Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike gearing / fitness advice
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

been in the lakes for the last week and managed on the odd occasion to get out on my new road bike.
    my lack of fitness is obvious and i found it very difficult (almost coming to a standstill, but still managed)to ride a very short but quite steep hill in Elterwater. I rode it twice but it felt like I was struggling for gears?

I have signed up for the little dipper in the Chilterns as a target to train for next April.

What I would like to know is if I train well and my fitness drastically improves would that short steep hill in the lakes be like a walk in the park? I believe the sportive i have entered is very hilly and would like advice as to whether i would need to change the gearing or whether fitness alone would make the hills rideable?

currently have 12-25 cassette and a 39/52 chainset.

djflexure

If you want somewhere to go then try 27 or else a compact chainset. I have used 27 for several years and it still helps on occasions even though my fitness levels have steadily improved over time and are now quite decent.

Chilterns aren’t that hilly really – so training and going with 39/25 would not be a disaster.

pdw
    Free Member

I did the Ride 101 Sportive in the Chilterns last weekend and struggled a little bit on the hills, particularly on Whiteleaf Hill where I could only just keep the wheels turning. My lowest is 39/24.

I think fitness will make a difference, but if you’re struggling to turn the wheels now, you’re probably better off with something lower.

I’ve got a trip to the Lakes next weekend and will be taking the road bike for a change (in addition, not instead, obviously), and have put a bigger cassette on so I have 39/28. We’ll see if that makes Honnister and Newlands do-able…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like my compact. anything higher means i don’t get to spin as much as i like to.

bullroar
    Free Member

When I started riding a roadie again about 4 years ago I got a compact with 27 on the back. Recently I put a SRAM Apex mech on the back and a 12/32 cassette for really steep hills.

You get better by riding more hills. I mix training up by riding up a long gentle hill trying to spin, then back down and do it again repeat several times. Also short steep sections in a gear too big to spin. For long hills the trick is to try and keep you heart rate down and breathe deeply. Forget speed and don’t attack the hill low down, keep for the top.

MrSmith
    Free Member

currently have 12-25 cassette and a 39/52 chainset.

that’s a good set-up. surely a 27 isn’t going to make it appreciatively easier to get up stuff yet will make bigger gaps in the gears.

i find the 25/39 fine for 20+% gradients and can stay seated for all but the silly 25% bits.

maybe fit a 28 but aim to go back to the 25? a good target to set as your fitness improves.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Will concentrate on fitness for now and worry about gearing next year. Hopefully won’t need to change anything and my fitness will be awesome! Some good advice thanks

bullroar
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike gearing / fitness advice’ is closed to new replies.