Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike gearing and crank length
  • J273
    Free Member

Thinking of getting myself another roadie after selling the last one.

looking at the spec options im a little lost on the gearing and what to go with.

What do you guys run? Do crank length make much of a difference on a roadie as i cant tell the difference on my MTB’S bet it 170/175.

Am i best with a 175 being a 6fter or does that have not much to do with it?

Options for the build are 170/172.5/175 cranks length with 50-34 or 53-39

Cassette will be 11 – 28.

Thanks

AD

I’m 6ft and run 172.5mm cranks on my road bike (with a 52/36) and a 175mm on my mountain bikes – personally I can’t tell a difference 🙂

172.5mm cranks came on my first road bike – no other reason than that!

I don’t know whether or not that helps…?

mboy
    Free Member

Perceived wisdom is to run a slightly shorter crank on the road bike than on your MTB. The theory being that it will help you to spin a higher cadence better and give a little more pedal clearance in the corners.

Of course though, it doesn’t really matter that much. It’s mostly personal preference. I prefer 170’s on both road and MTB, I like to spin and I prefer more pedal clearance on all my bikes. I’m 5ft10 but with reasonably long legs at 33″ inside leg, so my optimum length (according to the crank length calculator) would be closer to 175 anyway.

At 6ft, running 175’s isn’t going to be detrimental to you I’d say, unless you’re freakishly proportioned. If you are a spinner rather than a cranker though (or want to get better at spinning) then maybe go slightly shorter.

Chainring size wise… Unless you live somewhere pan flat, or can keep up with Cat 1 and 2 roadies already, go for a 34/50 compact.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have a 175 on a 52/39 and 172.5 on a 50/34 and can’t tell the difference given similar gears. Which you’ll get on beat with will be down to were you live and how fit you are.

50/34 is probably the safest bet,

J273
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I’ll go with 170’s then as I’m defiantly a spinner with high cadence and stick with the 50/34 and play safe as I’m defiantly not that fit either.

butcher

I think it is more to d with leg length than height. You could be 5’7″ or 6’4″ and have the same length legs. If you look around you’ll find some recommended sizes based on leg length. Though as with anything, it seems there are different schools of thought, and not everyone rides what you would expect. (I was asking the same questions recently)

TiRed

I’m very average size and proportions and ride 165 fixed, 172.5 road and 175 mtb. I spin. But can’t say i notice much difference to be honest. Shorter cranks might help corner clearance, not much else.

172.5, 52/36 and 12/28 would be my choice for all round duties. Especially 11 speed.

wheelie

I’m 5′ 4″ and dropped from 170 to 160 cranks for road and run 165 offroad. On road never now get out of the saddle more than an inch or two, but seem to have much more power at the beginning of the stroke..much better for us short arses! I run a 48 outer ring too

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike gearing and crank length’ is closed to new replies.