Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Road bike issues – what frame to replace this piece of t0$$
  • flange
    Free Member

Righty, excuse the language but I’ve had enough.

About two months ago I bought a complete road bike as a winter training bike. Didn’t need it really, but just wanted something to spur me on during my winter training and also wanted something closer to the position of my race bike for this year (current cross-bike is a bit ‘up-right).

Bought myself an Alu road bike, carbon fork and Campag groupset for around £1k. From a ‘lovely, shifts every time, everything works’ point of view its great. BUT (note capitals) the frame is killing me. Both the seat and chain stays are massive and combined with an alloy 31.whatever post its bloody horrendous to ride. I’ve stuck about 300 miles on it now and my back is in bits.

I did think about putting a carbon post in it but going off the size of the chainstays and seat stays I’m pretty certain it won’t make a huge difference. Maybe if the seatpost was a 27.2 then it might but I’m fairly certain I’ll just end up no better off.

So I want to swap the bits to a new frame. It needs to be fairly racey in geometry, so no Surley LHT’s and the like. I had a look at the carbon frames from China on the ‘Bay, but I also quite fancy the idea of a steel frame. That said there doesn’t seem to be anything about in budget (about £350-£400) so maybe I’m forced down the carbon route.

I want to use as much of the new bike components wise as possible, so the steel Italian frames on Planet X are a no go as they’re Italian BB’s.

Any thoughts?
    (Sorry for the long winded post)

MSP
    crikey
    Free Member

Um….

I can’t help but think that you are blaming the frame for a problem which may not actually be the fault of the frame.

Road bikes are pretty much all the same in terms of ‘vertical compliance’ ie; they are stiff. Changing to another frame might not change the problem.

300 miles is not a very long way or a very long time to get used to a bike. I used to do 300 miles a week…

I think you need to look a little harder at the way the bike is set up, at how you are in terms of flexibility, and in terms of how you ride.

crikey
    Free Member

Where are you in the country?

cynic-al
    Free Member

C’mon crikey, a cheap heavy tubed alu frame is going to ride stiff, no question.

OP, what about sh steel off of ebay? Best comfort per £ I’d guess.

flange
    Free Member

Hi crikey

Its a fair point. Just to clarify, I’ve had quite a few road bikes in the past, including a few alloy ones and they’ve never been as harsh to ride as this. I’ve actually had the bike two months but only started using it in the last week or so as I’ve been away with work. Prior to this I was using my Alloy airborne cross frame which strangely is much more comfortable. For comparison, my mate has a CAAD5 (or something) alloy Cannondale and even he thinks its stupidly harsh.

Position wise its about the same saddle to bar drop as my XC race bike and it’s slightly higher than my carbon road bike.

Based in Kingston

flange
    Free Member

Al – I’ve had a look about but it seems like they’re asking silly money for some pretty pi55 poor frames. Assuming its the wanna-be hipsters wanting them for fixies?

crikey
    Free Member

Yes, it will ride stiff, but not to the extent that a carbon framed wonder bike is going to make a magic carpet ride. My suspicion is that it’s a set up problem rather than a stiff frame problem.

I’ve had a million bad backs, all related to cycling, and I’ve never thought they would improve by getting a different frame material.

…and I’ve had cheap gas pipe alloy frames; even raced on a few of them.

Aidy
    Free Member

Get a 27.2 carbon post in there with a shim?

I mean, chances are you’ll want a 27.2 post for whatever you end up replacing it with – no harm trying first, right?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or S/h cannondale CAAD off ebay, could have a complete bike for under your budget.

Road bikes are pretty much all the same in terms of ‘vertical compliance’ ie; they are stiff. Changing to another frame might not change the problem.

Soemoen posted a link on a similar thread not long ago that proved otherwise, they’d tested some bikes in the lab with different forces and measured the deflection, some frames really were latteraly stiff/verticaly compliant, cannondales came out of it quite well, unsuprising given their reputation for making comfortable but stiff aluminium road frames.

crikey
    Free Member

only started using it in the last week or so as I’ve been away with work.

This is the bit that rings alarm bells. It sounds like a new bike, slightly different to the one you are used to, yes, it might be stiff, but I reckon it’s a lot more about you not being used to it, and not being used to riding than what the frame is made of.

I’d recommend lots of stretches, lots of short rides with stretches in between and see how it goes.

I got back into riding my road bike about 3 years ago, and suffered immensely until I got used to it.

crikey
    Free Member

What frame is it?

RichT

Surly pacer? It’s in budget and a road frame rather than touring like the LHT. Got a good review on bikeradar. Ison dist. have these and other steel frames.
    Or a Soma smoothie?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Al – I’ve had a look about but it seems like they’re asking silly money for some pretty pi55 poor frames. Assuming its the wanna-be hipsters wanting them for fixies?

I got one for free off here the other week, dent in the top tube, stuck seatpost, siezed headset and needs a respray but it’ll make a nice project.

flange
    Free Member

One of these

I’ve changed the stem to a slightly shorter one and swapped some spacers over to lift the front a bit. Its made bugger all difference

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, reading between the lines that review is daming with faint praise.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough re ebay OP, how about an older decent alu or steel frame (i.e.not fashionista-fixie-fodder?)

nedrapier

what about some bigger tyres? try on some lightweight 32c – cheaper than a new bike!

slight weight penalty, which you might or might notice, but if it’s for training…

Plus some hold that a fatter tyre has less rolling resistance due to deforming in a different aspect.

flange
    Free Member

Yeah, not a bad call Al. I’ll have a look round and see what I can find – I’m going to try and avoid alu if at all poss though

Nedrapier – I think the tolerances on my frame are pretty tight boss, otherwise I’d be tempted to give it a go..

Hmmm, Soma……

bm0p700f
    Free Member

That review did say it were stiff. It may be a fit issue but it may not.
    Have you tried a more comfortable saddle such as the Sella Italia C2 or something similar? You could also try a 28c tyres as that should help a bit. Also narrower tyres on wider rims like the velociy a23 can also help. I say help but possibly not help enough. The frame can make a big difference to how the bike feels but so does the saddle, bars, fork, wheels e.t.c.

I know what works for me on the rough roads of Suffolk and Essex.
    I know I have no issues on the Traitor Exile steel frame that I ride, it is very comfortable (my own wheels, C2 saddle, steel fork…). Unfortunatly no in the U.K socks them now but I might start doing so again). Also the Tifosi CK3 is an inexpensive frame is lighter and I think it is quite comfortable. They are avaialable as frame only as well.

TiRed

Second hand titanium frame would be my choice. That or steel. Big tubed Al is always going to be stiff.

Cheaper option is 28C tyres.

was
    Free Member

I have one of these:

http://flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=308&id=330

Its more comfy and compliant than my previous bike which was a 90’s Giant 4130 cromo frame.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Condor Fratello frameset for £600 or is that too much?

MrBlond
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

That said there doesn’t seem to be anything (steel) about in budget (about £350-£400) so maybe I’m forced down the carbon route.

Genesis?

+1

the equilibrium frame is jolly lovely.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont know whether its the case for all cheap steel frames, but my Cross Check flexes alot if your in the drops and sprinting whilst stood up.

claudie

I had this problem and couldn’t fit wider tyres than 23mm. Tried carbon seat post with a shim, hope wheels and lower tyre pressures but eventually bought equilibrium frame – what a difference, especially on longer rides

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I also have a chinese carbon frame (FM028) which i will be building back up in about a months time. Definitely not comfy, but fast and stiff.

Tiger6791

How tall you?

Got a 54cm alu frame kicking round I don’t use, comfy enough

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I got an Equilibrium frame from UK Bikes Depot for £240 delivered to replace my alu frame that was killing me. Easily fits 28c tyres with full guards, no toe overlap and the geometry is lovely and relaxed. Its uber comfy on my crappy local roads.

Pic

Edit: Remember and double check your fit as its probably the biggest factor in comfort.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

bigdug, that looks decent. First one of them Ive seen and liked the look of.

How does it ride? Is it flexy when stomping on the pedals?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Its softer than my carbon frame but I wouldn’t say its flexy under power although its not the sort of bike that you are likely to be sprinting or racing on. It really is a smooth ride and as the reviews say its a super confident descender.

tinribz
    Free Member

Did something similar with a second hand Columbus frame recently, cost #175. From the sound of it you don’t seem to want to go down that route but if you did is worth spending some time on watching for diamonds in the rough on lfgss or ebay.it / ebay.de, or Hilary Stone’s site. You would also have to take in to account 1″ forks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks, if I see a 2nd hand one I may be half tempted. What size is yours/how tall are you? The top tubes seem quite short on them. I’m 6’2″ but reckon Id be looking at the 60cm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Come to think of it I have a 56 Salsa Csserol to flog, with disc mounts tho.

lecky94
    Free Member

I went from a steel frame to a cannondale synapse,my back was the same,changed the bar height,swapped my saddle and stuck some fatter tyres on and that made a big differance,but stretching my hamstrings and hips was the one thing that really helped . Going from a mountain bike relaxed position to a low stretched out one after so many years gave my flexability a shock..stretch.. its cheaper than buying a new frame but not as much fun.

PePPeR

Id go along the shim and 27.2 seat post route too. Its the cheapest easiest fix for see if it will make the most difference!

mikey74
    Free Member

That is the biggest pile of tripe I have heard for a long time. They are not all the same and I can confirm this because last year I changed from a Trek 1000 alu bike to a Kuota Kharma carbon framed bike, and the rides are night nd day: The Trek was extremely harsh, whereas the Kuota is so much more comfortable (same wheels, tyres, plus they both have carbon seatposts), and yet stiffer when sprinting.

Aidy
    Free Member

How tall you?

Got a 54cm alu frame kicking round I don’t use, comfy enough

How much are you after for it? I’m trying to put together a road bike on the cheap…

Tiger6791

How about £40 for frame and forks?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Road bike issues – what frame to replace this piece of t0$$’ is closed to new replies.