Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Road bike noob
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Looking like the MTBs will be garaged for months until shoulder heals. When I do start riding I’ve been advised that road biking is my first option.

I’ve not got a clue,so it’s over to you guys please:

What do I look for/avoid

Drivetrain/brakes/wheels/tyres etc.

Will I get something decent for 2k ish?

I’ll leave it in your capable hands.

Cheers

jam-bo

You’ll get something decent for £1k. Cycle to work has made that price point really competitive.

thepurist

Go to a proper lbs and get a bike fitting, then you’ll end up with the right size. Use some of your saved 1k above on some decent bibs and jerseys. And remember to blank all mountain bikers when you’re on your road bike 😉

Oh and disc brakes if you’re used to consistent stopping in all weathers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

Agree with the £1000 mark, there’s some reet good stuff out there!

pipiom
    Free Member

Don’t think we have it on the IOM but cheers that sounds like a good price to start at.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d get something comfy rather than all out race weapon. Giant Defy gets a lot of love, I went for an alu Trek which I really like…

anagallis_arvensis

You can get something more than capable for £700

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a Giant Propel with full ultegra groupset and Advanced grade carbon for £1200 in the sales. The Propel might not be the bike for you, but yes, you can get a decent bike for £1k, and a hell of alot of bike for £1200.

slowoldman

What are those Dolans like? L’Etape with Shimano 105 for £850.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive got a Dolan L’Etape with 105.
    Its a lovely frame to ride, comfortable enough to ride 200km on without crippling me yet still has enough zing for quick evening blasts around my local area. I bought mine frame only & swapped the drivetrain over from another bike.
    My 105 is the 5700 10 speed version, I understand road.cc say the 11 speed 5800 series is the best value groupset out there.

Only downside for me is the pressfit BB30 bottom bracket. I really don’t like pressfit systems and thinking of putting a conversion system in.
    I use a set of step down adjuster cups to fit the Shimano crankset.

slowoldman

Well, sounds like I only have to decide which colour!

I don’t suppose you would happen to know if their 44cm frame would suit a 5 foot lady (not me)?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have the 44cm frame! I’m 5’2 and use a 90mm stem. I suppose it depends on physical characteristics, I have very short legs but the stand over is adequate. I’m the classic mesomorph with a long torso & short limbs and find it suits me very well.
    Where are you based, she could try mine out?

slowoldman

That’s a very kind offer muddydwarf. We are Stockport area.

Bregante

tbh slow old man if you’re only in Stockport you may as well go to Ormskirk and let the man himself tell you which size is right. I didn’t buy one in the end but found him very helpful.

limburger
    Free Member

I have a Felt F85. Paid £550 for it two years ago. Has been absolutely brilliant ever since – not done any maintenance at all (lubed the chain a few times, that’s it). No creaks, no rattles, smooth as anything, very stiff, quite light (8.4 kg) and good racy geometry. But despite the sweet bargain bike and the many hours spent on it, I still hate riding on the road, because it’s so boring. I only do it because it does wonders for my fitness and I can go out from my doorstep for an hour or two without having to drive somewhere.

slowoldman

Yes I did know it was pretty local and I had spotted the fitting service too. May well pop up. Cheers.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Don’t spend a fortune because you may not like it

Buy something you can put mudgaurds on, that way if you don’t get into it you can still ride all year round….and if you do get the bug you can buy a nice fancy carbon fandango and keep your other bike for winter

stevious

Some good advice above – particularly about not investing too much on your first bike because if you get into road biking it will most likely become your winter bike.

I’d also add that fit is far more important on a road bike than MTB. If you can get some good fit advice from a shop then that will be more valuable than a few component upgrades that you might be able to get online.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Slowoldman, I’m in Rochdale so if she fancies trying it out for size your more than welcome.

pipiom
    Free Member

Great response as always, but can someone explain some of the details please ie Ultegra? 105? I just want to avoid buying something that is kitted out with the road bike equivalent of: Avid Elixirs and SRAM X5 etc.

Oh and does anyone not wear Lycra?

Or use flat pedals? (I hate SPDs and want to avoid any silly shoulder impact at traffic lights etc)

jam-bo

105 = SLX
    Ultegra = XT
    Dura Ace = XTR

Wear what you like & Use whatever pedals you like but on the road clips & Lycra are betterer.

pipiom
    Free Member

Perfect, cheers JB….I can work with that

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ultegra = XT, 105 = LX roughly. Although the differences are IMHO a lot smaller than the mtb versions. Anything 105 upwards isn’t going to be horrible. Road.CC say this yrs 105 is the best value for money groupset ever although your opinion may vary.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, 105 is very similar to SLX, as in it can be hard to see why it’s worth spending any more sometimes! 😉

Euro
    Free Member

You can get something more than capable for £70

TiRed

I’d spend 1200 on a bike, 300 on kit and the rest on somewhere nice to go.

For the proper road bike experience, you want light, swift handling and comfortable. I’d avoid some of the bikes that have crossed over from mtb makers, and I’d avoid steel frames.

1200 will buy you an ultegra equipped carbon bike. This is all the road bike you could want. The Giant Defy is my first choice if you want disks. It combines comfort with race handling and the compromise is just right. Other “sportive” bikes tend to lend themselves a little more to comfort.

As for lycra. Well it serves it’s purpose. Bib shorts are wonderful, but there’s nothing wrong with some normal (not too baggy) shorts over the top. Back pockets in a jersey will be a revelation too.

For pedals, i’d go with dual sided 524’s. Flat to get you going and spd fancy. There is a considerable benefit to clipless on the road.

Welcome to the club, find a good local bike shop for a fitting if you are totally unsure. And you should have at least a cursory fit to get you in the right place.

pipiom
    Free Member

Morning, I’m really liking the idea of disc brakes?? Any opinions for/against?

And I’m liking the look of this:

Anyone got one/tried one?

https://www.dalescycles.com/bikes/2016-giant-defy-advanced-3-18565

avdave2

I don’t know about the Tiagra version but I’ve got the 105 which is identical but for the drivetrain and I can’t fault it. First road bike for me for over 25 years and I’ve been really impressed with it, fast enough but not twitchy coming from mountain bikes and incredibly comfortable even on pretty poor roads. I changed the tyres for something with a bit more grip as I ride all year in all weathers but the stock tyres are not dreadful and not all that heavy either.
    Can’t really see how anything above 105 would offer any benefit other than weight saving. If I upgrade anything it’ll be the wheels, they are pretty heavy and I think it’ll make far more difference than anything else.

simon_g

To be honest even Sora these days is absolutely fine, my Escapade came with it (was hitting C2W limit) and I thought I’d probably swap it out but just haven’t bothered.

A mate recently got a Btwin Triban 540 from Decathlon and it’s brilliant for £650 – 105 groupset, Mavic Askium wheels, etc. All you need to get started.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Road bike noob’ is closed to new replies.