Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road bike newbie – Advice/help wanted
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hi,

Thinking about getting a road bike since I spend a fair amount of time riding on the road.

Geometry, are they all pretty similar? Im quite tall and prefer to be sat over the bb more (so a steep seat tube), rather than further back

What size should i be looking at? Im 6foot2

Probably got about £300 – £350 to spend 2nd hand, what should i be looking for?

Guessing alloy frame, carbon fork maybe. What gears/wheels are decent?

Ta

rolfharris
    Free Member

You'd be looking at around a 58, perhaps even 60cm frame. The only real option is to sit on them and try them- fit is VERY important on a road bike. Try as many as you can.

Try looking for a Trek 1000SL/1200/1200SL, Specialized Allez Comp, Giant O
    OCR 2/3 or similar. Don't trust low end campagnolo stuff.

Something like this, if it's still available-

http://bath.gumtree.com/bath/58/38649958.html

MrSmith
    Free Member

Geometry, are they all pretty similar? Im quite tall and prefer to be sat over the bb more (so a steep seat tube), rather than further back

you should be sat in the middle of the bike with your weight evenly distributed between bum and hands, with a slight bend in your arms not locked straight.
    you need to put aside your MTB convictions and sit on a few bikes in a 'road' shop and get somebody who knows what they are doing to advise you.
    the first time i sat on the jig bike to sized for my first road bike they said "i see you're a mtb'er then?"

Sandwich

Couple of frame choices a compact which tends to have a quite racy riding position good for short-ish blasts on the road or the masochist sportive rider. There's also a more relaxed riding position perfect for long hours in the saddle. Try before you buy, my long back prefers the more relaxed fit.

aracer
    Free Member

a compact which tends to have a quite racy riding position good for short-ish blasts on the road or the masochist sportive rider.

Compact frames have absolutely nothing to do with the riding position. You use a longer seatpost with one, in which case you end up with exactly the same riding position as a more traditional frame.

pinches
    Free Member

what size frame would i be looking at at 5ft 11? i seam to be quite short in the torso but long in the leg, is compact the one for me?

joe1983
    Free Member

I'm 5'11'' and ride a 57, but as mentioned above fit is crucial. One 57 may not be the same as another. Try as much as you can and if possible try to take the bike out for a long ride befre deciding as littleniggles may only show up after 30-40 miles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road bike newbie – Advice/help wanted’ is closed to new replies.