Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike groupset
  • yetidave
    Free Member

I bought a road bike last winter to use on the turbo. Quite enjoyed doing a few proper rides last year and now thinking of upgrading things a little. It’s currently a 9speed sora or similar groupset. Thinking of young this to 10sp. 105 groupset as I think I can use the same wheels until it’s their time to change. Question is, do I just get a new bike or is it worth changing the groupset. Bike is a spech secatur.

azrael71
    Free Member

I did the same about 12 months back, but just had a frame.
    Got a good deal on a full 105 2×11 setup from one of the big online retailers and a nice set of sparkly new wheels for well under the price of a new bike.

globalti
    Free Member

Secteur is a good bike. I have a Roubaix, which I treated to the new Ultegra 6800 groupset and it made it feel like a new bike, definitely worth the effort and expense. I sold the old Ultegra on Ebay for good money too.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d always say to someone wanting to get more serious about road riding is to keep the current bike as a spare/winter/turbo bike and buy something new (rather than upgrading the existing one). Ofc it all depends on your budget…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Also depends what level the frame is at. And where you are going.

A boggo aluminium frame probably isn’t worth upgrading the groupset on.

A top end frame with a low end groupset on probably is (and get a cheap frame to stick the original groupset and wheels on!)

chakaping
    Free Member

what he said, totally depends on the frame (and if the wheels are cack too)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, definitely get wheels. Stock wheels even on top end kit are very often quite poor. Last bike i bought retail (about 1500 IIRC) had wheels that were available from about 100 quid. A pair. RRP.

But they had fancy spokes. 🙄

They went in the attic.

yetidave
    Free Member

I’m not going to ditch the mountain bike so this is going to be the other bike. But I have entered my first sportive in April with the the proposal to do the ride to the sun 100mile thing next summer as well. This means some bigger training rides. Current frame is allu and is a little tatty, but sound was quite cheap but is comfy. Carbon forks nice front wheel original rear not so nice. Bb is shot, chain and chainrings coming up for replacement, don’t like the shifters (thumb trigger release rather than behind the brake lever), hence the idea of whole scale replace and maybe whilst frame stripped get it resprayed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike groupset’ is closed to new replies.