Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road Bike or fast XC frame as my next purchase?
  • JakeDaSilva
    Free Member

Right, Im all in a quandry.

The stable currently looks like this:

DH: Giant Faith
    DJ: NS Suburban (shortly)
    XC: Spesh FSR XC with a pile of trendy shiny parts and Revelation Dual Airs thrown at it.

However, I about to land myself a larking about in the woods and XC bike in hte form of a Commencal Meta 6.3.

So,
    Plan A:
    Sell the FSR as complete bike, (after switching the Thomson etc for the OEM parts of the Meta) Should be maybe 650 quid.
    Then buy a cheap road bike for some winter riding

Plan B:
    Sell just the FSR frame and chip in a bit of cash to get a Soul / Inbred etc and then build into a whippet XC bike.

Thing is, gone are the days of all day rides and Polaris racing, so don't really have much use for the out n out XC machine. But…

I basically need something to put some miles onin and around central london this winter as I can barely carry my groceries home without having a wheezing fit.

Am I kidding myself that an XC hardtail with slicks is gonning to be appropriate?

If its Plan A, any suggestions on a road bike?

Jimbo
    Free Member

A basic road bike will, for the same rider, p*ss all over any slick-shod MTB. If it's road miles you want to get in, then it's the only sensible way.

JakeDaSilva
    Free Member

True, but its for the benefit of fitness that I'd be out of an evening, so it strikes me that whilst it'd be faster/easier on a road bike, it would be just as beneficial to push as hard cover less ground on a whippet Mtb?

However, am warming to road bike plan.
    Never had one before, any suggestions, is there an STW equivalent for roadies that would be able to advise me with suggested bikes?

the-muffin-man

You won't make a whippet XC bike out of an Inbred! 😀

If you want whippet XC on a budget then get a Maxlight.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A basic road bike will, for the same rider, p*ss all over any slick-shod MTB. If it's road miles you want to get in, then it's the only sensible way.

So, when I'm in the gym you'd suggest using lighter weights? 😉

I'd stick slicks on a mtb to avoid looking like a roadie.

RichPenny
    Free Member

A road bike will be much more fun than a slicked up MTB. I'd say you'd be much more likely to enjoy it – and therefore much more likely to use it and get fitter.

Dave
    Free Member

Cross bike? Best of both worlds…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Do you really need a cross bike in and around central london though. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but it's not optimal for road riding really.

crazy-legs

Dave beat me to it, get a CX bike, best of both worlds.

Do you really need a cross bike in and around central london though. Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but it's not optimal for road riding really.

It's more optimal than a slicked up MTB! Load carrying is just as good, riding position is a lot better.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike or fast XC frame as my next purchase?’ is closed to new replies.