Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road Bike – Giant TCR v ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just back from the Pyrenees where I had a 2016 TCR 105.

It knocked the socks off my Boardman CX in terms of power transfer, so I am half thinking of looking at purchasing a proper road bike.

It might be a case of waiting for the end of season Giant Sales and trying to get 40% off, however which other bikes should I be looking at?

I love the look of the Wilier GTR frames, but some of the reviews are a bit mixed !

What else should I be looking at? And why are Giant TCR’s soo expensive 2nd hand on ebay??

Ta

steve_b77
    Free Member

I had a Giant TCR and now have KTM Revelator and to be honest the KTM is nicer to ride, it’s more comfortable and feels just as effective on the power delivery side.

I’ve heard the Willier can be very stiff to almost uncomfortable levels.

I’ve got no clue why they cost so much 2nd hand.

avdave2

What about the Defy as opposed to the TCR.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What about the Defy as opposed to the TCR.

I can’t see the point in the extra weight of discs. The 105’s stopped me just fine.

I really would prefer I bike that climbs well too. (not that I have any experience of the Defy) but I assume slightly slacker angles means you loose a bit climbing.

TiRed

Depends on the age of the Defy. Previous models have rim brakes. Mine climbs just fine, but then it is half a kilo lighter than my Propel and a kilo lighter than my old alloy TCR.

TCRs are lovely and a fine all-rounder. Any half-decent road bike will be a revelation after a cross bike to be honest.

eshershore
    Free Member

2016 TCR a very different beast to earlier models

Very impressive ride at ridiculously good pricing. easily one of the top road frames on the market – don’t take my word, read the reviews..

goldenwonder
    Free Member

The TCR takes some beating to be fair.
    Having said that I’m a Giant fanboy, but currently riding & racing a 2016 Cube Litening C62-the geometry has come on loads & now rides like a proper race bike.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m with steve_b77, the the KTM Revelator is just such a fantastic all rounder, once you’ve had a go on one it’s hard to look at anything else. The reviews have been universally glowing too. Not ridden the new 2016 TCR mind…

Wilier’s can be stiff, but depends which model you go for. The Cento 1SR I borrowed earlier this year was stiff, but not so bad it would rattle your fillings out constantly, good for 3/4 hrs in the saddle, much more and it’s a bit unforgiving. The Cento 1 Air is known to be one of the stiffest frames on the market, and uncomfortable over any distance unless on very smooth roads. But then you’ve got the Zero7 which is supposed to be like a magic carpet ride at the top of the range, and the Cycling Plus award winning GTR SL in the middle which is supposed to be an incredible all rounder and has clearance for 28c tyres no less! Don’t expect any discount on one yet though with it just having won an award.

How tall are you? My ex demo KTM Revelator will be up for sale very soon…

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Fair play if you can find any of them in the sales. Pretty much every model is sold out in every size with Giant UK. If you do want to wait then you will likely have to be very quick in order to get one.

iainc

^^^^ that is very much the case. I’ve just had a 3 month old Defy Advanced Pro 2 warrantied and Giant UK had a struggle finding a Medium. They did though, with LBS pushing and sorting it all out very well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m starting looking now with potential for purchasing in the Autumn, at which point the Giant sales should be on.

Mboy I’m 5ft 6 ish, come up small on a TCR chart, however in the Pyrenees I had to make do with riding a M/L 😈

Thanks for all the advice so far. Looks like Wilier look very very nice, but perhaps not the nicest frame to ride for a few hours 😥

avdave2

I really would prefer I bike that climbs well too

Well no one in my group on Sundays club run beat my 50 year old legs to the top of Leith Hill, Whitedown or Box Hill despite none of them dragging disks up them 🙂 The Defy really is a nice ride and to me anyway feels fast and is way more comfortable on 25mm tyres than my steel Croix de Fer on 35mm tyres.
    And while they offer no real advantage in the dry I do like discs in the wet, I just have to remember that the while I won’t run into the person in front I’d better be aware of the rider behind!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike – Giant TCR v ?’ is closed to new replies.