Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • road bike pedals. Any reccomendations?
  • beaker

I’m looking for some new pedals for my road bike. I didn’t like the (cheap) shimanos that I was using. I’m tempted by a pair of speedplay pedals but the reviews are mixed. Should I be considering any others?

clubber
    Free Member

I find SPD-SLs best – work well on the bike and off the bike they actually have some grip which can be a real bonus!

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got some used ultegra SPD-SLs & cleats that I am selling, but are they any different to the ones you have tried?

EDIT: they arent as shiny as that ^^ as they have been used for a few years but the bearings are still going strong, with no play at all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donsimon
    Free Member

I bought some Look for mine about 12 years ago and they’re still going strong. No servicing, nothing, and they do get used, I’d say an average of 200km a week over that period.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

SPD-SL work well for me.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If you don’t like shimmys, try looks (might be much the same) or times.

Speedplay are the worst kind of litigious corporate a-holes possible to imagine:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/speedplay-a-warning

DanW
    Free Member

I really can’t fault Look Keo Classics and have even been using them on my MTB for the last year. Definitely durable, solid and have all the adjustments you could ever need.

Speedplay are to be avoided IMO (‘lovely’ company plus far too much float)- Shimano is another good option

jonb
    Free Member

I like the shimano offerings. THink I went 105. There’s very little weight difference in it and they all work.

Look and time are other popular offers.

Pauly

Look Keos all the way.

beaker

I had the bottom of the range shimano pedal and didn’t get on with it. Felt like I got hot spots with them.

yoda
    Free Member

I’ve just got these and cant fault them so far.
    Time carbon.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve been running look Keo Classics for nearly 2 years and they’re great.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got Look Keo Classics which seem to be pretty awesome. The cleats are made of cheese though, so if anyone can point me in the direction of something more sturdy I’d be grateful.

4ags4
    Free Member

Been using the iclic’s for a couple of months and performance is pretty good.

Haze

Same as Yoda almost…mine are the Fibreflex version.

Very happy with them so far ~6 months.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Time i-clics here.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Chaps, as a road newbie, what’s the difference between road and MTB pedals?

I’m just using a set of spair SPDs I had knocking around (which means I can use the same shoes for both MTB and road) I am however thinking of getting some Triathlon specific shoes, so should I get different pedals as well?

What the advantage of road specific pedals over MTB pedals?

Thanks

FuzzyWuzzy

I switched from SPD-SLs to speedplay zeros a few months ago and no regrets so far (dodgy left knee was the main reason although I’d advise getting a bike fit first as you could just be masking a problem). They feel a bit odd at first (heel can move around when you get out of the saddle until you adapt) but you soon get used to it. Cleats aren’t cheap but last a long time.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I use Look Keo and have to agree with the comments above, very good to use but the cleats would actually last longer if they were made of cheese! Did find that I got a lot lighter set for the cast than the equivalent shimanos.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘road bike pedals. Any reccomendations?’ is closed to new replies.