense on a road bike. At the moment i take nowt but my phone with me as i have not a clue what spares to take etc and have no way of carrying things.
    Whats needed?

mrmo
    Free Member

food, money, spare tube and a CO2 inflator.

It is why jerseys have pockets.

JoB
    Free Member

it’s remarkably similar to a mountainbike in that you might want to take a spare tube and a pump (one that can get a road tube up to a decent pressure is a good idea), some tyre-levers, a puncture-repair kit, and some basic tools of the kind that will fit the various nuts and bolts on the bike.
    these can be stored in the rear-pockets of your jersey or a saddle-bag

racing_ralph
    Free Member

saddle bag looks the way forwards as i am loving the free feel of nothing on my bike!

glenp
    Free Member

Like all cycling, take a puncture kit and pump, thus ensuring that you get no punctures. (Having also pumped tyres up to 100+ before every ride.) Chains rarely break on road bikes, I’ve found, so that’s not really a problem. A little multi-tool is a good idea because a loose headset or creaking chainring bolt can happen. I just have a little Agu seat pack with the essentials in, including a not-very-good lock just in case you want to pop in somewhere.

sofatester
    Free Member

-decent cycle top will have pockets in the back

-2 tubes
    -levers if needed
    -multi tool (that you can use)
    -frame fitted pump (high pressure)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You enjoying it then Rob??

Like they have said, Pump/tubes etc..

There are 2 cages on the bike bru, cut an old bottle in half, and stick all yer bits in that, fit it in the cage, and away you go…

BigDummy
    Free Member

JoB has done formidably well at getting all of the necessary information in as well as making it obvious he thinks you’re a berk for asking. 😉

I agree with glen that your chain won’t break, but so many sportivistes do manage to break them that a chain tool is quite a good thing to carry.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

You enjoying it then Rob??

Like they have said, Pump/tubes etc..

There are 2 cages on the bike bru, cut an old bottle in half, and stick all yer bits in that, fit it in the cage, and away you go…

Very much so – tis a great bike to ride 🙂 I am looking at purchasing one (had a ghey moment in full lycra yesterday – borat on a bike)

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/114057.html

At 6ft1 with a 33″ inseem would i need the large or Xl?

What size tubes do i need nick?

soobalias
    Free Member

tubes to suit tyres.

i recently had to fix a flat and my topeak pump that was fine on mtb tyres only managed 50-60psi, enough to get me home, just.

njee20
    Free Member

700x23c for a standard road bike, check if you need long valves too.

AB
    Free Member

I use this in my second bottle cage instead of a saddle bag. Much better.

I carry:

2 tubes
    Puncture repair kit (containing 2 x £1 coins and a £20 note)
    3 tyre levers
    multi-tool (with chain tool)
    Spoke key
    Latex Gloves

(And it all fits!)

Mini pump on the frame

Hope that helps

ourmaninthenorth

but so many sportivistes do manage to break them

Overweight forty year-olds heaving their way up the local killer climb on their overgeard Pinarellos?

My contribution:

Small seatpack – check the mini Specialized one (or a nice Lezyne) containing:

Spare tube x 1
    Tyre levers x1 (or x2 if your tyres are stiff)
    Chain tool x 1
    Allen keys or multitool
    Chain link x 1 or spare chain pin
    Park patch kit

In your jersey pockets:

Phone
    House key(s)
    Money
    ID and/or bank card
    Pump – Lezyne, natch
    Food

Come back when you’re so addicted you need all there is to know about bibshorts, baselayers and leg shaving…!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

XL Rob.. 🙂

But have a try first tho Bru..

jonb
    Free Member

Personally I’d avoid putting anything more solid than a banana in a jersey pocket. If you fall off an land on a pump or multitool it won’t be good for your kidneys or spine!

Otherwise the same a mountainbike, slightly less in the way of a multitool and spares as road bikes are more reliable.

A powerlink is enough to fix a chain.

tinribz
    Free Member

Have a Topeak Bike Wedge Bag Small just big enough for an innertube, levers, tesco PR kit, chain tool and a couple of allen keys. Tight but never need to open it except for an emergency and looks unobtrusive. Mini pump on frame.

Stuff I use like food and phone with map in jersey pocket.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I just wear my camelbak

manitou
    Free Member

you could always carry an over filled camelbak. That se :roll:ems the done thing

fisha
    Free Member

for the road bike, i take a small saddle bag with tubes, small multitool etc and a phone.

the pump i mount into the clip by the bottle. Its enough to get you by.

JoB
    Free Member

Personally I’d avoid putting anything more solid than a banana in a jersey pocket. If you fall off an land on a pump or multitool it won’t be good for your kidneys or spine!

in a similar vein whenever i go for a bike ride i cover my chainrings in bubble-wrap, put some pipe-lagging over the ends of my brake-levers and pop a tennis-ball with a hole in over the ends of the handlebars in case i should crash and spear myself on any of these pointy items

be safe people

Teetosugars
    Free Member

JoB – Member

in a similar vein whenever i go for a bike ride i cover my chainrings in bubble-wrap, put some pipe-lagging over the ends of my brake-levers and pop a tennis-ball with a hole in over the ends of the handlebars in case i should crash and spear myself on any of these pointy items

be safe people

Propper Laugh out Loud moment… :mrgreen:

Gary_M
    Free Member

carbon mini pump
    inner tube, sometimes 2
    tube repair kit
    tyre lever
    tiny co2 inflater + 2 gas cans
    multi-tool
    kmc quick link
    small square of old groundsheet to fix side wall slash.
    phone
    bank card
    house key
    energy gel/bar
    couple of zip ties
    length of gaffa tape round pump

Probably overkill on the puncture department but I usually ride when no one is at home to rescue me and I don’t fancy a very long walk home in carbon soled shoes all in back pockets/under seat pack. I’d love to go out with a phone and nothing else but I prefer to be self sufficient.

saddle bag looks the way forwards as i am loving the free feel of nothing on my bike! So why do you want a saddle bag then?

Oh and don’t buy a lezyne saddle bag. I bought one last week, looks great but is worn through at the top where it rubs on the saddle – that’s after one 100 mile ride. Oh and its got a stupid piece of card at the top that won’t go back in when you accidentally pull it out.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Leyzene mini pump, tube, park patches 2 allen keys and phone and if it’s over 50 miles some flapjack and a £1 coin.

All stored in my jersey pocket, it really isn’t rocket science.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d take Park tyre patches to, I’ve had a few punctures that also involved a tear in the tyre and with the high pressures used you’ve got bob hope of riding home without being able to repair the tyre as well.

oddjob
    Free Member

Jeez some of you guys carry a lot of crap with you!

1 tube
    1 lever
    small pump
    phone

For rides over 2 hours
    energy gels or bars

In bad weather (more likely to get a flat in the wet)
    Park tool super patch kit (very small)

Gary_M
    Free Member

So can that small pump get your tyre up to 110psi, so you can get on with your ride. No, thought not hence the co2 pump.;

cynic-al
    Free Member

A powerlink is enough to fix a chain.

Not if only one link breaks

WTF???

JoB
    Free Member

WTF???

rain washes bits and grubble into the road, and the water effectively “lubes” the flint/glass/whatever and the rubber of the tyre to, er, ease penetration

twohats
    Free Member

Mini pump, multi tool, tube, Park patch kit, credit card, phone.

As above, some of you lot carry more stuff than I’d take on an MTB ride!

FuzzyWuzzy

@Gary_M, my Road Morph can get to 120psi with effort (100 easily) and you’re generally fine at 80psi anyway (especially just to complete a ride). CO2 might save a bit of effort but certainly isn’t needed.

Gary_M
    Free Member

fair enough FuzzyWuzzy but I wouldn’t call a 200g pump a small pump.

oddjob
    Free Member

Rubber cuts more easily when wet and the little pieces of flit that cut tyres also end up sitting with the sharp pointy bits sticking up as a result of the rain meaning there are more bits trying to cut tyres that are easier to cut as they are wet.
    Honestly it’s true!
    There are plenty of mini pumps that will get you to around 100psi

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So can that small pump get your tyre up to 110psi

Yes, yes it can.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe my definition of small pump is different from everyone else’s. I would call a small pump something that weighs around the 60g mark. I’d be interested to know which one of them can get to 110psi.

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve got a tiny old Wrenchforce pump that will easily do 110psi.
    As a rule, a narrower pump body will achieve higher pressures, so that fat pump you use for your MTB won’t be so good at getting road tyres up to high psi.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have different pumps for road and mtb.

oddjob
    Free Member

Rubber cuts more easily when wet and the little pieces of flit that cut tyres also end up sitting with the sharp pointy bits sticking up as a result of the rain meaning there are more bits trying to cut tyres that are easier to cut as they are wet.
    Honestly it’s true!
    There are plenty of mini pumps that will get you to around 100psi

oddjob
    Free Member

woops didn’t mean to post that again

oldgit
    Free Member

One tube, two levers & Co2.
    If you have a puncture, you then race home fast to avoid having a second.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Pah!
    Not one of you has mentioned ‘tude’.

Especially on a road bike, never leave home without it or you’ll get nowhere. Naaahhht a’m sayin? 🙂

SB

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Road bike Qs’ is closed to new replies.