• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road bike – Giant TCR Advanced 1 v Wilier GTR 105 v KTM Revelator 3500
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So its possibly new road bike time.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to 1 of the 3 above, unless I have missed something??

All are in the same price bracket in the sales ie within £200 of each other. Willier & KTM both 105, TCR Ultegra, although I could get the TCR 105 for £1000.

The TCR is the plain, boring logical answer. The Wilier is a gorgeous looking frame, and the KTM is the best frame?

I’ve ridden the TCR, and can ride the Wilier, but the KTM is near on impossible to locate in the UK, let alone find to ride!

What would you go for?

jbproductions
    Free Member

Out of these three, whichever one you like the look of the most. I’d maybe go KTM cos you don’t see many (any) about.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d have the TCR myself, IMO it’s the best looking and it’s the best specced. But then I ride a Chinese bought frame because I couldn’t find anything I wanted more!

lunge

TCR. Best spec, very good frame and generally very well regarded. The fact you can buy it from an LBS and get a test ride closes the deal.

plus-one

Tcr

Nothing plain and boring about it.. It will serve you well and be an easier sell if you ever get rid..

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d have the TCR.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Heart says Wilier, head says TCR 😐

What really is the difference between 105 and Ultegra ?

mboy
    Free Member

Where are you based and how tall are you? Sell both Wilier and KTM in my shop and if I can be of any help let me know.

FWIW they’re all great bikes. Have done a lot of miles on a KTM Revelator as I had one as my main road bike for over 2 years (just upgraded it to a Wilier Zero7 about 4 weeks ago). Have also ridden the GTR SL a bit too. Ridden older models of the TCR but not the new one. All great bikes to be fair, a lot of it will probably come down to which one fits you best.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nothing plain and boring about it..

😆
    it’s probably the most popular price point for far east carbon big brand road bikes, its plain and boring!
    like comparing your 1litre Ford Fiesta to a Vauxhall Corsa and getting enthusiastic about it’s aesthetics and ‘road presence’ while ‘making progress’.

get the Giant, they own the factory it’s built in and more likely to benefit from trickle down of their more expensive frame technology, i guess the warranty is good too.

TiRed

KTM. The Advanced TCR is a lovely bike, bu they are struggling to meet the price point with an alloy steerer.

This from a Giant fanboi with four of their road bikes.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

mboy – I’m 5ft 6 1/2. Would lean more towards Giant M or a 52cm as short legs, longer torso.

Based near Bradford.

they are struggling to meet the price point with an alloy steerer.

You can get the Advanced Pro with 105 for £1400, does a plastic steerer really make that much difference?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve had both the Giant and the KTM (the KTM is my current road bike), I prefer the KTM, it fits me better and seems a bit more alive but no where near sketchy if you know what I mean.

I also find it climbs better than the Giant also, with the same spec and wheels.

This lot can’t be that far away from you?VS Cycles

mboy
    Free Member

You’ll definitely be a 52 on the KTM, a medium on the Wilier, not so sure about Giant though.

I’m in Droitwich just south of Brum, so probably a bit far to be convenient, however speak Col or Louise @ FLi Distribution and they’ll point you to the nearest KTM dealer. They’re only just down the road from you in Huddersfield anyway as it happens!

Not sure who’s your nearest Wilier dealer, probably Chevin Cycles. If you go as far south as Sheffield though, pop into J E James and ask for Gavin and tell him I sent you…

TiRed

At 5’6″ I’d put you on a small TCR. The head angles of the KTM and TCR differ by half a degree – so effective top tube is a cm different for the same size frame. The KTM basically has Giant Defy front end and TCR sizing on the back. I like the 72.5 degree head angle on my Defy(s). A shorter top tube and longer stem will make a bike feel less sketchy because there is more weight over the front wheel.

As for a plastic steerer, well it is about half a waterbottle. YOu won’t notice but you will know the difference.

There are no poor choices at this price point, or indeed higher. Modern geometry is pretty sorted, as are materials and groupsets. Each manufacturer tries to save money to get to a point. It may be wheels, groupset or fork…

Whatever you get, swap the tyres and inner tubes for something better.

luffy105
    Free Member

If you fancy a trip East (Beverley/Hull) then Vive Le Velo in North Ferriby (Just off the M62) are superb for Giant and Willier and will always give good and unbiased advice along with a free coffee. Wilsons Wheels in Beverley are also showing the KTM in stock on their FB page. I use VLV a lot and Ed & Jon are really knowledgable and just superb to deal with. Wilsons Wheels i have no dealings with personally but many friends around here do and all speak highly of them. For an hours drive might be worth getting to sit on all three bikes in one day.

https://www.facebook.com/vivelevelouk/

https://www.facebook.com/Wilsons-Wheels-Beverley-118401638212399/

mrblobby
    Free Member

mboy – I’m 5ft 6 1/2. Would lean more towards Giant M or a 52cm as short legs, longer torso.

Have a good look at stack height first and size based on that, you can then sort out reach with the stem. I’m 6ft and ride a ML TCR, low front with a 140 stem. Same goes for all of them really.

mboy
    Free Member

If you fancy a trip East (Beverley/Hull) then Vive Le Velo in North Ferriby (Just off the M62) are superb for Giant and Willier and will always give good and unbiased advice along with a free coffee

Would have suggested VLV but thought a bit far. But if you’re prepared to travel, Ed is a top bloke. Useful rider too! We had a 4hr delay at Venice airport on the way back from the Wilier launch in June, we got chatting about cars… We literally had to get dragged into the plane and we still hadn’t finished chatting shit!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road bike – Giant TCR Advanced 1 v Wilier GTR 105 v KTM Revelator 3500’ is closed to new replies.