Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Road bike QRs
  • gee
    Free Member

My Mavic QRs on the road bike have a lot of lever rattle which is really annoying.

I want to replace them but I can’t see anything I like… Shimano are vv expensive and a little dull, Salsa/Hope belong on a mountain bike, all the silly tiny ones like Mt Zoom are just too scary for me to think about using.

Any ideas? Around £50 would be ideal, pretty, black or red, ti axle?

GB

kcr
    Free Member

I’m old school, and QRs are there to keep my wheels on. Shimano conventional enclosed cam all the way. Cheap and they work.

martymac

ive used hope no problem, they are a bit mtb though.
    i have superstar ones on my road bike, very slim lever for a minimalist look, and they come in a decent red colour which matches hope red pretty well.
    and they work.
    no idea on price im afraid, they were a present.

sputnik
    Free Member

Planet X do road skewers in various colours in carbon/Ti flavour for £20.

FuzzyWuzzy

I use the Planet-X ones on my winter bike http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR/planet_x_ti_stick_quick_release_with_carbon_levers they look very fragile but IME have been fine and I’m no lightweight. Summer bike has Mavic qr’s just because they came with the wheels and have been fine so no reason to change, not sure why yours would rattle. If you’re really worried about the safety of the qr’s then I’d say going with dull old Shimano ones would be the obvious answer.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Does it have to be a qr , I’ve been Useing control tech Allen key ones
    Very neat looking

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I use mt zoom on one bike and Planet X on another. Both fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i like xlite tis – but have to find them NOS as discontinued

fuzzy – the plastic mavic skewars that come on their higher end wheels rattle like hell – an eleastic band to the fork leg and chainstay helps alot.

mike_p
    Free Member

Shimano all the way for skewers, nothing else works as well

They’re expensive on their own, but come bundled with hubs

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Shimano-the best there is.
    Although I’m currently running American Classic as they came with some hubs & liked the look of them on the bike.

stevious

Anyone know where there are some shimano skewers in stock online? Looked at wiggle, CRC, Merlin and some german sites but no luck.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I got mine from ebay a few weeks back

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, salsa on my road bike.

RichT

Shimano or Salsa are excellent. Salsa on mine, but it is a Salsa.

stevious

Cheers, Omar, but need somewhere that will ship to NZ.

Will keep looking.

swavis

Another vote for the Planet X skewers, they do look fragile but have been fine in use.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I use Novatec. Lightweight, nice looking, cheap and secure. What’s not to like?

gary

Main benefit to the Shimano ones is the enclosed cam. Not many alternatives that work the same way – Tune AC14 do and work well, I’ve got a set that have been going strong for years, but they are kinda pricey now.

lunge

Shimano or Campag/Fulcrum for me. Both have an internal cam and both clump tight. Not the pimpest or lightest but very good at what they are there for.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Road bike QRs’ is closed to new replies.