Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road bike for light off-road duty?
  • enbern
    Free Member

Hey everyone,

I’m an MTBer at heart but with winter coming up and a general lack of fitness coupled with some lovely roads to ride on, I want to get a road bike.

Thing is I live in the countryside and there are lots of little wooded shortcuts that I can take, especially on my commute where a 1.5 mile off-road shortcut saves me about 5 miles of road riding.

Ideally I wanted to buy a road bike, as I can get it cheaper than a CX bike (tight I know) and I’d say probably 95% of my riding will be on the road – especially in the case of riding for fitness.

So my question is, would a road bike stand up to some light off-road duty? The actual “shortcuts” I have in mind are actually just mud and gravel, nothing sinister, certainly no trails and a maximum of 2 miles long?

Thanks for helping!

stevious

Probably be alright. You might get some punctures on the off road bits if you’re not careful and if it’s muddy it might cack up your brakes.

joefm

Only reason I wouldn’t is punctures. Your shortcut wont be such a short cut if you have to change a tube everytime

tomd
    Free Member

I’d say it would be fine if you can get something that will take 28mm or 30mm tyres so you can use something tough with some light tread like Schwalbe Marathons. Only problem might be if you have rim brakes you could get some pretty rapid pad / rim wear if your riding it through the winter.

enbern
    Free Member

Hmm good point about the tyres – I wouldn’t be opposed to having two sets of wheels but then perhaps I wouldn’t be saving much if anything?

But the conclusion is – generally – bike and components fine, tyres potentially not?

I’m more worried about the bike falling to pieces as I fly through the woods than fixing a puncture (although we all know I won’t be saying that as I’m cursing myself in the woods)

benp1

How rough are your shortcuts?

Plus, it might not be much fun, which might put you off a bit…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As above, tyre and brake clearance would be my concern rather than the integrity of the bike.

It does sound like a CX or hybrid may be a better option for you rather than a full on road bike – curious as to the comment about price. How much are you looking to spend?

mboy
    Free Member

Look at the new breed of Disc Braked road bikes designed as winter trainers or commuters, from the likes of Whyte etc. You’ll get clearance for big(ger) tyres, full mudguard compatibility, the ability to carry a rack if needed and they’re built for a bit of abuse. Mines gone down many a bridle path now with 25c slicks on. Come to think of it, so has my carbon summer bike too, albeit only when said bridle paths have been bone dry.

m360
    Free Member

Don’t forget, you’ll be arriving at work pretty muddy, and your bike will need cleaning every night to keep it running well…I’d stick to the road.

cookeaa

I would be more tempted by something pitched at the “Gravel / Gnarmac” end of the scale than an out and out CX bike or a proper roadie, most of them have quite sportivey geometry but with discs, and of course you can fit whatever tyres you fancy…

I can attest that while my road bike was lovely to ride this morning in the dry, but the rim brakes were cack for the soggy ride home this afternoon, apply that to even crappier winter weather having potentially coated the thing in mud and it’s even worse…

Law of STW; I recommend a London Road, cause I have one now…

kerley
    Free Member

If you are really only going to be riding 1.5 miles then it will be fine. You may be at higher risk of puncture but all depends what the surface is really.

Until this year my only bike was a fixed gear track bike and I was using that for 25 mile loops with around 15 miles of it off road. I just used more puncture resistant tyres like Maxis Refuse, or better still Halo Courier Berlin. A bit heavier than race tyres but very puncture resistant, the Couriers especially.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Distance matters not as jot, you can puncture/destroy a rim in a few metres of the wrong terrain.

As above, it’s all about tyre volume, and tread if you want grip.

Most road bikes only go up to 25mm, and won’t take guards.

iainc

Doesn’t sound much more gnarr than some cobbled sections of the Paris Roubaix 😀 . bike will be fine, but as others have said something like the new Genesis Datum bigger tyred disc braked bikes will be more comfy

TheBrick
    Free Member

It fine I ride 28 mm and 25 mm tyres and ride light off road all the time (old Lee cooper frame).

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ll add the caviate that I do not run lightweight race tyres. I run Randomeurs, gatorskins etc

funkmasterp

Cotic Escapade would be a good choice. It can run small mtb tyres and large volume road ones.I’ve ridden mine on some rough stuff and it coped well. Cotic had an SS one in their yard sale too, might still be available.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road bike for light off-road duty?’ is closed to new replies.